Network Problems

Jo57

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello

I am new to your forum and came across it trying to find a solution to my annoying problem, which seems to be a common enough one the "Could not activate cellular data network" one.

However I only get this in my own home - anywhere else the iPhone happily finds and uses networks - I have tried the solutions on this website and have restarted my router so often that my family are going spare.

Visiting iPhones to our home access the network, all out Macs, iPads, iPods do too just not mine - am so frustrated I have stand outside my neighbour's house to sync to Mobile Me. The wireless bar is showing lots of power and even when I stand with my iPhone right next to the router and shout, it still doesn't work.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If its trying to activate the cellular data network, that means it isn't trying to use WiFi...that message only applies to 3G and EDGE (aka: "cellular").

So you're saying that your wireless indicator on your iPhone itself is showing full signal? This could be the result of a few things (if it is not working as you said)...do you have a cap on connections to your wireless router? This can be checked in the settings feature of any router, and can be set from 1 to like 100 on some higher end ones...if you have a cap, your iphone may be trying to access the network that already has a user cap in place.

If that's not the case, and other computers and devices are using your router properly in your house, then what i would do is go into your general settings, go down to "Reset" and then go to "Reset Network Settings"...at that point, all the network stuff dealing with WiFi routers will be deleted, and you can start fresh...this usually takes care of iPhones that get hung up in lala land when it comes to trying to access wireless networks for data usage.

Flyin2low

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello

I am new to your forum and came across it trying to find a solution to my annoying problem, which seems to be a common enough one the "Could not activate cellular data

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you

Try going into Airplane Mode and back out. Or just rebooting the phone....

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Adjust your wireless router, had to adjust mine because of a firewall slowing down the signal to the iPhone, the firewall is still active for my MacBook

Jo57

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your posts.

I have tried all the reboots - router and phone -
Have adjusted the router to a different channel
My router is Netgear - ADSL Wireless Router - is that all the info you need?
There are no caps on the router.

Still no joy.

Anything other ideas?

Jo57

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have done all the restarts and it's still not working at home - my router doesn't have any caps on it.
I also changed the Channel on the router and that hasn't helped

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly man, if your iPhone is connecting with no issue in other network scenarios, and it connects to cellular networks fine...the problem is isolated to your modem and router, and at that point...there are so many variables, options and types of both modem and router that you'd be better off and more successful looking for help on the forum help section of either the router (most likely) or modem (less likely).

Sorry man, and its very possible someone here could help you, but you'll prob get help faster going after the problem areas (since it seems like your iPhone is working properly in all situations except your own network).

Jo57

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I can understand your point, but by the same deduction couldn't you also say the problem could be with the phone as all our other computers, phones, ipads, itouches can access the internet on this router?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro