Can't Pre-order on 2/3 unless eligible for upgrade?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
1) Take this old craptastic LG-voyager that I used to use into VZW.
2)Tell them to add it for $9.99/mo.
3)On Feb 3rd, "Upgrade" to the iP4 and add the data (hell, will they even let you do that on the 3rd!?)
4) Be happy?

Exactly! You'll be fine. (You may be subject to an activation fee ... but again, if you want to pre-order, this is how to immediately add a line on your account that is upgrade-eligible!)

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything on their twitter stating that you have to be eligible for a discounted upgrade. Can anyone post a link to that tweet?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This whole thing just bothers me though. If they are doing that because of a quantity issue, do we even have a chance or is Feb. 3rd a waste of time?

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That is just horrible news since I'll be paying full retail for my iPhone. I'm really not looking to stand in line for hours on release day because it's cold as hell up here in Michigan.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That is just horrible news since I'll be paying full retail for my iPhone. I'm really not looking to stand in line for hours on release day because it's cold as hell up here in Michigan.

Well then sucks to be you! (That is what I feel like VZW is saying to all of use existing customers that aren't "Upgrade Eligible".)

Honestly, they could treat their existing customers a little better. :/

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This whole thing just bothers me though. If they are doing that because of a quantity issue, do we even have a chance or is Feb. 3rd a waste of time?

No I really think this has to do with flipping the phone on eBay for a profit. Not only do you have to be upgrade-eligible, but it requires you to activate it on that line (according to twitter). Which means that, if you order the phone, you must activate the phone before disposing of it, locking you into a 2-year contract. It's a control to make sure you are going to keep the phone, or at least to make sure you want it enough to commit to 2-years.

If you pay full retail, you don't commit to a contract and can turn and flip it.

While it seems like a pain in the butt, if it's any consolation, this actually makes it harder for people to steal a pre-order from you just to make a profit. You have to really want it and really want 2-years worth of Verizon service to get it.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
No I really think this has to do with flipping the phone on eBay for a profit. Not only do you have to be upgrade-eligible, but it requires you to activate it on that line (according to twitter). Which means that, if you order the phone, you must activate the phone before disposing of it, locking you into a 2-year contract. It's a control to make sure you are going to keep the phone, or at least to make sure you want it enough to commit to 2-years.

If you pay full retail, you don't commit to a contract and can turn and flip it.

While it seems like a pain in the butt, if it's any consolation, this actually makes it harder for people to steal a pre-order from you just to make a profit. You have to really want it and really want 2-years worth of Verizon service to get it.

Side note: Why does your sig say 3G? No iPhone 4 for you? :p

Reactions: ericsmcdonald

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This is unbelievable...I was all excited to pay full retail for this phone and pre order on the 3rd. Now I will be pissed if I can't pre order and people receive the phone before the 10th.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If you read further that too is pure speculation. Just another "I spoke to a rep" thread. Still no info on adding a line though.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll likely call just to be sure, because it also said you could preorder on apple.com, but even now, for the AT&T version, you can not buy online (apple.com) if you are paying full retail.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The more I think about it, why would VZW care what I do with it? If I am eligible to preorder, I am already a customer. I buy it and flip it? That person buying it is either a customer or becomes one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh