Help with: Creating Folders in photos

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've transferred/synced some photos from my computer to iPhone. On computer, I have photos divided up inside of folders - within a folder. IE: Photos>vacation photos>family photos etc...

When I transfer/sync the "photos" folder to iphone, the subfolders do not appear (vacation photos, family photos). Instead, all photos are dumped into one area and I'm unable to locate subfolders on iphone . . . hope this makes sense.

I'm syncing the photos within iTunes "photo" tab because:

(another question): My computer (windows 7 pc) does not recognize my iphone as an external drive/camera within explorer . . anyone have a fix/recommendation for this?

Edit: Figured out the 1st part of my question after I posted re: folders

Still haven't figured out how to get my PC to recognize iphone . .

Last edited:

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
To my knowledge there's no extra setting to enable being able to look at your phone as an external drive, BUT I'm fairly certain that I tried to add pictures that way (they would go to your Camera Roll rather than your Pictures app) that they wouldn't copy over, but I could back up photos from the phone to my (Windows 7) PC. The only (official) way to add photos to your iPhone is through iTunes.

I have several folders set up like such: Pictures folder (mine's on my desktop): Inside I have sub folders (Kids, Family, Wife, etc). I tell iTunes to sync that main Pictures folder to my phone and it puts all of the folders inside the Photos app. Never tried it with more than 1 level of sub folders, though.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've transferred/synced some photos from my computer to iPhone. On computer, I have photos divided up inside of folders - within a folder. IE: Photos>vacation photos>family photos etc...

When I transfer/sync the "photos" folder to iphone, the subfolders do not appear (vacation photos, family photos). Instead, all photos are dumped into one area and I'm unable to locate subfolders on iphone . . . hope this makes sense.

I'm syncing the photos within iTunes "photo" tab because:

(another question): My computer (windows 7 pc) does not recognize my iphone as an external drive/camera within explorer . . anyone have a fix/recommendation for this?

Edit: Figured out the 1st part of my question after I posted re: folders

Still haven't figured out how to get my PC to recognize iphone . .

You cannot mount the iPhone as an external drive to drag/drop files onto it. Windows will see the iPhone as a digital camera and you can explore the camera roll and pull photos you took on the iPhone off with drag/drop but that's it.

Everything else must be done with iTunes. You can get apps that will let you mount the iPhone as a network drive over wifi such as Air Sharing and drag/drop all kinds of files and view them in the app on your iPhone.

I'm also curious, did you get those sub folders to show up in your photos. What did you do?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You cannot use the iPhone as an external hard drive like other devices WITHOUT jailbreaking. Everything has to be done via iTunes. Otherwise, jailbreak and then download an app that allows you to access the files.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain how you did that? Was looking for this information, and it would be helpful.

You cannot mount the iPhone as an external drive to drag/drop files onto it. Windows will see the iPhone as a digital camera and you can explore the camera roll and pull photos you took on the iPhone off with drag/drop but that's it.

Everything else must be done with iTunes. You can get apps that will let you mount the iPhone as a network drive over wifi such as Air Sharing and drag/drop all kinds of files and view them in the app on your iPhone.

I'm also curious, did you get those sub folders to show up in your photos. What did you do?

On my computer I have my pictures in a folder called "iPhone photos". Within that folder, I created several subfolders. On iTunes, under the "photos" tab, I originally synced "my photos" and placed a checkmark on the "iphone photos" folder, thinking it would automatically create the subfolders as well on my iphone . . . it didn't. It dumped all of the photos into one giant pool.

I then synced "iphone photos" instead of "my photos" which showed an option to place checkmarks next to the subfolders - which I did and then ran a sync. This created separate folders on my iphone. (hope this makes sense, I'm not at home in front of iTunes right now and cant remember exact names of options)

Summary: I originally created a folder (folder A) with subfolders (folders B, C, D . . ) on my computer and synced just (folder A) to my iphone, thinking (folders B, C, D . . ) will appear on my iphone = no.

I had to "select" (folder A) and then "check" the subfolders (folders B, C, D . . ) from iTunes and then sync.

edit: Computer will recognize iphone as an external device (camera), but you have to have at least one photo/file on the camera roll - otherwise computer will not recognize it

Last edited:
Reactions: hugecanoli

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If your computer doesn't recognize the phone, how do you sync it?

I'm also not at home with iTunes, but I know there's not an option in there that I checked. Even on my XP pc at work (that is locked tighter than anything) my phone is recognized as a camera, but I can't access it (work restriction, though)

I get a pop up every time I connect to my W7 PC that asks what I want to do (meaning it recognized the phones camera). Maybe reinstall the apple device driver? Connect the phone, open the device manager, and delete the device. Then scan for new hardware and let it reinstall the driver?

One other thing, though: I'm pretty sure that you won't have any photos to pull off if you're using an app that saves somewhere other than the Camera Roll. There's at least one (Camera Plus Pro/Camera Plus) that has a different default save location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2