no its fine. thats your problem right there, is that you need to be able to see it and you cant. same thing happened on my friends pc. let me see if i can remember how to change it. once you can see the file extension, then you can edit it to .m4r and it will work
    02-09-2011 10:49 PM
    1.Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
    2.Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

try that and let me know if it works

i dont know what version of windows you have, so i dont know if thats exactly what you need, but you should still be able to go to control panel and all that and go from there.
    Last edited by JasonG; 02-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    02-09-2011 10:51 PM
    I'll give that a try, thanks. Someone told me I could change the extension in itunes which I did, and it showed up as a Ringtone in itunes, but when I drag it to my iphone, it shows it does not show up as a ringtone. I can drag the file, right? Or is there a special sync I do?
    02-10-2011 09:50 AM
    See,I have my iphone set up not to sunc photos or music, just apps and whatnot. So, basically I dragged the ringtone file to my iphone like I would a file for my ipod. I can do that, right?
    02-10-2011 09:54 AM
    No. You have to do it through iTunes.
    02-10-2011 10:32 AM
    You have to do it through iTunes. If you can see the extension on the file on the desktop, change it to.m4r put it back in iTunes, it will be under ringers. Click and drag it into your iPhone.
    02-10-2011 11:25 AM
    That's what I am saying, I dragged from i-tunes to my phone. That was the file that did not work. I'll try again tonight to get this squared away. The ringtone should not show up in my music on my phone, right?
    02-10-2011 01:18 PM
    Nope it should show up as a ringer. Did you get the file extensions to show? If you did it will say song name.m4a rather than just songname. Just change it to .m4r drag it back into iTunes. In iTunes it will be under ringers, or ringtones i forget the exact name, go into that, click and drag it to your iPhone.
    02-10-2011 01:32 PM
    Yeah, well I changed the file to m4r in i-tunes and not on my desktop. You can do that by showing the folder where the file is and manually changing. That may be my mistake. Tonight I will drag to my desktop, change extension, drag back into itunes and on to my phone.
    02-10-2011 01:35 PM
    Try that, and see if that works. If not i will record a video or something to show you exactly how just in case somehow i mixed things up lol
    02-10-2011 01:37 PM
    Nah, you didn't, I understand 100%, it was just when it did not work last night I flipped. I work with computers enough to get what you are saying. Thanks!
    02-10-2011 01:38 PM
    Haha no problem. Hope you get it to work
    02-10-2011 01:42 PM
    Yeah, so do I!!
    02-10-2011 02:02 PM
    Works now, thanks!
    02-10-2011 09:33 PM
    good to hear. was wondering if you were able to get it. glad i could help
    02-10-2011 09:53 PM
    Piece of cake nOw! Loving it. Now I need to make some more!
    02-10-2011 11:14 PM
    Haha free ringtones are like crack, only not as hazardous to your health
    02-10-2011 11:44 PM
    You got that right!
    02-11-2011 06:32 AM
    As you new VZW folks learn to search and take advantage of old threads, you'll discover gems like the threads where people have shared ringtones:

http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-ipad-wa...-goodness.html
    http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-ipad-wa...-archived.html
    http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-ipad-wa...ringtones.html
    http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-ipad-wa...ringtones.html
    02-11-2011 06:49 AM
    Yeah, I like custom tailored to my situation ha ha! Seriously, will do in the future.
    02-11-2011 08:01 AM
    The info on creating ringtones was very helpful, thanks very much for sharing, and it actually pretty easy, my question is how do you create the file for the custom text message?
    02-11-2011 02:50 PM
    Unless you jailbreak, you do not have the option for custom SMS tones, or text tones
    02-11-2011 02:53 PM
    Unless you jailbreak, you do not have the option for custom SMS tones, or text tones

Ahhh, ok, and since I don't want to "break" anything, I'll just do without those and have fun creating the ringtones, thanks
    02-11-2011 03:39 PM
    1. --

2. No. You'll have to manually delete.

3. This is a nonissue with iOS. But if you feel the need to manually close apps, double click the home button until your fast switch bar opens. Then hold down the offending app until it jiggles, and then press the x in the corner. When done, press home again.

4. ----

5. http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone...der-email.html

6. http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-ipad-wa...ringtones.html
    Alli
    In your opinion since I have originally set up my gmail on my old Blackberry as IMAP, what do you think I should set it up as on my new iphone? IMAP or exchange and keep in mind I have never had any trouble with it as IMAP and have always gotten my email.
    Thank you for any feedback.
    02-11-2011 04:00 PM
    Anyone that has strong knowledge of setting up gmail for VZW iphone 4 I need to ask the following and keep in mind I know how to set it up, I am looking for an opinion on this:

In your opinion since I have originally set up my gmail on my old Blackberry as IMAP, what do you think I should set it up as on my new iphone? IMAP or exchange and keep in mind I have never had any trouble with it as IMAP and have always gotten my email.
    Thank you for any feedback.
    02-11-2011 07:54 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD