There has got to be a way to get around this no early upgrade business.

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas? I don't know anyone in my family that has an upgrade available at the moment. I'm assuming I can call and if I complain enough, and keep talking to higher ups I can maybe get them to budge.

I hope so, I'm definitely not spending 6 hundred and some odd dollars on an iPhone.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

barryweiser

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas? I don't know anyone in my family that has an upgrade available at the moment. I'm assuming I can call and if I complain enough, and keep talking to higher ups I can maybe get them to budge.

I hope so, I'm definitely not spending 6 hundred and some odd dollars on an iPhone.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Add a line and hook it up to a "dumbphone" with no data package. Simply change your current number over to the iPhone when you receive it. It's only an extra $10 a month on a FamilyShare Plan. This lightened the burden of a possible upfront $750 bill. This is what I did...not sure it's an option for you, though.

Reactions: tino72

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Why would I pay FRP without at least trying to see if I can get around that? I was only asking for peoples thoughts, and if anyone has done this already.

Thanks for your useful reply.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Everything I heard was if you were more than a month away from an upgrade, the response was "Sorry, no dice"

as a matter of fact, someone on these boards said that 2/6 was their upgrade date an vzw told them they would need to wait until 2/6 or pag full retail.

Between vzw changing their early upgrade rules and the fact they know they will have no problem selling these? Guessing their motivation to "be nice" is next to zero.

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Add a line and hook it up to a "dumbphone" with no data package. Simply change your current number over to the iPhone when you receive it. It's only an extra $10 a month on a FamilyShare Plan. This lightened the burden of a possible upfront $750 bill. This is what I did...not sure it's an option for you, though.

This sounds like a decent enough idea but then it sounds like i'm stuck with another line for 2 years that I'm not even going to use. Bummer.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
What if a friend has an upgrade on their account (not linked to mine at all). Would it be possible to swap numbers, etc?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be an a**, but people getting around the process by complaining are one of the biggest reasons why Verizon changed a lot of their upgrade policies.

Anyway, I'll be helpful here.

Yes, that's totally legit. Your friend orders upgrade, and you can even put charges on your credit card. You can even have the phone shipped to you. When you get it, you activate it. Then your friend re-activates his/her old phone, and you activate the iPhone on your account. Very easy.

Just a note, though. Once your friend does this, s/he is committing to another 2-year contract AND loses his/her ability to upgrade for another 20 months.

Reactions: eyesofsatan

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Why would I pay FRP without at least trying to see if I can get around that? I was only asking for peoples thoughts, and if anyone has done this already.

Thanks for your useful reply.

So if the iphone 5 comes and they give you an upgrade for the iphone 4 are you gonna cry about that to how they should give you an upgrade? smh

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So if the iphone 5 comes and they give you an upgrade for the iphone 4 are you gonna cry about that to how they should give you an upgrade? smh

No, I wouldn't. I've had a Droid for well over a year now and I'm just not into it anymore. I've been wanting an iPhone for years now but haven't gotten it due to AT&T's poor service. It just stinks that now that it's FINALLY available on my carrier, I can't get it.

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to be an a**, but people getting around the process by complaining are one of the biggest reasons why Verizon changed a lot of their upgrade policies.

Yes, that's totally legit. Your friend orders upgrade, and you can even put charges on your credit card. You can even have the phone shipped to you. When you get it, you activate it. Then your friend re-activates his/her old phone, and you activate the iPhone on your account. Very easy.

Just a note, though. Once your friend does this, s/he is committing to another 2-year contract AND loses his/her ability to upgrade for another 20 months.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
No, I wouldn't. I've had a Droid for well over a year now and I'm just not into it anymore. I've been wanting an iPhone for years now but haven't gotten it due to AT&T's poor service. It just stinks that now that it's FINALLY available on my carrier, I can't get it.

Sell your Droid to help offset the costs of full retail, then you will still have your upgrade. BTW what the hell kind of name is eyesofsatan anyway? :confused:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Did you try selling your Droid? You should be able to get a decent amount for it to offset the FRP. Otherwise, add a line. Besides that there's pretty much nothing you can do.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

That's what I did. Used grandpa's upgrade. He's on a separate plan. He loves his dumb phone and doesn't want a new one. I called Verizon and they said it would be ok. Once the phone comes in, I can just activate right on my account. He even had an extra $50 off, so I only paid $149.99. Also sold my Storm 1 for $100. So iphone cost me only $50 and I still have my upgrade come March 2012. Plus could always sell iPhone 4 if need to upgrade earlier to 5. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: eyesofsatan

eyesofsatan

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
ATTN: Disbelievers -

Spoke to Verizon today, after about 5 or so minutes of talking to them I got an early upgrade credited to my account. HELLO IPHONE 4.

ALSO - Not only can I upgrade now, but my upgrade that was supposed to happen in 6 months apparently still will be there in 6 months. HELLO IPHONE 5.

Thanks for all you're input guys, and to the the folks bummed out about not being able to upgrade early. KEEP CALLING, you'll eventually get what you want*.

*Don't hold me to that.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
ATTN: Disbelievers -

Spoke to Verizon today, after about 5 or so minutes of talking to them I got an early upgrade credited to my account. HELLO IPHONE 4.

ALSO - Not only can I upgrade now, but my upgrade that was supposed to happen in 6 months apparently still will be there in 6 months. HELLO IPHONE 5.

Thanks for all you're input guys, and to the the folks bummed out about not being able to upgrade early. KEEP CALLING, you'll eventually get what you want*.

*Don't hold me to that.

I can assure you that you're not getting an upgrade twice. It's either now or six months from now, not both.

tino72

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

exactly what i did my friend