Ordered the phone on my moms line. When i get the phone I just activate on my line and drop the data on my moms line?
    02-03-2011 03:23 AM
    Thats what I had to do also
    02-03-2011 03:25 AM
    Same for me also.
    02-03-2011 03:28 AM
    Erm.....will that work? Will they switch the phone line over at that time?
    02-03-2011 03:30 AM
    yupp same hereeee... do you think they my moms next bill will be charged with the data plan or will i be able to fully drop it?
    02-03-2011 03:31 AM
    I hope it works
    02-03-2011 03:34 AM
    Talked to the Apple Representative. They said just order the phone on your upgrade line, then call Verizon to have it swotched over to the new number.
    02-03-2011 03:58 AM
    Talked to the Apple Representative. They said just order the phone on your upgrade line, then call Verizon to have it swotched over to the new number.
    Unless they have changed things drastically since I worked at a VZW store. They have the order for your upgrade placed on that line, using your upgrade to upgrade a different line would mean you would have to cancel the order and have another one placed. This shouldn't be an issue but I don't know if you will have to activate the phone (complete the order) first, or if you can just call and have stuff switched around after the fact.
    02-03-2011 04:00 AM
    +1 this is what I did as well...
    02-03-2011 04:00 AM
    This is pretty cool, i did the same thing.
    02-03-2011 06:10 AM
    yep, i did the same thing! Hopefully the swap will be no problem.

I guess the question is whether we have to activate the iPhone on the upgrade line first THEN transfer to my main line, or can I just activate the iphone on my main line right away (and then canceling the data plan on the original upgraded line who doesn't need the data).
    02-03-2011 01:32 PM
    I guess the question is whether we have to activate the iPhone on the upgrade line first THEN transfer to my main line, or can I just activate the iphone on my main line right away (and then canceling the data plan on the original upgraded line who doesn't need the data).
    I am the primary account holder but ordered the upgrade off my grandmother's line (thanks, Gram!).

Best case scenario, you will be able to call first and have the line switched over before activation.

Worst case scenario, you activate the iPhone on the upgraded line, then do an ESN swap online, followed by re-activating both iPhone and the phone you temporarily "replaced". However, that's like a 3-minute process so you'll only take someone else down temporarily
    02-03-2011 02:46 PM
    I have done this before. Usually I just call Customer Service saying I want to activate a phone, but on a different number than which it was ordered.
    02-03-2011 05:36 PM
    You have to activate the Iphone on the upgraded line then activate their old phone on their line and then you can activate the Iphone on you line. It won't let you activate the same phone on 2 lines or have a open line.
    02-03-2011 05:43 PM
    Ordered the phone on my moms line. When i get the phone I just activate on my line and drop the data on my moms line?
    I did the same thing...ordered it on my mom's line and I'm not even on her family plan. Before I did this I asked a Verizon rep if I could just switch the phone to my line and drop the data and she said sure no problem. Data can be removed from a plan at any time, according to her. I don't think it should be a problem. I also told my mom I would pay for any charges she got (which I don't think there will be any) just to reassure her.
    02-05-2011 05:10 AM
    Worst case scenario, you activate the iPhone on the upgraded line, then do an ESN swap online, followed by re-activating both iPhone and the phone you temporarily "replaced". However, that's like a 3-minute process so you'll only take someone else down temporarily
    Verizon reps have been pretty consistent on saying you'll have to do ^^^^
    02-05-2011 08:16 AM
    Verizon reps have been pretty consistent on saying you'll have to do ^^^^
    I ordered the iphone for my wife, but only my line was eligible for an upgrade. I tried to transfer the upgrade to her number when I did the pre-order online (my number is the master number for the account and her line is an additional line on my account), but it would not let me. I just ordered the iphone on my line instead. If I read the posts correctly when the iphone arrives today I have to connect it to itunes, activate it on my line (which will deactivate my phone), then call customer service to switch the iphone to her line? That would mean I would likely have to re-activate the iphone on her line and then re-activate my phone because the iphone knocked it off. I am sure it will only take 5 - 10 minutes with customer service but that seems like a real pain. There isn't an option on the itunes activation to activate under a different number/line on your account?
    02-07-2011 10:35 AM
    I was not eligible for an upgrade so I had my Grandpa use his upgrade to order an iPhone for me. He is not on my account and has his own separate account.

Ok so I just got off the phone with Verizon. I explained to them the situation and asked how I should go about activating the phone on my account. They told me to follow instructions and call in to activate. Once I call in, I would have to accept the terms and conditions on his line ( I added myself as an account manager to his line) then when I continue to activate the phone, all I need to do is activate under my phone # (I guess it asks for a phone number for activation). That's it. It will activate under my number. Now he has a dumb phone with no data. I asked if this would add data to his line and if I would have to cancel it. They said no, it will only add the data plan to the phone # that the phone is activated on.

So it seems pretty simple. Hope this helps others that did the same thing as I
    02-07-2011 11:45 AM
    Ok so i just got my phone and switched lines. its easy

1 install it with itunes activate it on line it was ordered from
    2 call vzw(*611) separate line, not being used to transfer phones
    3 they will have you turn off phones and then dial *228 on both phones
    4 enjoy your iphone

On a side note my $6.xx droid insurance carried onto the iphone plan. I talked to csr and she said the insurances was still active. So im not sure how thats going to play out
    02-07-2011 02:35 PM
    All I had to do is activate the Iphone on the line I used the upgrade, then re-activated the old phone on that line, then I dialed *228 on the iphone and followed the directions to activate it and it worked beautifully.
    Last edited by gamecocks524; 02-07-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    02-07-2011 02:43 PM
    Aw this sucks... I have to wait for one of my roommates to get home to use their phone to call. They all have Alltel does anyone know the number i need to call for verizon since im not just going to be able to dial *661
    02-07-2011 03:31 PM
    aw this sucks... I have to wait for one of my roommates to get home to use their phone to call. They all have alltel does anyone know the number i need to call for verizon since im not just going to be able to dial *661
    1-800-922-0204
    02-08-2011 11:49 AM
    looks like an easy process, Didn't order phone last week because i couldn't transfer upgrade. Will temporarily signing up for data on the line who had the upgrade incur a charge? And you can definitely cancel it right? Don't want to be stuck with data plan on both lines
    02-08-2011 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD