Ok so here's my question, apparently you can't swap upgrades to pre order the phone.. I was gonna take my moms upgrade but idk if you can do that now, however, you can preorder it on a line then once you get it swap it to your line. So could I order it on her upgrade.. Then once she gets it activate on my number right away? Or would I need to activate it on hers the switch the ESN
    01-26-2011 09:23 AM
    As I was told yesterday at 3:05pm when I was on the phone with vow customer service. I am ordering on another line also, so when I received my device on the 4th (yes I was told I should have it in hand the 4th according to his documnetsion) that I would need to activate on the upgrade line first then swap the esn
    01-26-2011 09:50 AM
    Ok so here's my question, apparently you can't swap upgrades to pre order the phone.. I was gonna take my moms upgrade but idk if you can do that now, however, you can preorder it on a line then once you get it swap it to your line. So could I order it on her upgrade.. Then once she gets it activate on my number right away? Or would I need to activate it on hers the switch the ESN
    Just pre order on your moms account using her upgrade then switch the ESN over to you after it's activated.
    01-26-2011 09:53 AM
    What kind of phone does your mom have now, and how long has she had it? If she has one of those sub-smart phone types, without a data plan, she may be required to get one when you switch her back. However if she has a pure feature phone, or a smartphone with data plan now, you should be okay.
    01-26-2011 10:00 AM
    Just pre order on your moms account using her upgrade then switch the ESN over to you after it's activated.
    why cant he just activate on his line? why does he have to activate it on his moms line then switch the esn? after you buy the phone it is yours, you can activate on any line you want. at least thats what CS told me. i dont see the point of having to activate on one line then switch the esn. what difference does that make?
    01-26-2011 10:03 AM
    why cant he just activate on his line? why does he have to activate it on his moms line then switch the esn? after you buy the phone it is yours, you can activate on any line you want. at least thats what CS told me. i dont see the point of having to activate on one line then switch the esn. what difference does that make?
    When you buy a new phone it is attached to the number it's ordered under. It has to be activated on that line first then it can be switched to a different number. It's just the way their system works. You don't have to do anything special. It just needs activated once then can be put on any number after that.
    01-26-2011 10:27 AM
    I think this is an issue we will just have to wait and see how they decide to do it. I've talked to over 4 different CSR at VWZ and no one can give me a straight answer. Finally I got a clearer picture, if you are just doing an annual upgrade, then yes, you can activate on whatever line you choose. BUT if its a NE2 upgrade, it has to be activated on the line that has that promotion however, you can switch ESN after it has first been activated on the promotion line. Sounds like more work to me and I'm sure VZW will rethink that after they get a million calls with people switching ESNs.
    01-26-2011 10:34 AM
    I think this is an issue we will just have to wait and see how they decide to do it. I've talked to over 4 different CSR at VWZ and no one can give me a straight answer. Finally I got a clearer picture, if you are just doing an annual upgrade, then yes, you can activate on whatever line you choose. BUT if its a NE2 upgrade, it has to be activated on the line that has that promotion however, you can switch ESN after it has first been activated on the promotion line. Sounds like more work to me and I'm sure VZW will rethink that after they get a million calls with people switching ESNs.
    You don't even have to call to switch the numbers. You just dial *228 and activate the new phone on whatever line you want. It's all automated. Just as an FYI..... Hope that helps
    01-26-2011 10:53 AM
    When you click on "Transfer Upgrade" shouldn't it then transfer that to the other line and not requiring activation on the original upgradeable line?

Scenario: My wife's line is the one eligible. I log in on the 3rd, click on "Transfer Upgrade" and transfer the upgrade to my line. Then go and select the iphone. The iphone arrives and I simply activate it on my line because I had previously transferred the upgrade. Is this not correct? Am I still required to activate it on her line and then do the ESN swap?
    01-26-2011 02:22 PM
    Scenario: My wife's line is the one eligible. I log in on the 3rd, click on "Transfer Upgrade" and transfer the upgrade to my line. Then go and select the iphone. The iphone arrives and I simply activate it on my line because I had previously transferred the upgrade. Is this not correct? Am I still required to activate it on her line and then do the ESN swap?
    I was told by CS on Sunday that alternate upgrades are available for the iPhone. So you shouldn't have to do an ESN swap. If you do, it's very easy.
    01-26-2011 03:13 PM
    I don't think you can do the upgrade swap to pre order
    01-26-2011 03:14 PM
    Why wouldn't you be able to do it for the iphone? It's an inherent function of the VZ website, not specific to make/model/OS.
    01-26-2011 04:13 PM
    Im getting really confused, does anyone know for sure if i will be able to swap upgrades on the 3rd in order to pre order the iphone instead of ordering for a different line then swapping the esn.
    01-26-2011 07:40 PM
    What kind of phone does your mom have now, and how long has she had it? If she has one of those sub-smart phone types, without a data plan, she may be required to get one when you switch her back. However if she has a pure feature phone, or a smartphone with data plan now, you should be okay.
    Most of this is completely accurate.

"If she has one of those sub-smart phone types, without a data plan, she may be required to get one when you switch her back."

A few months ago, this was true as well. But VZW dropped the requirement of having data packs on '3g multimedia' handsets.
    01-26-2011 07:47 PM
    Im getting really confused, does anyone know for sure if i will be able to swap upgrades on the 3rd in order to pre order the iphone instead of ordering for a different line then swapping the esn.
    This is very confusing for everyone it seems, including VZW employees. I guess we will just have to wait a bit longer and see what happens.

I've also been told there will be no upgrade swaps for the iPhone, which I found very strange. Maybe it's an apple thing?

As soon as I get solid info on this, I will post it ASAP.
    01-26-2011 07:49 PM
    You don't even have to call to switch the numbers. You just dial *228 and activate the new phone on whatever line you want. It's all automated. Just as an FYI..... Hope that helps
    This is correct for most phones. iPhone activations (from what we have been told so far), are completely different from the rest of the handsets.

The *228 OTA programming I'm told won't be valid on iPhones. Only iTunes activations.

If I get more/different information I will post it.
    01-26-2011 07:51 PM
    Most of this is completely accurate.

"If she has one of those sub-smart phone types, without a data plan, she may be required to get one when you switch her back."

A few months ago, this was true as well. But VZW dropped the requirement of having data packs on '3g multimedia' handsets.
    She has a LG env and my sister has a LG Dare, both are eligible for upgrades..
    01-26-2011 07:56 PM
    She has a LG env and my sister has a LG Dare, both are eligible for upgrades..
    The Dare is no worries..

Which ENV model? 1, 2, 3, touch?

If its the ENV 3, or Touch model, when you re-activate it, it's possible it will auto-populate a data pack for the device.. Call a CS rep, and they will immediately remove it for you..

Hope this helps...
    01-26-2011 07:58 PM
    So if i upgrade the Dare i WILL NOT have to add on the $30 unlimitied data..
    01-26-2011 08:01 PM
    So i can order the iphone off her the LG Dare upgrade without having to add the $30 unlimited data??
    01-26-2011 08:05 PM
    This is correct for most phones. iPhone activations (from what we have been told so far), are completely different from the rest of the handsets.

The *228 OTA programming I'm told won't be valid on iPhones. Only iTunes activations.

If I get more/different information I will post it.
    Itunes does not activate phone service on the iPhone. Itunes activates the OS on the iphone so it runs correctly. I don't think anyone knows for sure how we will program the phones at first but all other iPhones can be activated before they are hooked up to itunes the first time.
    01-26-2011 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD