Easiest way to clean out backround apps?

alexWithPhone

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm using an non-jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1.

Short of going to the task manager (Home button double-click) and removing all background apps one-by-one, is there a simpler way to remove all background apps? I sometimes experience slowness and rapid battery drain, but don't know who is the culprit.

Thanks,
Alex

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't get much easier than double clicking and closing the apps you simply arn't using...having to open an app to do this would kind of defeat the whole goal you're trying to achieve...and on the other end, a "mass close" option would close things you're prob not wanting to close. It literally takes seconds to use the multitasking feature to close unused apps...it is your best and most efficient way to stop apps running in the background.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
due to my OCD it really bothers me when there are apps sitting in my switcher tray. yeah i know they are not technically running in the background.. but still

another reason why i love being jailbroken - MultiCleaner FTW!

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Closing paused apps in the task bar

I have an iPad that I let as many as 24 kids use over the course of a week or more. They each will use up to half a dozen apps as they explore the system. Is it true that there will be no memory usage to speak of if 30 to more than 200 apps are in their frozen state?

Is there a set memory amount allocated to store frozen state apps, and when this gets filled up, the system closes the first stored apps and adds the latest stored apps?

Finally, a power off clears all frozen apps stored in the task bar?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have to add.

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't get much easier than double clicking and closing the apps you simply arn't using...having to open an app to do this would kind of defeat the whole goal you're trying to achieve...and on the other end, a "mass close" option would close things you're prob not wanting to close. It literally takes seconds to use the multitasking feature to close unused apps...it is your best and most efficient way to stop apps running in the background.

When you have 20 or 30 different apps listed there, built-up over the last few weeks or so, it gets tedious. I'd much rather have a "flush" option that would take just a few seconds as opposed to 30 seconds + to close them each individually. Power off/on seems to leave items in their frozen state as well. I just tested the "literally takes seconds" thought, and it took... 49 seconds for over 30 apps in the multi-task bar.

Yeah, less than a minute, but geez, it could be done soooo much faster.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lmao...complaining about something that takes less than a minute to do just baffles my mind, but i guess in this fast paced world we live in, some people grow absolutely incapable of any semblance of patience at all, and want instant gratification.

Me personally, i'll stick to the manual nature of closing app's through the multitasking bar...i mean i spend about the same amount of time per day adjusting options on the phone for whatever reason, i think i can invest a few seconds bettering the performance of my handset.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I open up the app switcher and go into jiggly mode. Then I start with the app on the right and delete toward the left. By the time you get to the last one on the left of the screen more apps have slidden in from the right and you repeat until no more come in from the right. If wierd stuff had been happening I reboot as well.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
When you have 20 or 30 different apps listed there, built-up over the last few weeks or so, it gets tedious. I'd much rather have a "flush" option that would take just a few seconds as opposed to 30 seconds + to close them each individually. Power off/on seems to leave items in their frozen state as well. I just tested the "literally takes seconds" thought, and it took... 49 seconds for over 30 apps in the multi-task bar.

Yeah, less than a minute, but geez, it could be done soooo much faster.

lmao...complaining about something that takes less than a minute to do just baffles my mind, but i guess in this fast paced world we live in, some people grow absolutely incapable of any semblance of patience at all, and want instant gratification.

Me personally, i'll stick to the manual nature of closing app's through the multitasking bar...i mean i spend about the same amount of time per day adjusting options on the phone for whatever reason, i think i can invest a few seconds bettering the performance of my handset.

Agreed, if it takes you 30 seconds you're a sloth. I can clear out a trya of 20 apps in maybe 10 seconds...god people

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I've misrepresented myself. It's not just the 49 seconds... it's the double tap, press and hold for jiggly, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, and on and on that irritates me. I'd much rather power off/on, or have a 1 tap flush option to clear all the background apps. Rebooting the phone takes longer than the 49 seconds, but I'd rather let the phone do the work, and if a reboot would work as compared to the above mentioned process currently in place, I would use it instead. That's more time for my eyes to be on the world around me instead of my phone, which isn't such a bad thing. Would it REALLY be that hard to incorporate?

Even *gasp* Microsoft IE *gasp* has a "delete all" option that will clear temp files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web info in just 1 click. Yes, it used to be a separate click for each action, but they improved the process. If you'd rather do each individually, more power to you. I guess I just expect technology to be less? manual.

As for being "incapable of any semblance of patience at all" (as mentioned by one above), I'm a husband (19 years), and a father (10 and 17), so I think I've proven the capacity for patience. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I've misrepresented myself. It's not just the 49 seconds... it's the double tap, press and hold for jiggly, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, tap/clear, and on and on that irritates me. I'd much rather power off/on, or have a 1 tap flush option to clear all the background apps. Rebooting the phone takes longer than the 49 seconds, but I'd rather let the phone do the work, and if a reboot would work as compared to the above mentioned process currently in place, I would use it instead. That's more time for my eyes to be on the world around me instead of my phone, which isn't such a bad thing. Would it REALLY be that hard to incorporate?

Even *gasp* Microsoft IE *gasp* has a "delete all" option that will clear temp files, history, cookies, saved passwords and web info in just 1 click. Yes, it used to be a separate click for each action, but they improved the process. If you'd rather do each individually, more power to you. I guess I just expect technology to be less? manual.

As for being "incapable of any semblance of patience at all" (as mentioned by one above), I'm a husband (19 years), and a father (10 and 17), so I think I've proven the capacity for patience. ;)

The comparison to IE though is kind of moot because Safari also has the same options...neither of them are related to the nature of multiple apps running on an iPhone.

I guess i would understand the need for this if the process of closing the apps took any legitimate amount of time, but seriously, people spend more time picking their nose than it takes to close apps on the iPhone that arn't being used...i mean sure, you could have an "All in 1" app to close apps, but again, in order for it to be limited to the apps you dont want open and filtering out the ones you DO want to leave open...you'd have to go through a setup process, various administrative cues to tell it to properly shut down some apps, etc...these things seem even more time consuming than the simple act of accessing the apps through the multitasking bar and closing them manually...i mean yeah, after you have everything setup, the app may save a few seconds, but then what about new apps? You have to add them in and blah blah blah...

We arn't talking even minutes here...we're talking literally seconds. If your life is so packed full of activity away from important things where mere seconds are making this kind of app worthwhile to you, then perhaps reevaluating the way you partition EVERYTHING is a better approach...not speaking to anyone in particular, just making a general point.

As far as patience go, i was simply being generic to make a point about how insignificant the time it takes to manually close the apps really is, it was not targeted at any one person in here.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm using an non-jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1.

Short of going to the task manager (Home button double-click) and removing all background apps one-by-one, is there a simpler way to remove all background apps? I sometimes experience slowness and rapid battery drain, but don't know who is the culprit.

Thanks,
Alex

Jailbreaking your phone will get you the ability to do exactly what you want . . . yes, I know you can't jailbreak 4.2.1 yet.

Once jailbroken you can get "Remove Background". It can quickly be accessed via SBSettings, another excellent, excellent jailbreak app.

There's another jb app that can make the little minus sign always appear on app icons in the switcher bar. I *think* it is SwitcherMod. With it, you don't have to do that annoying press&hold to get the close option.

I use these often to speed up closing of apps like Pandora, iPod, Sirus, etc.

I'm like you, I don't like to have all that crap sitting in memory in the background. My experience is that my iP4 runs better after clearing out those dozen or so things that can build up over time.

Keith

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking your phone will get you the ability to do exactly what you want . . . yes, I know you can't jailbreak 4.2.1 yet.

Once jailbroken you can get "Remove Background". It can quickly be accessed via SBSettings, another excellent, excellent jailbreak app.

There's another jb app that can make the little minus sign always appear on app icons in the switcher bar. I *think* it is SwitcherMod. With it, you don't have to do that annoying press&hold to get the close option.

I use these often to speed up closing of apps like Pandora, iPod, Sirus, etc.

I'm like you, I don't like to have all that crap sitting in memory in the background. My experience is that my iP4 runs better after clearing out those dozen or so things that can build up over time.

Keith

I'm jailbroken on 4.2.1...easy as pie with Redsn0w (only limited by its tethered nature).

Im curious what you guys are experiencing that is causing you to be unhappy with performance enough to have apps to control background apps...I left every app that i had opened open for months and never experienced any kind of legitimate slow down or performance lag...

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what you guys are experiencing that is causing you to be unhappy with performance enough to have apps to control background apps...I left every app that i had opened open for months and never experienced any kind of legitimate slow down or performance lag...

Well, to be brutally honest I don't *know* that there's a measurable performance difference . . . could be it just makes me feel better . . .

Ha.

Keith

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
What's the point of having a quick app switcher if you remove them all constantly? I think people are confused as to what is running in the background. Apple designed multitasking as a feature you don't need to manage. But i'll agree there is the occasional app that needs closed if its acting up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox