Can't Pre-order on 2/3 unless eligible for upgrade?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
If you read further that too is pure speculation. Just another "I spoke to a rep" thread. Still no info on adding a line though.

OK I just sent Verizon an e-mail. When I get the response, I'll post the entire e-mail here.

I asked if you need to be eligible for an upgrade to pre-order, if you can use alternate (transfer your) upgrade, and when will it ship if I pre-order. I didn't ask about adding a line, bc that wasn't relevant to my situation (sorry) but the first question should also answer the adding a line question.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
OK I just sent Verizon an e-mail. When I get the response, I'll post the entire e-mail here.

I asked if you need to be eligible for an upgrade to pre-order, if you can use alternate (transfer your) upgrade, and when will it ship if I pre-order. I didn't ask about adding a line, bc that wasn't relevant to my situation (sorry) but the first question should also answer the adding a line question.

I, too, just sent an email asking if you are paying full retail are you able to pre-order.

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The most annoying thing with Verizon and this release is all you seem to get is a representative's interpretation of how it will go. They were obviously not properly trained on how the procedure will work, so you will get members saying the rep told me this, and another member saying they heard the complete opposite. I called Friday to confirm that I could pay full retail if I preorder, the rep said no. I asked why all the emails and advertising said "all existing Verizon Wireless Customers". No asterisks or fine print. She put me on hold, asked a supervisor and told me I was right, I would be able to pay full retail on the 3rd. My thought is she and I got the supervisors interpretation because at this point i have heard so many varying answers by reps who work for the same company, I don't trust anything I hear until we have these phones in our hands.

By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th. I also asked why the phones were $50 higher than Apple on the full retail, she had no idea what I was talking about as Verizon hadn't yet posted full retail prices. I poured her to the page and just heard....oh

So take it all with a grain of salt, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see because these reps just want to finish the day and go home. We are the last thing they are worried about.

Reactions: iSRS

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The most annoying thing with Verizon and this release is all you seem to get is a representative's interpretation of how it will go. They were obviously not properly trained on how the procedure will work, so you will get members saying the rep told me this, and another member saying they heard the complete opposite. I called Friday to confirm that I could pay full retail if I preorder, the rep said no. I asked why all the emails and advertising said "all existing Verizon Wireless Customers". No asterisks or fine print. She put me on hold, asked a supervisor and told me I was right, I would be able to pay full retail on the 3rd. My thought is she and I got the supervisors interpretation because at this point i have heard so many varying answers by reps who work for the same company, I don't trust anything I hear until we have these phones in our hands.

By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th. I also asked why the phones were $50 higher than Apple on the full retail, she had no idea what I was talking about as Verizon hadn't yet posted full retail prices. I poured her to the page and just heard....oh

So take it all with a grain of salt, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see because these reps just want to finish the day and go home. We are the last thing they are worried about.
Doug, I wish I could thank you many times for that! Gave me a good laugh. I agree 100%. I have to believe that VZW wants to "show AT&T how it's done" and wouldn't want any bad press from disgruntled long time customers that happen to be a week, month, few months away from a discounted upgrade and are willing to pay full price. They want this to be as smooth as possible. Show up AT&T, and prove to Apple that VZW should be their "premier" carrier of choice.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
So I just called and the rep I spoke with has had a "few" calls asking the same thing this morning. He said that "all existing customers" regardless if they are getting a discounted upgrade or upgrading at full retail. I think that it is semantics. Technically, even paying full retail, you are "upgrading" your device.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I just called and the rep I spoke with has had a "few" calls asking the same thing this morning. He said that "all existing customers" regardless if they are getting a discounted upgrade or upgrading at full retail. I think that it is semantics. Technically, even paying full retail, you are "upgrading" your device.

That was my thinking also. Why in the world would Verizon turn down full retail money? I sure hope we can, but I guess only time will tell.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site

i think they might be trying to exclude NEW sales, perhaps to existing verizon customers who think they can open a NEW account on 2/3?

i too freaked the hell out (inside, kept my composure outside), and called the CSR center, they told me also, that i would be albe to buy at full retail on 2/3/11... anyone want to buy a samsung fascinate on 2/11/11? (lol...)

Reactions: Asunners

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I texted a friend that works at Verizon and she told me that her boss said only customers that were able to get an upgrade could preorder, On that same note I called in to CS and they told me that any existing Verizon customer that pre order the 3rd. I don't thik anyone knows what's going on. I just want my freaking iPhone!!! LOL

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th.

How dare you mess with peoples' hopes and dreams of getting one before that. Shame on you. You may even be gang-bashed if you dare repeat it another thread despite being on-topic, and your comments being germane to the conversation.

(/sarcasm)

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
i think they might be trying to exclude NEW sales, perhaps to existing verizon customers who think they can open a NEW account on 2/3?

i too freaked the hell out (inside, kept my composure outside), and called the CSR center, they told me also, that i would be albe to buy at full retail on 2/3/11... anyone want to buy a samsung fascinate on 2/11/11? (lol...)
gazelle.com --> $178, plus using the bonus code '100' ups it to $186.50!

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I will be ticked if I can't pre-order? 2/2 is my birthday and this is my gift (to myself)

JUST LET ME PRE-ORDER!!!!

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Doug, I wish I could thank you many times for that! Gave me a good laugh. I agree 100%. I have to believe that VZW wants to "show AT&T how it's done" and wouldn't want any bad press from disgruntled long time customers that happen to be a week, month, few months away from a discounted upgrade and are willing to pay full price. They want this to be as smooth as possible. Show up AT&T, and prove to Apple that VZW should be their "premier" carrier of choice.

;)

If I end up making sure I am up at 3AM to preorder a phone that I will be paying full retail, mind you $50 more than Apple's retail price, I am paying a PREMIUM just so I don't have to wait on a line, and I could be guaranteed that this phone will be mine on release, whether it be the 4th, 5th, or 10th ......

if it all comes down to NOT being able to order because I am in mid contract, and because of miscommunication from reps, and falsely advertising that it is available to "LOYAL" (quoting my exclusive invitation) "Verizon Customers", no exclusions are showing on MY invite, I don't know about anyone elses......I will be SERIOUSLY annoyed.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
;)

If I end up making sure I am up at 3AM to preorder a phone that I will be paying full retail, mind you $50 more than Apple's retail price, I am paying a PREMIUM just so I don't have to wait on a line, and I could be guaranteed that this phone will be mine on release, whether it be the 4th, 5th, or 10th ......

if it all comes down to NOT being able to order because I am in mid contract, and because of miscommunication from reps, and falsely advertising that it is available to "LOYAL" (quoting my exclusive invitation) "Verizon Customers", no exclusions are showing on MY invite, I don't know about anyone elses......I will be SERIOUSLY annoyed.
No mention on mine, either...

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
;)

Agreed!!!!

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I texted a friend that works at Verizon and she told me that her boss said only customers that were able to get an upgrade could preorder, On that same note I called in to CS and they told me that any existing Verizon customer that pre order the 3rd. I don't thik anyone knows what's going on. I just want my freaking iPhone!!! LOL

Reading from my "Exclusive Invitation for 02.03.11" from Verizon Wireless:

"Because we appreciate and value your loyalty, existing Verizon Wireless customers will have an exclusive online purchase opportunity before iPhone 4 is available to everyone else.

For you it begins 02.03.11. Order iPhone 4 from our reserved quantity on a first come, first served basis beginning at 3 AM Eastern"

There is no asterisk, no small print, nothing stating anything at all in regards to upgrade eligible customers. Just "existing Verizon Wireless customers"

I would text your friend back and let her and her boss know that if she is right, they need to update our "exclusive invitations" because there may be some loyal customers waiting at their PC's at 3AM thinking they could get the iPhone based on incorrect information posted and emailed all over the place ;)

PS. Sorry to be so repetitive with this, but this will be pretty helpful to others that will be calling at 3:10AM if this dosent go through ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: buckeyegoose

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I did to preorder on the 3rd. I came from Sprint and I knew that the preorders were going to be for existing customers and that new customers would have to wait in line. So what I did was start my service with VZW last week. Got a couple LG Optimus for my wife and I for free. I'm taking them back tomorrow and switching to a couple old flip phones we already have. That way both lines are eligible for upgrade. Yes, I know I could have started service with the flip phones from the beginning but 2+ weeks on the flip phone would have been brutal.

But anyhow, preorder on the 3rd and we are good to go. I know what it's like to wait in line at an Apple store for an iPhone launch and I don't want to do it again. I got my phone since I had an online reservation but I would rather had it delivered to me. Only reason I had to wait in line was because of the whole fiasco with Apple canceling orders by mistake in their system. Don't want to go through that again.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Reading from my "Exclusive Invitation for 02.03.11" from Verizon Wireless:

"Because we appreciate and value your loyalty, existing Verizon Wireless customers will have an exclusive online purchase opportunity before iPhone 4 is available to everyone else.

For you it begins 02.03.11. Order iPhone 4 from our reserved quantity on a first come, first served basis beginning at 3 AM Eastern"

There is no asterisk, no small print, nothing stating anything at all in regards to upgrade eligible customers. Just "existing Verizon Wireless customers"

I would text your friend back and let her and her boss know that if she is right, they need to update our "exclusive invitations" because there may be some loyal customers waiting at their PC's at 3AM thinking they could get the iPhone based on incorrect information posted and emailed all over the place ;)

PS. Sorry to be so repetitive with this, but this will be pretty helpful to others that will be calling at 3:10AM if this dosent go through ;)

I'm getting a bunch of "I don't knows" and "That's just what we were told".
I'm not sure how to get a straight answer.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

I guarantee that there will be. If I didn't see this forum, I would have not already a line (the loophole) and tried to add one on the 3rd only to get denied! I'm NOT the only one!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal