Are You Pre-Ordering From Apple Or Verizon? Please Explain Why.

Will You Be Pre-Ordering From Apple Or Verizon?

• Apple.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Verizon.

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • I'm not pre-ordering, but I like to vote in polls.

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows any significant or insignificant differences between pre-ordering from Apple and pre-ordering from Verizon? I was 100% going to order from Verizon until starbird informed me that they were charging $50 more than I read Apple will be charging. Granted it isn't a lot of money when you consider I'm paying full retail, but it seems stupid to pay $50 more when it offers no real benefit. So is there any reason I should order from Verizon instead of Apple?

Who will you be pre-ordering from?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Who will you be pre-ordering from?

I was under the impression that the pre-order had to be done through Verizon. If Apple offers it, too, not sure what the difference would be, other than you could redeem Apple gift cards with Apple and Verizon gift cards with Verizon.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
apple is $50 cheaper full retail compared to verizon but I have a gift card for verizon and am going to pay full retail so thats the only reason I am doing it on verizon

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If Apple will let me pre-order on the 3rd, I will go through them for the $50 savings. However, if they are not doing a pre-order, I'll go with Verizon and eat the extra cost just so that I can have my phone sooner. I've been using a 2+ year old flip phone since the 11th and it's killing me.

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure, Apple is $50 cheaper since I am paying full retail however it seems like you may not be able to pre order from Apple. I may get stuck paying $50 more with VZ...I am hopeful there might be a $50 online rebate like they have done in the past.

justme71

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I will not be pre-ordering, as the 1 year contract will only be offered after the pre-order.

Could you tell me how you know this or where I can confirm it? I emailed Verizon a last week and they said they didn't have info on one year contracts.

I'm really hoping you are correct and Verizon has some info on it!!!

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I thought you could only pre order through Verizon? Was the gsm version available for pre order through Apple?

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Currently, even with the AT&T iPhone, if you are paying full retail, you either need to go into a physical Apple Store, or go through the service provider (online or in store). For some reason, you cam not bug a full retail through apple.com.

anon(123795)

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Could you tell me how you know this or where I can confirm it? I emailed Verizon a last week and they said they didn't have info on one year contracts.

I'm really hoping you are correct and Verizon has some info on it!!!

No way to confirm, sorry Chads. Just info from the people that I talk to that I trust :) I'm hoping that I'm wrong and I can preorder on the 3rd with a 1 year. I will be up checking! Might even call and see if I can sweet talk. Maybe I'll just order and call later to switch back to 1 year!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I will try Verizon first. The 1 significant difference is that even after you order through Apple site they still probably have to verify with VZW that you are good to go. Last year when preordering through Apple, many orders got canceled because something in Apple's system was flagging upgrade eligible accounts. Apple ultimately blamed it on AT&T. But people that were able to order through AT&T didn't have that problem since you were already getting it through your carrier. Just looking at past history, I would venture to say that you will be able to order through both. I'm not sure why Verizon would want to take on all traffic by themselves when Apple can take on a lot of it. Either way, VZW still gets the customer and Apple gets the money for the iPhone. It would be best served for them and customer to have both options.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is something for you to think about and will vary by state.... I bought mine at Apple here in LV, NV and Apple only charged me tax on $299. I bought my wifes at Att and they charged me tax off of full retail even though the phone was $299. It cost me a extra $32 to buy it at Att. You may want to see how this works in your state.