I am recommending this app for those of you new to iOS.

I like having a home screen speed dial.

Look up Touch Icon in the App Store. Its 99 cents. Lets you create a speed dial/sms/email picture icon from your contacts. The icon is created on your home screen.

Just tap it and bam!!!!
    02-08-2011 10:40 AM
    Wow!! Thanks, I'm gonna get it!
    02-08-2011 11:04 AM
    Thanks !! I was just looking for an app like this
    02-08-2011 11:13 AM
    I just downloaded it, it looks pretty cool.
    This was one feature I was missing from my Droid.
    02-08-2011 12:29 PM
    If you don't want home screen icons, but still want the numbers easily accessible, mark the numbers as starred in the contacts app, then you can go to your favorites within the phone app and have them listed there.
    swann3030 likes this.
    02-08-2011 12:35 PM
    ^^^^ I was doing that but I wanted something quicker. With favorites you have to: Tap the Phone Icon, then Favorites, then your Contact. Thats not a speed dial to me.
    02-08-2011 12:42 PM
    ^^^^ I was doing that but I wanted something quicker. With favorites you have to: Tap the Phone Icon, then Favorites, then your Contact. Thats not a speed dial to me.
    True, though if you go through it once, the next time you tap your phone icon it will already be on the Favorites page. Not as fast as your method, but both have their merits.
    02-08-2011 12:44 PM
    dont mean to hijack your thread, but....

is there a way to have the contacts pulled up by just typing the first few letters of there name?

for example... to call "brandy" i hit phone, then 2 7 2. all the contact starting with those letter show up.

thanks for the quick dial app. i will be using this for sure. i would just like both. i make a lot of calls.

cody
    02-08-2011 05:51 PM
    Yes, but you have to go to the contacts section of the phone app to do it.
    02-08-2011 11:09 PM
    Another tip: You can search for contacts from Spotlight on the home screen. Also, if you go to Settings -> General -> Home Screen-> Spotlight Search, you can pick and choose what you want Spotlight to search for. You can also change the order to prioritize the results. Put contacts at the top to make sure they pop up quickest. This is a great way to launch apps, too.
    02-08-2011 11:51 PM
    Voice control works pretty good too. Push homescreen button down for 2 seconds and you can speak contacts, numbers, play music, shuffle music, etc. You can also push the homescreen button while a song is playing, and ask who is playing this song, and it will tell you, but we probably already know who is playing the song. Oh well, Im getting off track. Will have to check out the app mentioned.
    Last edited by gammaray; 02-09-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    02-08-2011 11:55 PM
    Dear Touch Icon Creator users,

Recently, one of the user who use iPhone for Verizon version reported that he couldn't delete the icon which he created with Touch Icon Creator.
    I live in Japan and can't get iPhone for Verizon version, so I can't check this phenomenon.

I'm sorry but could you please tell me whether you can delete the icon which you created on your environment?

If this phenomenon happen on all iPhone for Verizon version, it will be a serious problem, so I am now stopping the distribution of this application on App Store in U.S.

I'm sorry but thank you for your cooperation.

This information is also listed the following page.

Touch Icon Creator Problem with Verizon iPhone Setohs Blog

Makoto Setoh
    author of Touch Icon Creator
    02-16-2011 08:51 AM
    Dear Touch Icon Creator users,

Recently, one of the user who use iPhone for Verizon version reported that he couldn't delete the icon which he created with Touch Icon Creator.
    I live in Japan and can't get iPhone for Verizon version, so I can't check this phenomenon.

I'm sorry but could you please tell me whether you can delete the icon which you created on your environment?

If this phenomenon happen on all iPhone for Verizon version, it will be a serious problem, so I am now stopping the distribution of this application on App Store in U.S.

I'm sorry but thank you for your cooperation.

This information is also listed the following page.

Touch Icon Creator Problem with Verizon iPhone Setohs Blog

Makoto Setoh
    author of Touch Icon Creator

Sir,

This app is one of the first apps that I purchased for my Verizon Iphone.

I created an icon, but made an error when renaming the icon. I tried to delete the icon by dragging the icon into the trash bin in Itunes, but that didn't work.

However, I was able to delete the icon by putting Touch Icon into jiggly mode. All of the icons (which were in a folder I created) had the option to delete once in jiggly mode. I was able to delete the icon from my folder.

Hope this helps.

BTW, great app - thanks.

Chris.
    02-16-2011 09:48 AM
    Thank you very much for your cooperation!

It is same for the standard iPhone that name of an icon can not be changed once it is created.
    It is also same that an icon can not be removed on iTunes.

Could I ask you to confirm one more thing?

Can you also remove an icon that placed outside of a folder on iPhone?

Sir,

This app is one of the first apps that I purchased for my Verizon Iphone.

I created an icon, but made an error when renaming the icon. I tried to delete the icon by dragging the icon into the trash bin in Itunes, but that didn't work.

However, I was able to delete the icon by putting Touch Icon into jiggly mode. All of the icons (which were in a folder I created) had the option to delete once in jiggly mode. I was able to delete the icon from my folder.

Hope this helps.

BTW, great app - thanks.

Chris.
    02-16-2011 03:24 PM
    Mine works great and I'm able to delete all of it if needed. However that won't be happening since I love the app!! Please put it back on the market my wife wants it as I told her about it and now we found it to be gone from the market. Thanks for a great app can't wait to get it back!!!
    02-16-2011 04:36 PM
    For something similar, check out QuickBins in the app store. I really like it, I installed it last night now that i have my Iphone. It is an app that you open and you assign people in it. Once open you just drag their icon to what you want to do, either phone, email, message. I like it so far. I will check out this Touch Icon creator also once they fix the delete issue.
    02-16-2011 05:28 PM
    Thank you very much for your cooperation!

It is same for the standard iPhone that name of an icon can not be changed once it is created.
    It is also same that an icon can not be removed on iTunes.

Could I ask you to confirm one more thing?

Can you also remove an icon that placed outside of a folder on iPhone?

I just created a test icon and left it on the home screen. I was able to delete that icon once in jiggly mode. Works correctly for me.

Chris.
    02-17-2011 10:37 AM
    Thank you all for your information and supports in relation to this problem.

According to the information that I have received so far, the problem was experienced by a certain users.

By investigating symptoms of the problem, it is doubtful that cause of the problem is related to this application.
    Therefore I have decided to put the application back on sell.

Having said that, there is a possibility that similar problem may occur.
    I would appreciate your information if you come across something that might be of your concern.

Thanks again.
    02-19-2011 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD