Does anyone know if you need to have the phone for which you are transferring the upgrade from with you when you activate the iPhone on another line? The line that I am using is from my mother-in-law. She lives in another state and does not understand much about how to do anything with the phone (except make phone calls). I fear having to ask her to do much with her phone. Can it be done without affecting her line? I guess I could ask her to turn her phone off but hope that she does not have to do anything beyond that...anyone know???

counting the minutes until the anticipated (and hoped for) Monday delivery!

Thanks!
    02-04-2011 05:13 PM
    Does anyone know if you need to have the phone for which you are transferring the upgrade from with you when you activate the iPhone on another line? The line that I am using is from my mother-in-law. She lives in another state and does not understand much about how to do anything with the phone (except make phone calls). I fear having to ask her to do much with her phone. Can it be done without affecting her line? I guess I could ask her to turn her phone off but hope that she does not have to do anything beyond that...anyone know???

counting the minutes until the anticipated (and hoped for) Monday delivery!
    Who's the primary holder of the account? If you are, then it's relatively easy. Are you primary holder or do you have permission to make account changes?
    02-04-2011 05:25 PM
    Not shure what your asking but this is what i think your saying.

Upgraded to iPhone using Mother-in-law's line that had an upgrade available. With the intention on using that device for your line which was not up for a upgrade yet.

If this is correct, the preferred way vzw wants you to do it is activate the iPhone on the line that it was ordered for, in this case your mother in laws, then swap devices either to her old device or your device, whatever the case may be. Then activate the iPhone on your line.
    02-04-2011 05:27 PM
    If this is correct, the preferred way vzw wants you to do it is activate the iPhone on the line that it was ordered for, in this case your mother in laws, then swap devices either to her old device or your device, whatever the case may be. Then activate the iPhone on your line.
    That's what he's asking, but he's asking for an easy way to do it w/o affecting the mother-in-law.

There are a few different ways to accomplish what you wrote, but the least-invasive way requires you to be the primary account holder for her line (or family share) or have permission to make account changes to her line (or family share).
    02-04-2011 05:31 PM
    Thanks...yes, my husband is the primary account holder. Will this make it easier?
    02-04-2011 05:39 PM
    I had the same question. I am the primary account holder so I can make account changes...How can this be done without affecting the other line?
    02-04-2011 05:39 PM
    what he dosen't make clear is if they are on the same account and stuff. vzw has been cracking down on having a friend upgrade to whatever device their buddy wants but then activating it on a different account.
    02-04-2011 05:41 PM
    I had the same question. I am the primary account holder so I can make account changes...How can this be done without affecting the other line?
    The other phone/line will be unable to be used while you activate the iPhone. Once active, you can swap the ESN/MEID's.. The other phone (non-iPhone) will not need reprogrammed, it will work just fine.

I'm busy at work and don't have a lot of time right now.. I hope this clears up some of the confusion..

Any questions feel free to ask, it may be a bit before I can reply
    kvo likes this.
    02-04-2011 05:42 PM
    what he dosen't make clear is if they are on the same account and stuff. vzw has been cracking down on having a friend upgrade to whatever device their buddy wants but then activating it on a different account.
    This isn't a problem with any of the current devices out. You just have to activate it on the line that was upgraded, to accept the terms and conditions, and extend your contract. You can move it anywhere you want at this point.

I'm not sure if Apple/Verizon will use a different rule-set for the iPhone, that has not been made clear to me, yet..
    02-04-2011 05:44 PM
    Okay, It's not a big deal that it wont be able to be used. I was just hoping there's wouldn't have to be reprogrammed--as they're clueless with phones.
    02-04-2011 05:46 PM
    Okay, It's not a big deal that it wont be able to be used. I was just hoping there's wouldn't have to be reprogrammed--as they're clueless with phones.
    You should be all set
    02-04-2011 06:00 PM
    That was my question...we have a family plan with several lines one of which was ready for an upgrade. The phone with the available upgrade is the one I used for my iPhone. This phone is my in-laws ( yes we pay for her cell). She is not very comfortable doing anything more than turning it on and off and making calls on it. She also lives several states away...so...my concern was having to have her do much with her phone to get the upgrade transferred to my number. My husband is the primary account holder and is very happily taking my Droid X (he has an original Storm) so no problem there...just do not want to fluster his mom...

Cannot wait! My new case and charger and ready!
    02-04-2011 07:33 PM
    Thanks...yes, my husband is the primary account holder. Will this make it easier?
    OK, here's what you do.

#1: Activate the iPhone on the number you upgraded.
    #2: Call Verizon and have them put the old phone on the upgraded number and the iPhone on the number you want.
    #3: Have the holder of the old phone call *228 and hit option 1.

That is the easiest way of doing it. There are other options, but that involves the least amount of input from the other party.
    02-04-2011 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD