Only thing holding me back

jor-el

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I got the Droid1 the day it came out. It has become a lil glitchy as of late. I am thinking of trying the iphone but one thing that has me a lil concerned is the fact that I cant change the battery. I am a heavy user and regularly need to pop in my spare. How does the current iphone4 do with battery use? I know it may be different on vzw vs att but it should be in the same ballpark as far as usage, or am I way off?

matt

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone 4 dock with emergency battery. It comes with a spare pack that you can plug into the bottom of the iPhone for an extra 3 hours of talk time. The battery times are listed on the apple site, but in all reality the life from what I hear is:

3-4 days with LIGHT use
1-1.5 days with regular use
.75-1 day with heavy use

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If the battery on the iPhone is anything remotely close to the battery on the iPad, then we should be good. I was wondering the same thing myself. But, honestly Apple has a really decent track record for the battery life of their products. iOS (for the most part) is not necessarily a power hungry OS unless coerced by the user to be so (constant multitasking and multiple power draining apps running in the background.). I will say this, I use the garbage out of my phones during the day. I had a Blackberry Storm 2 and by the end of the day it was only about 3/4 dead. I went to the Droid 2 about 3 months ago and I can barely make it through the day on a solid charge. The way I see it, I can only go up from here. But I know for a fact that Apple products handle their battery usage very efficiently. Speaking of which...is it Feb 3rd yet?!?!?! :)

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know a few people with iphone 4's on at&t and they get better battery life than I do with most of the droid's I had so I am happy it is not abysmal like on the HTC phones

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 battery life is better than any high end media-centric device and that includes all the Android devices. I've had all versions of the iPhone and the 4 was tremendous. It was totally unexpected because when I had the 3GS I would always have to charge throughout the day. But iPhone 4 has excellent battery life.

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 battery life is better than any high end media-centric device and that includes all the Android devices.

What about my underclocked and undervolted Droid2? (...any, you say?)

OP: if it is "bad" there are plenty of ways around this... Morphie Juice Pack, external rechargeable battery packs, etc etc ad infinitum... Everyone makes accessories for this phone, and there shouldn't be a problem at all

jor-el

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I went from a Curve to a Storm to the Droid1 and I had decent battery experience with all 3. But there were days when I need a charge or extra battery. I will look into the dock. thanks. Im ready for the 3rd now!

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I went from a Curve to a Storm to the Droid1 and I have decent battery experience with all 3. But there were days when I need a charge or extra battery. I will look into the dock. thanks. Im ready for the 3rd now!

If you think the Storm has decent battery life, then you will love the iPhone 4 battery life

beto89

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 battery life is better than any high end media-centric device and that includes all the Android devices. I've had all versions of the iPhone and the 4 was tremendous. It was totally unexpected because when I had the 3GS I would always have to charge throughout the day. But iPhone 4 has excellent battery life.

+1
I remember that my old iphone 3g would last me all day with heavy usage. All the android phones I've had are not extremely bad, but definitely drain faster than the iphone. Apple is very good with battery life and durability on their products.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you think the Storm has decent battery life, then you will love the iPhone 4 battery life

Took the words right out of my mouth.

+1
I remember that my old iphone 3g would last me all day with heavy usage. All the android phones I've had are not extremely bad, but definitely drain faster than the iphone. Apple is very good with battery life and durability on their products.

My iPhone 3G's battery was also fantastic. One of the longest lasting phones I've had.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What about my underclocked and undervolted Droid2? (...any, you say?)

OP: if it is "bad" there are plenty of ways around this... Morphie Juice Pack, external rechargeable battery packs, etc etc ad infinitum... Everyone makes accessories for this phone, and there shouldn't be a problem at all

Yes. I underclocked my EVO and the battery was still not as good as the iPhone 4. If I have to underclock a device and lose processing power to gain battery life then I'm going to get another device.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a palm pre plus. Doing nothing chews through battery life like there is no tomorrow.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Guessing that is one of the "compromises" that Tim Cook alluded to that Apple wasn't willing to make...

Yeah battery life is terrible on 4G. It's one of the features not even worth using. I just don't like having to toggle things on and off to preserve battery life. So for the entire 5 months I had the EVO the 4G probably was on a couple times for a few mins.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone 3G's battery was also fantastic. One of the longest lasting phones I've had.

The battery on the iPhone 4 is even better. Had the 3G for 2 years and noticed the difference immediately after upgrading last summer. I thought the 3G had a pretty good battery too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2