Switching upgrades so I can get the iphone

lomamo182

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This awesome and unique situation occurs if you are part of a family plan.

I have the main line in the vzw family plan and upgraded to the Droid X when it first came out. After the vzw iphone announcement I sold my Droid X on ebay for a profit. Now I want to transfer my wife's upgrade, which she still has not used to my line. If you visit the website and try to switch upgrade to another line it works for all the phones on the website. However I have no clue if this will be possible Feb 3, the pre order date.

What do you guys suggest? Should I call on Feb 3 and explain my situation?

Thanks for the input!

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
In my estimation you should do the switch on the 3rd. When you log in to "My Account", you should have the option to transfer the upgrade to a different line. After you click that it should take you to select a phone. I'm hoping on Feb. 3rd that after I do that, the iphone will then be there to select.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason against upgrading her line and then when the phone comes in, activate it and then do the switch? I can see an issue if she currently does not have a data plan, which is my situation.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
She would lose all her voicemail as soon as it was activated on her line. If she doesn't care then yes, do the upgrade and activation on her line, then swap to yours.

lomamo182

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
like starbird mentioned. she doesnt have a data plan, while I do. After I sold my Droid X i didnt cancel my data plan, im just using a dumbphone for 2 weeks until the iphone is released then piggyback it onto my existing data plan/sign up for the same data plan being offered anyways $30/unlimited. I hope it all works out. I really just want to do everything online, but obv afraid of the intense traffic on Feb 3.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Unless you plan on paying for a data plan for her for the next 2 years, I would say it wouldn't work out. Paying the Full Retail ($450 more) for the iPhone will end up being cheaper than 24 months of $30 ($720). Look at the bright side, though. Assuming you're upgrade eligible some time around April 2012, you will still be. And you'll only be 14 months in on the iPhone, and can get the new one at that time (possibly 4G LTE enabled) at the discount and your NE2 (assuming you still have that one more time).

lomamo182

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
well currently on the website, I can transfer her upgrade to my line and buy a samsung fascinate, so I wouldnt have to buy a whole new data plan for her. I would just use the phone with my data plan.

gamecocks524

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless you plan on paying for a data plan for her for the next 2 years, I would say it wouldn't work out. Paying the Full Retail ($450 more) for the iPhone will end up being cheaper than 24 months of $30 ($720). Look at the bright side, though. Assuming you're upgrade eligible some time around April 2012, you will still be. And you'll only be 14 months in on the iPhone, and can get the new one at that time (possibly 4G LTE enabled) at the discount and your NE2 (assuming you still have that one more time).

You can add and take off a data plan anytime you want. Data plans aren't tied into the contract that you agree to.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can add and take off a data plan anytime you want. Data plans aren't tied into the contract that you agree to.

Not really ... Verizon requires you to have a data plan with most (if not all) current smart phones. You can't cancel the data plan if you have a smartphone. My kids have been unable use their upgrades because I refuse to pay for 3 lines @ $30/month each and you can't upgrade to a smartphone without a data plan. Trust me, I've tried. If anyone knows the secret, let me know.

gamecocks524

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not really ... Verizon requires you to have a data plan with most (if not all) current smart phones. You can't cancel the data plan if you have a smartphone. My kids have been unable use their upgrades because I refuse to pay for 3 lines @ $30/month each and you can't upgrade to a smartphone without a data plan. Trust me, I've tried. If anyone knows the secret, let me know.

I'm saying that you can use another accounts upgrade to get the Iphone and once you activate the iphone on another line and put a feature phone back on the line you upgraded you will no longer have to pay the 30 dollars a month for data.

gamecocks524

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
well currently on the website, I can transfer her upgrade to my line and buy a samsung fascinate, so I wouldnt have to buy a whole new data plan for her. I would just use the phone with my data plan.

You will have to pay for a data plan as long as you have a smart phone activated on her line, and when you put it on your line and activate her old phone you can drop the data plan from her line.

lomamo182

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Im pretty sure what gamecock is saying is correct, I had a vzw rep sort of quickly explain that to me after I sold my droid x and switched back to my old feature phone (LG EnV2). now its just a waiting game for the iphone.

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So say im using an upgrade on a line that has a LG Dare, would i have to get the $30 data plan on that line to upgrade so i can get the iphone then switch it to my line? and if i would once i switch could i take the data plan off the LG Dare line??

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
You will have to pay for a data plan as long as you have a smart phone activated on her line, and when you put it on your line and activate her old phone you can drop the data plan from her line.

Im pretty sure what gamecock is saying is correct, I had a vzw rep sort of quickly explain that to me after I sold my droid x and switched back to my old feature phone (LG EnV2). now its just a waiting game for the iphone.

He is correct.

So say im using an upgrade on a line that has a LG Dare, would i have to get the $30 data plan on that line to upgrade so i can get the iphone then switch it to my line? and if i would once i switch could i take the data plan off the LG Dare line??

If you do it that way, then yes, but I believe they would prorate it for you so it wouldn't be bad at all. However, if you can transfer the upgrade to your line BEFORE you do the upgrade, then you won't have to pay the data fee on the Dare's line at all.

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
He is correct.

If you do it that way, then yes, but I believe they would prorate it for you so it wouldn't be bad at all. However, if you can transfer the upgrade to your line BEFORE you do the upgrade, then you won't have to pay the data fee on the Dare's line at all.

Well it seems like you won't be able to swap the upgrade to preorder

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Right, but you'll be able to transfer the upgrade once the iPhone becomes available to pre-order, correct? Sorry, I've never tried to transfer an upgrade before all I know is what I read. I would imagine that's how it would work though since someone said it gives them the option to transfer the upgrade right now and order a Fascinate.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Is this not pure speculation at this point? Has there been any type of documentation stating we could not transfer the upgrade online and choose the iphone?

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Vzw customer service said I would need to order it on her line and activate it then switch it to mine.. Maybe they're tricking me though idk hahah

captriker

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading here and the VZW forums but this is my first post. Long tIme VZW customer.

According to the here who've spoken with CS and the verizon forums. The system being used for the iPhone preorder will not support "buddy upgrades" which is what the OP is describing. You can however purchase the iPhone on the elilgable line and once you get the phone, you can switch the phone over to any line you want. You might have to activate the phone on the eligible line and then transfer. This means y will need to pay for the data plan for one month but it can be removed right after the switch.

Buddy upgrades should be available for iPhone purchases after the phones release.

VThokie78

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So tell me this: Can I use my grandmothers upgrade,activate it on her line, pay the data........then reactivate her old phone (non smartphone) and then switch the iPhone over to my line which is not on her plan, but on my own and activate it? So she would then be back to her old phone and I would be with the new iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh