Just curious if anyone has heard or knows if FF is coming to the iPhone. I know they have a mobile version for the Android platform and Nokia phones in beta. I l like the safari browser, but I use FF for the desktop and like that browsing experience. Thoughts?
    01-27-2011 06:07 PM
    There is not...and i doubt there is any plan to (especially after how quickly they axed other browser variants like the droid one). In my opinion, getting away from things related to PC is one of the strong suits of Apple products...everything native to them is just a better experience (to me), so putting something like Firefox or Chrome on the iPhone would almost be like back tracking IMO.

Also, considering how bare bones the safari iPhone experience is (which is why i prefer it) compared to the mac safari, your preference of firefox on a computer is honestly prob apples to oranges when it comes to a variant they would put on the iPhone as an application. The things you like about it may not transfer over at all...or in a very limited capacity...so the preference might not even translate the same as an app that you enjoy on the computer.
    01-27-2011 06:18 PM
    You bring up good points Sean. I do agree and like the simplicity of the Safari iPhone browsing experience as well. That is one of the things that drew me to the iPhone in the first place.
    01-27-2011 07:02 PM
    Oh.. i think thay will not allow it :-(
    01-28-2011 04:21 AM
    As stated, I like the native browser. Safari is fast, easy to navigate and does about everything I ask of a browser.
    01-28-2011 07:27 AM
    Unfortunately I don't think it will happen which is a shame because the mobile firefox browser has some really cool innovations.
    01-28-2011 10:44 AM
    I didn't even know Firefox was available for mobile, so I just downloaded it on my Droid 2 and it's actually pretty cool. As mentioned, there are some cool innovations and strides made, but in my opinion it doesn't do the basics as well as it should. Scrolling is the biggest issue, it doesn't flick to scroll half as well as Safari.
    01-28-2011 11:12 AM
    They have Skyfire and that is pretty fast.

I'm actually surprised they approved skyfire.
    01-28-2011 04:04 PM
    Not only is there Skyfire but also CloudBrowse and 360 Browser. So it might be FF that is the roadblock and not Apple.
    01-29-2011 12:11 AM
    iDroid, Skyfire, an early Opera and a hand full of others have all been removed for one reason or another (Skyfire and Opera allowed to come back in under very strict rules). It is unquestionably Apple putting up the fire hoops for these browsers to jump through in order to be permitted for any lengthy amount of time in the app store...Firefox is so heavily invested with Microsoft that im sure they're basically looking at the situation like the development would not be worth the investment as they would have to keep the browser free, and they would never get to the level of use that Safari gets (obviously because its native).
    01-29-2011 08:48 AM
    If I am not mistaken "which I often am :-)" I believe that Skyfire, CloudBrowse and 360 Browser, as well as Life Browser, Atomic Web all are built as GUI's on top of Safari which Apple Allows. Opera is the only browser with it's own rendering technology and therefore was limited in it's use of functionality ie; Pinch to Zoom. Matt Brubeck who is a Firefox Mobile Developer said this "We have no plans to release the full Firefox browser for Apple iOS devices. The current iOS SDK agreement forbids apps like Firefox that include their own compilers and interpreters" ... I believe Opera was able to circumvent this because their compilers were actually on their servers and sent the rendered data to the Opera Software. I could be wrong ... Just my guess.
    01-29-2011 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD