Navigation

ajl06808

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I know there has been a thread about GPS apps, but is there one out on the App Store that is like Google Navigation? That worked PERFECT with my Droid Incredible.

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I too am wondering if there are any good turn by turn navigation apps that are comparable to Google Maps on android. The ones I have heard of are all extremely expensive, are there any that are free or low cost?

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
This is probably going to be the one feature I will miss the most after moving away from my DroidX. I'm debating on either paying for an app on the iPhone, or buying a dedicated GPS unit. I'm leaning toward the latter....

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The achilles-heal of Google's Nav is that if you lose your data reception... you are SOL. Thats where a standalone unit with preloaded maps i.e. Nuvi or an app like Navigon with preloaded maps has an advantage.

You get what you pay for.

spiderman001728

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Navigon ( which I won from a TiPb giveaway! THANKS ) is extremely accurate and works great. I didnt have to pay for the app, but I did buy the traffic updates and 3D maps via in-app purchase. The traffic seems to work well I guess, atleast it tells me it is [ "your route is being rerouted due to traffic information" ]. The 3D maps are not really needed but it does make the maps look a whole lot prettier.

So if you are looking to spend this kind of money on a navi app I have to say that Navigon is an extremely good one.

p08757

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
The achilles-heal of Google's Nav is that if you lose your data reception... you are SOL. Thats where a standalone unit with preloaded maps i.e. Nuvi or an app like Navigon with preloaded maps has an advantage.

The thing about having navigation on my phone, is I always have it with me. I may not always have a standalone device with me. Having it with me at all times has made my life a bit easier.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The thing about having navigation on my phone, is I always have it with me. I may not always have a standalone device with me. Having it with me at all times has made my life a bit easier.

But - having the stand-alone device, and a decent nav app gives you the best of both worlds - the stand-alone device can 'stay in the car' for use while on the road... and the app on the phone for times when you're not in the car :D

VZiPhoneFinally

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Personally with my Droid X I have not experience any situation where I have no data reception, Google Maps navigation has been amazing. It does not sound like there are any cheap or free turn by turn apps though. :(

S.meezy#CB

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The newest release of Google Maps/Navigation caches the route... So if you lose internets, ur fine (assuming u don't stray off course :p)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
But - having the stand-alone device, and a decent nav app gives you the best of both worlds - the stand-alone device can 'stay in the car' for use while on the road... and the app on the phone for times when you're not in the car :D

And this is good how?

Use a tomtom mount and you've got a GPS (navigon), music player, a place to put the iphone, and its being charged. It's simple grab and go..snaps right in...or out. When not in car, no worries about a gps unit being stolen..its in your pocket.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And this is good how?

Use a tomtom mount and you've got a GPS (navigon), music player, a place to put the iphone, and its being charged. It's simple grab and go..snaps right in...or out. When not in car, no worries about a gps unit being stolen..its in your pocket.

Just my preference - and how I'm used to rolling... no worries about Nuvi theft - it gets secured when I get out of the car.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I love the Navigon app (Which is on sale right NOW). If you also own an iPad, it is a free universal app (pay once and get it on both). The app works great, the guidance is perfect, the POI is database is great for finding anything that you can possibly looking for. I upgraded and got the real time traffic which is also fantastic.

In other words, Get this app and you won't be disappointed.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re Navigon, I've got it on my iPad and looking forward to using it on my VZiP, but do the in app purchases (I bought the 3D maps and am considering traffic) work on the iPhone as well? Are they the same pay once use both places concept?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think Apps will be good to go on up to 5 devices... don't know about in-app enhancement purchases though.

Devices are kinda unlimited. The "5" comes into play on how many computers you can authorize to use your apps or account. In-app purchases are tied to your account so they only need to be done once if you're app sharing.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just my preference - and how I'm used to rolling... no worries about Nuvi theft - it gets secured when I get out of the car.

No problems :) It used to be my preference too. Now it would just take up my iphone spot. No room or need for a Garmin standalone that's less functional anyways.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods