I'm on the list, got a tracking number & am waiting to play. After having been with VZW since they started & having a variety of phones, I have come to expect that VZW will load our new phones up with various pay-for-use bloatware - or worse, disable certain hardware features.

Does anyone have any insight into this? On the iPhone, can your remove unwanted/unused vendor supplied apps without being jailbroke? If you do remove unused apps, does this 'break' OTA upgrades?

TIA - Tom
    02-04-2011 07:33 PM
    Apple SPECIFICALLY prohibited VZW from putting any crap on it.
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    02-04-2011 07:34 PM
    Does anyone have any insight into this? On the iPhone, can your remove unwanted/unused vendor supplied apps without being jailbroke? If you do remove unused apps, does this 'break' OTA upgrades?

TIA - Tom
    The only software that comes on an iPhone is from Apple. There is no Verizon pre-installed software of any kind.
    02-04-2011 07:35 PM
    But don't feel left out! You'll be able to get their media app and vz navigator in the app store!!!!

Yippee!!!!

</sarcasm>
    02-04-2011 07:36 PM
    This is one of the biggest reasons why i chose this phone over any android phone. No VZW bloatware at all on the phone. If you like certain apps from verizon you can download them from itunes
    02-04-2011 07:38 PM
    You can download verizon apps like VZNav, myverizon and vcast but these things will not be placed on the phone where you can't remove them. This is Apple here.
    02-04-2011 07:57 PM
    this is a huge reason i went with the iphone i hated having to root to get rid of the bloatware
    02-04-2011 08:25 PM
    The only software that comes on an iPhone is from Apple. There is no Verizon pre-installed software of any kind.
    Thank God!!!!!
    02-04-2011 08:52 PM
    The only VZW bloatware on the iPhone will be the bloatware you install your self.
    02-04-2011 09:54 PM
    Thank god no vzw bloatware!
    One of my reasons for ditching the droid X
    02-04-2011 09:59 PM
    Jobs will go all mental if he found out his precous iPhone had Vcast installed

though he goes mental when the kids at Gizmodo steal his prototypes and when people jailbreak. Hell, we caused his heath problems

though there are apps on the iPhone (mail, stocks, weather etc) that are there if you like them or not. No way to remove them
    02-04-2011 10:36 PM
    Apple SPECIFICALLY prohibited VZW from putting any crap on it.
    !!! +a million!
    02-04-2011 10:38 PM
    !!! +a million!
    Totally. Why do companies INSIST on putting crap on their products that no one likes simply to say that you did it?

When I buy Hard Drives (external) I format them right off the bat because usually them have some sort of "SmartWare" junk on there. Nobody wants that and Apple understands that.
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-04-2011 10:42 PM
    Totally. Why do companies INSIST on putting crap on their products that no one likes simply to say that you did it?

When I buy Hard Drives (external) I format them right off the bat because usually them have some sort of "SmartWare" junk on there. Nobody wants that and Apple understands that.
    stocks :-\
    02-05-2011 02:11 AM
    this is a huge reason i went with the iphone i hated having to root to get rid of the bloatware
    That and now my phone doesn't look like a giant billboard for Google, Verizon, Motorola, the US post office (oh that's not on there yet)
    02-05-2011 01:53 PM
    I'm on the list, got a tracking number & am waiting to play. After having been with VZW since they started & having a variety of phones, I have come to expect that VZW will load our new phones up with various pay-for-use bloatware - or worse, disable certain hardware features.

TIA - Tom
    Asked and answered ad nauseum... Apple doesn't allow it... AT&T iPhones are clear of all bloatware, VZW will be, too
    02-05-2011 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD