This whole thing just bothers me though. If they are doing that because of a quantity issue, do we even have a chance or is Feb. 3rd a waste of time?
    01-30-2011 11:26 PM
    That is just horrible news since I'll be paying full retail for my iPhone. I'm really not looking to stand in line for hours on release day because it's cold as hell up here in Michigan.
    01-30-2011 11:27 PM
    That is just horrible news since I'll be paying full retail for my iPhone. I'm really not looking to stand in line for hours on release day because it's cold as hell up here in Michigan.
    Well then sucks to be you! (That is what I feel like VZW is saying to all of use existing customers that aren't "Upgrade Eligible".)

Honestly, they could treat their existing customers a little better. :/
    01-30-2011 11:30 PM
    This whole thing just bothers me though. If they are doing that because of a quantity issue, do we even have a chance or is Feb. 3rd a waste of time?
    No I really think this has to do with flipping the phone on eBay for a profit. Not only do you have to be upgrade-eligible, but it requires you to activate it on that line (according to twitter). Which means that, if you order the phone, you must activate the phone before disposing of it, locking you into a 2-year contract. It's a control to make sure you are going to keep the phone, or at least to make sure you want it enough to commit to 2-years.

If you pay full retail, you don't commit to a contract and can turn and flip it.

While it seems like a pain in the butt, if it's any consolation, this actually makes it harder for people to steal a pre-order from you just to make a profit. You have to really want it and really want 2-years worth of Verizon service to get it.
    01-30-2011 11:34 PM
    There you go again eric - making too much sense...
    01-30-2011 11:37 PM
    No I really think this has to do with flipping the phone on eBay for a profit. Not only do you have to be upgrade-eligible, but it requires you to activate it on that line (according to twitter). Which means that, if you order the phone, you must activate the phone before disposing of it, locking you into a 2-year contract. It's a control to make sure you are going to keep the phone, or at least to make sure you want it enough to commit to 2-years.

If you pay full retail, you don't commit to a contract and can turn and flip it.

While it seems like a pain in the butt, if it's any consolation, this actually makes it harder for people to steal a pre-order from you just to make a profit. You have to really want it and really want 2-years worth of Verizon service to get it.
    Side note: Why does your sig say 3G? No iPhone 4 for you? :P
    ericsmcdonald likes this.
    01-30-2011 11:38 PM
    There you go again eric - making too much sense...
    Let's just hope I make sense on my test next week
    01-30-2011 11:39 PM
    Side note: Why does your sig say 3G? No iPhone 4 for you? :P
    Clearly didn't think that one through, thanks for the catch!!
    01-30-2011 11:41 PM
    Hmmm. So much for Verizon being better. Same ol' same ol'. I am sure there are workarounds.
    01-30-2011 11:43 PM
    Clearly didn't think that one through, thanks for the catch!!
    I thought it meant cause vzw a 3G network and not a tle iPhone lol
    01-30-2011 11:43 PM
    This is unbelievable...I was all excited to pay full retail for this phone and pre order on the 3rd. Now I will be pissed if I can't pre order and people receive the phone before the 10th.
    01-31-2011 12:46 AM
    01-31-2011 12:49 AM
    If you read further that too is pure speculation. Just another "I spoke to a rep" thread. Still no info on adding a line though.
    01-31-2011 01:14 AM
    I'll likely call just to be sure, because it also said you could preorder on apple.com, but even now, for the AT&T version, you can not buy online (apple.com) if you are paying full retail.
    01-31-2011 06:00 AM
    The more I think about it, why would VZW care what I do with it? If I am eligible to preorder, I am already a customer. I buy it and flip it? That person buying it is either a customer or becomes one.
    01-31-2011 06:03 AM
    If you read further that too is pure speculation. Just another "I spoke to a rep" thread. Still no info on adding a line though.
    OK I just sent Verizon an e-mail. When I get the response, I'll post the entire e-mail here.

I asked if you need to be eligible for an upgrade to pre-order, if you can use alternate (transfer your) upgrade, and when will it ship if I pre-order. I didn't ask about adding a line, bc that wasn't relevant to my situation (sorry) but the first question should also answer the adding a line question.
    01-31-2011 08:18 AM
    OK I just sent Verizon an e-mail. When I get the response, I'll post the entire e-mail here.

I asked if you need to be eligible for an upgrade to pre-order, if you can use alternate (transfer your) upgrade, and when will it ship if I pre-order. I didn't ask about adding a line, bc that wasn't relevant to my situation (sorry) but the first question should also answer the adding a line question.
    I, too, just sent an email asking if you are paying full retail are you able to pre-order.
    01-31-2011 08:38 AM
    The most annoying thing with Verizon and this release is all you seem to get is a representative's interpretation of how it will go. They were obviously not properly trained on how the procedure will work, so you will get members saying the rep told me this, and another member saying they heard the complete opposite. I called Friday to confirm that I could pay full retail if I preorder, the rep said no. I asked why all the emails and advertising said "all existing Verizon Wireless Customers". No asterisks or fine print. She put me on hold, asked a supervisor and told me I was right, I would be able to pay full retail on the 3rd. My thought is she and I got the supervisors interpretation because at this point i have heard so many varying answers by reps who work for the same company, I don't trust anything I hear until we have these phones in our hands.

By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th. I also asked why the phones were $50 higher than Apple on the full retail, she had no idea what I was talking about as Verizon hadn't yet posted full retail prices. I poured her to the page and just heard....oh

So take it all with a grain of salt, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see because these reps just want to finish the day and go home. We are the last thing they are worried about.
    iSRS likes this.
    01-31-2011 08:42 AM
    The most annoying thing with Verizon and this release is all you seem to get is a representative's interpretation of how it will go. They were obviously not properly trained on how the procedure will work, so you will get members saying the rep told me this, and another member saying they heard the complete opposite. I called Friday to confirm that I could pay full retail if I preorder, the rep said no. I asked why all the emails and advertising said "all existing Verizon Wireless Customers". No asterisks or fine print. She put me on hold, asked a supervisor and told me I was right, I would be able to pay full retail on the 3rd. My thought is she and I got the supervisors interpretation because at this point i have heard so many varying answers by reps who work for the same company, I don't trust anything I hear until we have these phones in our hands.

By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th. I also asked why the phones were $50 higher than Apple on the full retail, she had no idea what I was talking about as Verizon hadn't yet posted full retail prices. I poured her to the page and just heard....oh

So take it all with a grain of salt, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see because these reps just want to finish the day and go home. We are the last thing they are worried about.
    Doug, I wish I could thank you many times for that! Gave me a good laugh. I agree 100%. I have to believe that VZW wants to "show AT&T how it's done" and wouldn't want any bad press from disgruntled long time customers that happen to be a week, month, few months away from a discounted upgrade and are willing to pay full price. They want this to be as smooth as possible. Show up AT&T, and prove to Apple that VZW should be their "premier" carrier of choice.
    01-31-2011 09:00 AM
    So I just called and the rep I spoke with has had a "few" calls asking the same thing this morning. He said that "all existing customers" regardless if they are getting a discounted upgrade or upgrading at full retail. I think that it is semantics. Technically, even paying full retail, you are "upgrading" your device.
    01-31-2011 09:54 AM
    So I just called and the rep I spoke with has had a "few" calls asking the same thing this morning. He said that "all existing customers" regardless if they are getting a discounted upgrade or upgrading at full retail. I think that it is semantics. Technically, even paying full retail, you are "upgrading" your device.
    That was my thinking also. Why in the world would Verizon turn down full retail money? I sure hope we can, but I guess only time will tell.
    01-31-2011 09:57 AM

By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th.
    I was also told this when I called.
    01-31-2011 10:21 AM
    i think they might be trying to exclude NEW sales, perhaps to existing verizon customers who think they can open a NEW account on 2/3?

i too freaked the hell out (inside, kept my composure outside), and called the CSR center, they told me also, that i would be albe to buy at full retail on 2/3/11... anyone want to buy a samsung fascinate on 2/11/11? (lol...)
    Asunners likes this.
    01-31-2011 10:34 AM
    I texted a friend that works at Verizon and she told me that her boss said only customers that were able to get an upgrade could preorder, On that same note I called in to CS and they told me that any existing Verizon customer that pre order the 3rd. I don't thik anyone knows what's going on. I just want my freaking iPhone!!! LOL
    01-31-2011 10:35 AM
    By the way, she said preorder on the 3rd to receive on the 10th.
    How dare you mess with peoples' hopes and dreams of getting one before that. Shame on you. You may even be gang-bashed if you dare repeat it another thread despite being on-topic, and your comments being germane to the conversation.

(/sarcasm)
    01-31-2011 10:41 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD