So I have current Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330, on which the GPS is so crippled that it mostly works only with VZ Navigator.

Any word on what they will do to the iPhone?
    02-03-2011 03:33 PM
    iPhone on AT&T doesn't use true GPS unless paid for as well. It uses aGPS which does not access satellites directly. So it uses cell towers and wifi hotspots to get info. So if you want true GPS like the Garmin app you will have to pay.
    02-03-2011 03:38 PM
    So I have current Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330, on which the GPS is so crippled that it mostly works only with VZ Navigator.

Any word on what they will do to the iPhone?
    They did not do it to the storm or any of the droids, so why would they.
    02-03-2011 03:39 PM
    Good grief, from where are people pulling some of this crap?

I'm starting to wonder if AT&T hasn't hired people to spread FUD - fear, uncertainty, doubt....
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-03-2011 03:41 PM
    They did not do it to the storm or any of the droids, so why would they.
    Storm does not have native true GPS on VZW. It uses aGPS. And then don't do it on the droids because google offers free real navigation on their phones via google maps/nagivation
    02-03-2011 03:45 PM
    I think this is what the original poster was referring to.

Verizon confirms that aGPS on the Pre Plus is locked down

I am a pre owner, for the next 7 days, anyway, and can confirm it is true.

I am sure that they worked with Apple on this. They solved it, it seems, for Android, I can't imagine them telling Apple tough on this one.
    02-03-2011 03:50 PM
    I can't imagine apple would let them!
    02-03-2011 03:52 PM
    Well I just called to comfirm my order went thru since on my account it still says I'm eligible for an upgrade still... So! ;P
    02-03-2011 03:52 PM
    iPhone on AT&T doesn't use true GPS unless paid for as well. It uses aGPS which does not access satellites directly. So it uses cell towers and wifi hotspots to get info. So if you want true GPS like the Garmin app you will have to pay.
    Not sure where you got this info, but it is false. aGPS *does* access satellites directly. The "a" means "assisted", which uses some other means (usually cell tower triangulation) to improve startup signal acquisition. After startup, it works just like a normal GPS receiver.

AT&T does not charge anything extra for full satellite GPS. Nor would Apple allow such crippling of their hardware, as a previous poster mentioned.
    02-03-2011 08:25 PM
    Nor would Apple allow such crippling of their hardware, as a previous poster mentioned.
    Careful of your wording. Apple would never allow a carrier to cripple its hardware. However, Apple certainly does its best to control how its own hardware works, otherwise there would be no unlocking
    02-03-2011 08:27 PM
    even when I paid for Verizon Navigator on my Curve it would not work with any other application. It would not let the built in camera app geo-tag a picture. I could sometimes get Blackberry's map program to work but I had to constantly pull the battery to do it. The GPS on the Curve really only talked to Verizon Navigator.
    02-06-2011 12:08 PM
    even when I paid for Verizon Navigator on my Curve it would not work with any other application. It would not let the built in camera app geo-tag a picture. I could sometimes get Blackberry's map program to work but I had to constantly pull the battery to do it. The GPS on the Curve really only talked to Verizon Navigator.
    Yeah but pretty much everything on the blackberry sucked I mean you cant compare that to an iphone. The only good thing about blackberry's is the email system. Other than that it doesnt even compare to an iphone or any other high end smart phone.
    02-06-2011 12:22 PM
    Doesn't the iPhone have a GPS in it though? like not a super good one, but it still does. Enough that it can find your location without service, or WIFI.
    02-06-2011 01:22 PM
    Doesn't the iPhone have a GPS in it though? like not a super good one, but it still does. Enough that it can find your location without service, or WIFI.
    The preinstalled iphone GPS actually works really well. It doesnt have voice turn by turn but it still is pretty spot on from my friends iphones that I have looked at
    02-06-2011 01:26 PM
    The iPhone has a GPS antennae installed. It has Google Maps installed, but does not have a TBT app installed. You must buy that separately. Google maps is great for finding routes and everything you can do with Google Maps on your computer. But it doesn't do voice navigated turn by turn (it does have turn by turn, but you must manually advance the turns, and it does not speak the directions).

AT&T offers a app with a monthly fee. Others are available through the app store, either at a one time cost or monthly fee. Presumably any Verizon user will have access to the apps in the app store as well as any app that Verizon may offer.

I reviewed some of the TBT apps over the past few years. Navigon and Magellen were my favorites, and the ones I still have installed on my iPhone.

Chris
    02-06-2011 01:32 PM
    cjvitek,

Can you post a link to your reviews? One quick question, any of them do walking directions? I mostly walk everywhere. (5 miles a day average).
    02-07-2011 09:32 AM
    aGPS *IS* true GPS. aGPS simply uses cell towers to pre-crunch GPS data so that it can resolve location much faster than a small mobile device can in the wild. If you're ever off-grid and away from data the GPS goes un-assisted and just takes a long, long time to resolve.

Google Maps on iPhone offers walking directions built in.
    Garz likes this.
    02-07-2011 09:40 AM
    Those saying that their GPS on verizon doesn't work well might just consider that the GPS reception on the phone might not work right. I've used GPS with google maps and other free location sensitive apps with my BB storm and never had a problem. Contrast that with the Archos 5 I have that is not carrier bound, and is slow to pick up a GPS signal, and drops it easily. Though based on Rene's comment, it might just be that the Archos doesn't have aGPS.

No verizon conspiracy here.
    02-07-2011 10:02 AM
    cjvitek,

Can you post a link to your reviews? One quick question, any of them do walking directions? I mostly walk everywhere. (5 miles a day average).
    Google maps does walking directions.

I don't recall if the others do.

Here is a link to the review index, although I am not sure how up to date it is.

http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-apps-ga...iew-index.html

Edit: Posted link for iPad reviews, not iPhone.
    Last edited by cjvitek; 02-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    02-07-2011 12:02 PM
    Mine works flawlessly. I can confirm that it is very accurate in Cookeville, TN...not crippled at all. Works with Google maps and "find my iphone" flawlessly.
    02-07-2011 12:22 PM
    A Verizon tech told me that new blackberries didn't have the problems my old Curve had, but I was holding out for the iPhone so I was not going to upgrade to find out.
    02-07-2011 01:13 PM
    Apple would never allow it. Vzn is selling the iPhone on Apples terms... not Vzn's
    02-07-2011 01:40 PM
    Apple would never allow it. Vzn is selling the iPhone on Apples terms... not Vzn's
    As much as I would have loved a VZW iPhone 4 years ago? I am glad that things worked out the way they did.

Apple chooses a smaller company that is more likely to work with Apple on Apple's terms (Cingular)
    Cingular get's bought by AT&T/becomes AT&T, and lives up to the terms Cingular agreed to
    Apple Kicks @$$ and takes name, history is made
    Verizon has to allow Apple to be Apple. To "EARN" the iPhone.

Winner?

Us.
    02-07-2011 01:48 PM
    I can confirm that the Verizon iPhone aGPS is working perfectly! I walked outsite, fired up MotionX Drive, and it found my location from a dead start in about 3 seconds with 5 bars of signal on the GPS! It even gets it indoors in my house. My Palm pre could not do that at all. So, fortunately, all the GPS apps will work great. I am so pleased about that!
    02-08-2011 12:38 AM
    Drove to work today with MotionX GPS Drive with instant GPS lock and flawless performance. Verizon iPhone aGPS appears to be unhindered by Verizon, and working perfectly. Such a change from my poor Palm pre that was crippled by Verizon.
    02-09-2011 12:51 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD