Have a phone swapping question

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a iphone 4 , I also do a lot of snowboarding. I was wondering if I buy an iphone 3G and swap the sim cards for when Im snowboarding or doing things that could damage the phone.

Is it a simple as swapping the cards myself or would I have to call ATT and have them swap it out.

Im looking to buy a used Iphone 3, I assume they have sim cards as well. If I found a used iphone 3 with out a sim card could I just use the iphone 4 sim card.

Any input would be great

Thanks

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 uses a MicroSIM as opposed to the regular, full size SIM cards used in most all GSM devices, and all previous iPhones, so you couldn't just swap without some slight modifications to your SIM.

There are plenty of MicroSIM to full size SIM adapters out there that could be used for this purpose, some better than others, Google can help immensely with finding one that suits your need.

Reactions: cpc12

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
besides the adapter is it as simple as inserting my active micro sim into the adapter then inserting it into the Iphone3 ?

Will the contacts be on the sim or I would have to sync it to itunes ?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
besides the adapter is it as simple as inserting my active micro sim into the adapter then inserting it into the Iphone3 ?

Contacts aren't stored on the sim anymore, you'd have to sync it with iTunes to have all your data.

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Like big9erfan said, Because of the reduction in size, and some other changes in standards between the two SIM sizes your contacts will need to be pushed to your 3G/3GS via iTunes, and any changes you make to contacts will need to be occasionally merged with your Mac and i4, MobileMe takes care of this for you if you have it, but beyond that, yes, that's all you need to be able to swap between the two devices.