Other?

DBlanco

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been wondering what "other" is every time I connect my iPhone to iTunes.
Apparently I have almost 2g worth of "other". Can anyone help me figure out what this is and if I can delete what ever it is.

P.S.
I tried searching for this in the forum, couldn't find it.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I found this explanation:

"Other" is contacts, calendar events, notes, cached emails, and some 3rd party apps write data to Other (some write the data to their own 'container'). Normally, Other runs around 220-300 MB in size. It can become bloated due to a failed or interrupted sync, running to several GB if music/videos are miscategorized - in that case, sometimes repeating the sync corrects it, else a Restore is needed to correct it.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the OS resides in other as well.

I know how you feel I have a 8 gig ipod touch I opened it for the first time and it said 6.8 G available from the get go. I assume its the OS and bloatware ( notes, stocks, weather etc.. )

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the OS resides in other as well.

I know how you feel I have a 8 gig ipod touch I opened it for the first time and it said 6.8 G available from the get go. I assume its the OS and bloatware ( notes, stocks, weather etc.. )

No, it's the old bugaboo. Most references to gigabyte (like Apple iPhone capacities) assume that 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. In truth, 1 GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes (2 to the 30th power). The operating system (Windows, iOS. OSX) all use the correct number since they work in binary, thus the counts differ. Advertising uses the larger value, reality uses the true value.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Bummer, I should have gotten the 32 GB I guess.

6 gb isnt much these days...

Remember, the 32GB doesn't have 32GB either. The true number is about 29GB. I have an 8GB 3GS, and it's fairly well loaded up (I have hundreds of songs, not thousands and lots of apps) and I still have 3.7 of 6.76GB available. BTW my other is .32GB.

I am retired, so I do not have any work-related items, but it seems that 8GB will be OK for me.

BTW. There isn't a lot of bloatware (if any) on an iPhone, unless you count apps you don't use bloatware. I wish we could remove the apps we don't use that Apple pre-installs.

Last edited: