I can be a heavy data user, and expect to use a lot at least at first. I don't tether or need to use the hotspots. Think this is gonna be a prob?
    02-03-2011 04:16 PM
    Define heavy........ over 5GB???
    02-03-2011 04:22 PM
    data speeds on Vzn are a average of 46% slower than At&t on this same phone. Will that be a problem for you?
    02-03-2011 04:27 PM
    data speeds on Vzn are a average of 46% slower than At&t on this same phone. Will that be a problem for you?
    LOL. Yeah but VZW speeds are more consistent
    02-03-2011 04:28 PM
    why doesnt at&t just sell the ipod touch? because for many people thats what you have with the iphone on their network, faster data? yeah...make calls? doubt it
    02-03-2011 04:33 PM
    LOL. Yeah but VZW speeds are more consistent
    Maybe where you live. I dont live in the sticks. I get constant 3-5 Mbps speeds. Att's EDGE network runs as fast as Vzn 3G
    02-03-2011 04:38 PM
    Maybe where you live. I dont live in the sticks. I get constant 3-5 Mbps speeds. Att's EDGE network runs as fast as Vzn 3G
    The argument is always "where I live I get great speeds". I for one don't care. I live near Philadelphia so I get great coverage and data speeds for all 4 of the major carriers. But you may get consistent speeds where you are and I'm sure others do as well. I did also but overall, AT&T data speeds aren't as consistent as you want them to be.
    02-03-2011 04:44 PM
    In a perfect world I'd rather have true unlimited/unthrottled data. But we dont, so I'm ok with this "throttling policy", better than having a data cap with extra fees.
    02-03-2011 04:46 PM
    My wife streams a lot of music so I wonder if they slow down her speeds will it affect my line? Well I guess it's better than having a 2GB cap.
    02-03-2011 04:47 PM
    The argument is always "where I live I get great speeds". I for one don't care. I live near Philadelphia so I get great coverage and data speeds for all 4 of the major carriers. But you may get consistent speeds where you are and I'm sure others do as well. I did also but overall, AT&T data speeds aren't as consistent as you want them to be.
    Ive been with Att since 2002. Been very happy
    02-03-2011 04:48 PM
    Depends on how they classify the 5%. If it is all users including dumb phones, a lot more folks may fall into that category. I'm not sure how they would do it from a technical standpoint, and only allow a certain bit rate on the phone. Its not cutting off data, just giving you less throughput.
    02-03-2011 04:50 PM
    02-03-2011 04:51 PM
    im not to worried about it. verizon is trying there best to keep the network as reliable as it always has been and i think they will succeed at that
    02-03-2011 04:53 PM
    Nice link.

If you are a data ***** expect to pay more. I'm happy that I still have unlimited. I just set it and forget it. No need to worry and scamble to find a wifi hotspot that isn not always there or open to the public. (Plus the whole point of a phone is to be mobile, not have to stay in one location because of wifi)
    02-03-2011 04:57 PM
    Ive been with Att since 2002. Been very happy
    Yeah I had great coverage for the 2 1/2 years I was with them. No real issues at all that many talk about or perceive to be the truth.
    02-03-2011 05:08 PM
    Define heavy........ over 5GB???
    Probably not over 5GB but who knows the first month with a new toy. I have Sprint right now, and have no probs.
    02-03-2011 05:39 PM
    Probably not over 5GB but who knows the first month with a new toy. I have Sprint right now, and have no probs.
    Ive never used over 1.6 GB's but I dont stream a ton either. Maybe a few hours a months with Slacker. I consider myself a heavy user as I tweet, FB, and do web surfing a lot. I have unlimited data as I dont want to get rid of it just in case.

Oh and I rarely use wifi either
    02-03-2011 05:43 PM
    Ive never used over 1.6 GB's but I dont stream a ton either. Maybe a few hours a months with Slacker. I consider myself a heavy user as I tweet, FB, and do web surfing a lot. I have unlimited data as I dont want to get rid of it just in case.

Oh and I rarely use wifi either
    Yeah I'm like you. I rarely go over 2GB and when I do it's just over. But need that unlimited in case. My wife is part of the group that VZW wants to slow down. She streams all day and easily tops 5GB. And now that she's getting her iPhone back
    02-03-2011 05:45 PM
    Yeah I'm like you. I rarely go over 2GB and when I do it's just over. But need that unlimited in case. My wife is part of the group that VZW wants to slow down. She streams all day and easily tops 5GB. And now that she's getting her iPhone back
    yeah unless you do a ton of streaming, its almost impossible to go over 2GB's. Thats why 97% of iphone users use less than 2GB's
    02-03-2011 05:48 PM
    Thats about 6.25 hours everyday on Pandora to get 5gb.

But you did say all day.....
    02-03-2011 05:50 PM
    Thats about 6.25 hours everyday on Pandora to get 5gb.

But you did say all day.....
    Yep. Basically. She has a closed in office with glass around her so she streams the radio and let's it play in the background.
    02-03-2011 05:57 PM
    Curious why everyone is fixated on 5GB. It is the top 5% of users from what I've read. Yeah, a lot of carriers say unlimited but mean 5GB. I would expect that this is unlimited... A voice call is 80 kbps. So Pandora is probably about 128 kbps, so if you get that much data, all should be alright.
    02-04-2011 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD