FaceTime??? What gives it won't activate

joekawasaki

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone now says Verizon on top next to 3G and Facetime activated. Haven't tried it yet though. Apparently Verizon is pushing out a fix.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to interject, but that article does not help most of us, who are still suffering the problem after trying those suggestions and more. I have logged about 5 hours on the phone with AppleCare and Verizon Tech Support. There is a problem with some non-former-Alltel Verizon customers who did an ESN swap. Engineers from both companies are looking into it.

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Guys, we have the TiPb.com blog for a reason :)

How to fix the Facetime waiting for activation error:

How to fix FaceTime waiting for activation error on iPhone 4 | TiPb

Thanks Rene. It didn't work, though. I think there may be more than one problem going on here. I don't even get a "waiting for activation" message. I'll switch FaceTime on in the Phone settings menu, but nothing happens. When I go back to the same Phone settings menu, the slider for FaceTime is back in the Off setting (it won't stay On)...

I originally restored my new Verizon Iphone from an Ipod touch backup. Maybe that is my problem. I guess I'm going to wipe everything on my Iphone ( :( ) and try setting it up again as a new device.....

wcarlson40#IM

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but of course we know we need wifi to use it (read beginning of thread).

Anyways, doing a hard reset and erasing everything, and then setting up a NEW device in iTunes (rather than restoring) seemed to fix everything. It was a big pain, and I lost a lot of settings and configurations, but FaceTime is working great now!

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Another update, if anyone is still facing this issue...

I haven't heard back from AppleCare about the Apple/Verizon engineer pow-wow that was supposed to fix me. So I went to the local Apple store to swap out phones to see if the hardware was the problem. It didn't make a difference - FaceTime is still "waiting for activation." So the issue is definitely somewhere between Apple and Verizon. Because Verizon completely re-provisioned my entire service, I am thinking this is an Apple issue.

DoctorK

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, my final update. FaceTime works today. While I was on hold with AppleCare, who was talking with a Verizon Tech person claiming that Apple was the problem, my "waiting for activation" message went away and FaceTime started working.

I don't know if it's related to the hardware swap from yesterday, if a Verizon or Apple engineer "flipped a switch" or whatever, but I'm grateful to the AppleCare guy for helping me out, and I'm glad to finally have access to all of the features of my phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2