Im not very tech savy when it comes to what they can do in a update or not but is it possible? I always liked being able to go on internet if i was on hold or needed to look something up real quick while on a call.
    02-07-2011 03:15 PM
    No ,VZW uses CDMA technology which only allows for one lane of traffic at a time (talk or surfing). It is built into the chip inside the phone. The only way for VZW to surf and talk will be when 4G hits the streets.
    02-07-2011 03:21 PM
    An update can't fix that. For 1, it isn't a fix just the way that specific technology is. Secondly, I'm pretty sure if all it took was a software update, it would have been done long ago.
    02-07-2011 03:22 PM
    thats what i thought.. o well..i will manage.
    02-07-2011 03:24 PM
    No ,VZW uses CDMA technology which only allows for one lane of traffic at a time (talk or surfing). It is built into the chip inside the phone. The only way for VZW to surf and talk will be when 4G hits the streets.
    CDMA EVDO REV A has this restriction, but EVDO REV B allows both at once, but not going to get adopted at this point, with LTE being rolled out to everyone.

If you have a WiFi connection you can do both at once, I've been doing it on my Blackberry Storm 1 and 2's, and now will do so on my iPhone 4.
    02-07-2011 03:24 PM
    SVDO exists on verizon: Case and point, thunderbolt. However, apparently the ViP4 does not have a chip to support it. But if you have wifi, you can surf n talk. meh so to answer your question, no

edit: YES I KNOW THAT THE THUNDERBOLT IS 4G! but it can do it over 3G ONLY b4 i get 5,000,000,000 replies saying bc its 4G or it can over wifi...
    Last edited by s.meezy; 02-07-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    02-07-2011 03:25 PM
    i honestly am not on the phone that much making calls. these days, its all about txting anyways!.. and bbm which i might not have that much longer....
    02-07-2011 03:28 PM
    Major system Software update to EV DO Rev B would do it, just too much money as they move to LTE to make any sense

Sprint, Verizon may roll out EV-DO Rev. B
    02-07-2011 03:30 PM
    Major system Software update to EV DO Rev B would do it, just too much money as they move to LTE to make any sense

Sprint, Verizon may roll out EV-DO Rev. B
    It's not just software on the network end - the phone has to be capable as well, see above re: Thunderbolt - it is capable.
    02-07-2011 04:08 PM
    If you have a WiFi connection you can do both at once, I've been doing it on my Blackberry Storm 1 and 2's, and now will do so on my iPhone 4.
    Maybe on the Storm 2, but not on the Storm 1. No WiFi on it. Trust me, I know. I have the Storm 1 which will be going to the graveyard tonight when I get my new Verizon iphone4 32Gb activated.
    02-07-2011 05:13 PM
    I could have sworn I remember browsing while on the phone while on my S1... i know it didn't have wifi, and really shouldn't have been possible... i feel like it was such a bad phone they messed it up somehow to make it possible... haha seriously though...
    02-07-2011 05:28 PM
    In the little flyer that came with the phone under multitasking it says "While on a call you can access email and even surf the web while using WiFi."
    02-07-2011 08:28 PM
    For the record, the Dual-Mode chip that is used in the Verizon iPhone IS DEFINITELY CAPABLE of both EVDO-Rev. A, as well as Rev. B. Now, this is useless to us unless Verizon were to update their towers with Rev. B capability. No new hardware, just a software update. However, it would still cost money, and I suspect that if this talk/surf was REALLY that much of a worry to Verizon, they would have committed to making this change during the development of the CDMA iPhone... and as we know, they haven't.
    02-07-2011 09:11 PM
    Im not very tech savy when it comes to what they can do in a update or not but is it possible? I always liked being able to go on internet if i was on hold or needed to look something up real quick while on a call.
    Why would you need to? All you need is a computer, or just call back later after you look something up.
    02-07-2011 09:26 PM
    thats true lol
    02-07-2011 09:30 PM
    Thunderbolt will have that feature
    02-07-2011 10:01 PM
    EVDO Rev B will NOT give simultaneous voice and data.

The thunderbolt is two separate antennae, one for 3G EVDO, and the other for 4G LTE. Two completely different frequencies, two completely separate protocols.

Someone mentioned earlier, that it would need to be SVDO. That is the new simultaneous voice and data protocol. Guessing that will be too new for Apple, but it might fit in their ideas of how to stick with a standard technology. I would be shocked to see any Apple phone in 2011 be a dual technology phone (ATT or VZW).

iPhone6 may be close to that, where LTE, and voice over LTE will be available???

I'm going to do some further research tonight to see if the iPhone did have a SVDO protocol enabled on the chipset or not (Maybe the ifixit site???)
    02-07-2011 10:02 PM
    EVDO Rev B will NOT give simultaneous voice and data.

The thunderbolt is two separate antennae, one for 3G EVDO, and the other for 4G LTE. Two completely different frequencies, two completely separate protocols.

Someone mentioned earlier, that it would need to be SVDO. That is the new simultaneous voice and data protocol. Guessing that will be too new for Apple, but it might fit in their ideas of how to stick with a standard technology. I would be shocked to see any Apple phone in 2011 be a dual technology phone (ATT or VZW).

iPhone6 may be close to that, where LTE, and voice over LTE will be available???

I'm going to do some further research tonight to see if the iPhone did have a SVDO protocol enabled on the chipset or not (Maybe the ifixit site???)

false is has a svdo chip in it. look it up

About the ThunderBolt and simultaneous 3G voice & 3G data - Page 2 - Android Forums
    02-07-2011 10:16 PM

sorry if i was abrasive in my last comment long day lol
    02-07-2011 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD