Official Verizon iPhone order thread/tracker

Sosai X

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine is sitting at the FedEx sorting facility 15 minutes from my home in Scottsdale - can't wait!

UPDATE - This is weird - now it's saying it's in Ontario, CA?

Feb 5, 2011 8:30 PM Left FedEx origin facility ONTARIO, CA
Feb 5, 2011 7:39 PM At local FedEx facility PHOENIX, AZ
Feb 5, 2011 7:37 AM At dest sort facility PHOENIX, AZ
Feb 4, 2011 7:05 AM Left FedEx origin facility ONTARIO, CA
Feb 4, 2011 6:00 AM Picked up ONTARIO, CA
Feb 4, 2011 5:14 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

kevin.py

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me with an Amazon order 2 months ago. It originated 30 minutes from me but FedEx then sent it 200 miles away to a sorting facility so it could be sent right back to me. Weird.

FedEx and UPS are weird like that. I've had a shipment originate in New York, NY (I live 30 minutes away in Nassau County), but because it was air, it went to Baltimore I believe and came back. For some reason, if it's shipped air it always ends up on an airplane b/c the air and ground business are separate units for both companies. Only way for their system to get it to the right destination. It'll almost surely get there on time though.

aviationwiz

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
the air and ground business are separate units for both companies.

This is true of FedEx, but not UPS. At FedEx, you have the FedEx Express and FedEx Ground divisions, where the ground subsidiary includes the FedEx Home Delivery operation. A driver for FedEx Express won't drop off a FedEx Ground package, and vice-versa.

At UPS - everything is integrated. One company handles all Ground, Air, and International shipments, and one driver delivers all those shipments on their regular route. So instead of having 3 drivers deliver packages in one area (Express, Ground, and Home Delivery for FedEx), UPS only has one driver in each area delivering packages, which helps cut down on costs.

This integration also allows UPS to save on transportation costs. Example: You send a package 2nd Day Air from Minneapolis to Chicago. Instead of flying that package down to Chicago, UPS will put it on the next truck down, saving costs, while still meeting the delivery guarantee of 2 business days.

dirtracer8787

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
When I type in my 16 digit number I get Here is the status of your order.

5704180544*:*
Order Number: 9747
Tracking Number:208.111.227.129
Courier: MC6

What does this mean?

kevin.py

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is true of FedEx, but not UPS. At FedEx, you have the FedEx Express and FedEx Ground divisions, where the ground subsidiary includes the FedEx Home Delivery operation. A driver for FedEx Express won't drop off a FedEx Ground package, and vice-versa.

At UPS - everything is integrated. One company handles all Ground, Air, and International shipments, and one driver delivers all those shipments on their regular route. So instead of having 3 drivers deliver packages in one area (Express, Ground, and Home Delivery for FedEx), UPS only has one driver in each area delivering packages, which helps cut down on costs.

This integration also allows UPS to save on transportation costs. Example: You send a package 2nd Day Air from Minneapolis to Chicago. Instead of flying that package down to Chicago, UPS will put it on the next truck down, saving costs, while still meeting the delivery guarantee of 2 business days.

Well yes, FedEx' units are complete separate, it bought RPS back in the day and people still own those routes. For UPS, I should've clarified better, the Air and Ground shipments are moved completely differently around the country. I know for a fact that when we've had these really bad storms recently, drivers were given a choice whether to come in or not, and some days UPS even canceled delivery. But Air still almost always got delivered because of commitment times.

Reactions: dirtracer8787

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner