Easiest way to clean out backround apps?

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
The comparison to IE though is kind of moot because Safari also has the same options...neither of them are related to the nature of multiple apps running on an iPhone.

I wasn't comparing them as apples to apples, but more in the relevance of something that used to seem just as tedious advancing to something far simpler to accomplish the same steps. Plus, I chose Microsoft's product just as a comparison, as usually they are the ones who lag behind on being the ultimate in user friendly with silly little tweaks and touches, whereas Apple tends to lead the industry in that area. (this is personal opinion only and not representative of those who host, read, post or reply to said ideas or comments, blah blah legal jumbo blah)

I'm not anal about clearing out background apps on a daily basis, but at times when my iphone performance seems to be sluggish or "unusual", I will go in and clear out everything just as a precaution, and often it seems that performance returns to normal by just completing that process. I don't try to find or ID the one application that might be having an issue, I just dump 'em all in a "mass refresh" old school approach, and start from scratch. It just seems logical that there should be a "flush all" sort of option for those folks of the same mindset. Obviously, there are others (well, at least 1 :) ) who feel the same, thus why this thread was created.

Of course, the power off process irritates me too, with the whole mash for x-seconds, then slide... well, I won't go into that one. That's all phones these days anyway, or most for sure.

Neither issue, of course, is irritating enough to make me give up my iPhone, so in reality, it's all sort of moot, as you say. It's just a preference sort of thing. Maybe if they'd give me all the new text tones for free instead of mocking me for not upgrading to the i4 yet, I'd be satisfied? :cool:

Last edited:

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
What's the point of having a quick app switcher if you remove them all constantly? I think people are confused as to what is running in the background. Apple designed multitasking as a feature you don't need to manage. But i'll agree there is the occasional app that needs closed if its acting up.

Ahh, I love the quick app switching capabilities of the iPhone, and don't clear all apps on any sort of daily, weekly, etc. sort of schedule. I probably clear them all once every month or so at most, just when performance seems to be suffering for whatever reason.

I've even stopped by the local Apple store with performance related questions, and they recommended clearing all background apps and power cycling the phone to see if performance improved before taking other steps.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What I have noticed is that the phone actually works better if you leave the task manager alone. I'm OCD too so I used to actually quit apps I wasn't using 3 or 4 times a day and noticed that my battery life was running down compared to before I actually started clearing the apps. So I decided to just reboot the phone and use it for a week without clearing any apps through the task manager and maybe it's just mind over matter but I seemed to get a tad bit better battery life. Perhaps because the phone is programmed to optimize the processes I can't say but now the only time I use the task manager to kill an app is if it's frozen or needs to be reset. Once a month I'll go through the list and kill apps that are there that I only use once a month at the most then I'll reboot the phone.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily have to be apps running in the background causing the battery drain it's just the first thing people blame because it seems like the logical culprit. I installed Baker Story, City Story both games in the App Store and they didn't crash or anything. They worked perfectly fine except I noticed that right after I installed them my battery life wasn't as good as before. I loaded them on my old 1st gen and low and behold a phone that sat on my dresser for three days with full battery because it was doing absolutely nothing now lasted half a day before the battery died. I hadn't even run the game on the phone because it wont even open on the 1st gen but incase you think it's just mind over matter once I uninstalled it and rebooted the phone was back to it's 3 day charge habit. So don't be so quick to think it's running apps that cause the drain.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
You can close two at a time if your good with your fingers. I usually put a thumb over both the far left and far right X at the same time. If you get your timing down you can roll right through 30 apps in as little as 10 seconds.

Reactions: Sketso

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
You can close two at a time if your good with your fingers. I usually put a thumb over both the far left and far right X at the same time. If you get your timing down you can roll right through 30 apps in as little as 10 seconds.

Nice! I might put that to the test and see if these old fingers can pull that off, ha!

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I only typically close out apps that continue to run full force when they are "closed", like Pandora and TomTom. Apps that save their state and don't do anything after they're closed stay in the little tray until I get around to them.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
One app that I make sure to close every single time I'm done with it, is the tomtom turn by turn. It does shut itself down after about ten minutes of inactivity but that's ten minutes of GPS juice that I coulda used for something else. All other apps usually behave in the "fast app switcher"

bry360

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
lmao...complaining about something that takes less than a minute to do just baffles my mind, but i guess in this fast paced world we live in, some people grow absolutely incapable of any semblance of patience at all, and want instant gratification.

Me personally, i'll stick to the manual nature of closing app's through the multitasking bar...i mean i spend about the same amount of time per day adjusting options on the phone for whatever reason, i think i can invest a few seconds bettering the performance of my handset.

I thought the exact same thing. Complaining about something that takes less than a minute?? I was excited to hear that you could even double click the menu button and delete the apps that are open. That literally took me 15-20 seconds. How easier can it get than that? LOL!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2