Well, apparently there is a way but it isn't cheap. I called Verizon and spoke to a rep about this very subject. My wifes line is the one available for an upgrade, I was going to use her line and then swap, but she'd be devastated to lose voicemails she has from when we were just dating. He did some research and stated it was new to him also but apparently there is a way to archive old voicemails and have them sent to you via email or CD. I can't recall the email price but the CD price was $18 for 1-3 voicemails or $28 for 4-6. I'd be happy to post the phone number he gave me if anyone was interested.
    Last edited by Hangfire; 01-23-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    01-23-2011 01:00 PM
    Well, apparently there is a way but it isn't cheap. I called Verizon and spoke to a rep about this very subject. My wifes line is the one available for an upgrade, I was going to use her line and then swap, but she'd be devastated to lose voicemails she has from when we were just dating. He did some research and stated it was new to him also but apparently there is a way to archive old voicemails and have them sent to you via email or CD. I can't recall the email price but the CD price was $18 for 1-3 voicemails or $28 for 4-6. I'd be happy to post the phone number he gave me if anyone was interested.
    Um, there are some pretty simple and inexpensive (i.e. free) ways to record phone calls and get them saved as WAV or MP3 files. Google Voice is one that comes to mind ...
    01-23-2011 01:09 PM
    Info on saving voice mails can also be had on the "Getting Ready Guide":

iPhone 4. Verizon. It Begins.
    01-23-2011 01:10 PM
    Um, there are some pretty simple and inexpensive (i.e. free) ways to record phone calls and get them saved as WAV or MP3 files. Google Voice is one that comes to mind ...
    Quite condescending but appreciated nonetheless. Perhaps one of you more knowledgeable folks should create a post with instructions on how to do so as I have yet to see a post regarding this issue.

Also, will Google Voice allow you access to previous voicemail messages or only new ones?
    01-23-2011 01:42 PM
    KCH, I called Verizon back inquiring as to what you stated about what the "Getting Ready Guide" indicates as a way to save voicemails per Visual Voicemail and then saving to an SD card. I was informed that when you setup Visual Voicemail it sets up a new voicemail box, so old voicemails would not be able to be accessed this way. It would appear that the method in the "Getting Ready Guide" is awash for most who don't already have it, and if eric's method of Google Voice doesn't allow access to old voicemails, then we are back to what I originally stated as an alternative with the company CBW, what Verizon offers.
    Last edited by Hangfire; 01-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    01-23-2011 01:52 PM
    I do not see with google voice how to record the saved messages I have.
    01-23-2011 01:55 PM
    Agreed, which is why I made this post. At first I felt a little stupid for posting it after reading the previous replies but it would appear that neither of those suggestions would suffice for those of us wanting to archive old voicemails. For the record, this information can be found on Verizon's website but to save some the trouble of having to track it down, the companies name is CBW and their # is 800-770-8046. Again, their price in my opinion is a little steep but unless I find another way I'll have to pay it as to my wife, those voicemails are priceless.
    01-23-2011 01:58 PM
    KCH, I called Verizon back inquiring as to what you stated about what the "Getting Ready Guide" indicates as a way to save voicemails per Visual Voicemail and then saving to an SD card. I was informed that when you setup Visual Voicemail it sets up a new voicemail box, so old voicemails would not be able to be accessed this way. It would appear that the method in the "Getting Ready Guide" is awash for most who don't already have it, and if eric's method of Google Voice doesn't allow access to old voicemails, then we are back to what I originally stated as an alternative with the company CBW, what Verizon offers.
    One can get the stuff needed at Radio Shack to record phone calls via a landline phone, dial into their voice mail, hit record, and go through the motions to playback archived voicemails while recording. A little pick-up coil that would stick on the phone earpiece and plug into a cassette recorder is $8.
    01-23-2011 02:53 PM
    You could also call your voicemail on your computer with Skype, and then just record the Skype conversation. You would need an audio recording program (like Audacity) or something, but it is possible to record Skype conversations. That's how one of my friends did interviews for her podcast.

Here's a link on how to record Skype calls: How to record Skype Calls - SkypeTips.com

That would be a lot cheaper than the $18 or $28.
    Hangfire likes this.
    01-23-2011 03:25 PM
    Thnx for the tip
    01-23-2011 03:28 PM
    What about me,i use IMCapture for Skype.It's prog for record audio and video calls.I like this simple prog.
    03-18-2011 08:21 AM
    Quite condescending but appreciated nonetheless. Perhaps one of you more knowledgeable folks should create a post with instructions on how to do so as I have yet to see a post regarding this issue.

Also, will Google Voice allow you access to previous voicemail messages or only new ones?
    I didn't mean to come off as condescending, sorry about that.

GV can completely take over all your calls, texts, and voicemails. I happen to like GV.

However, your voicemails will not transfer from Verizon to GV. GV can record phone calls so your voicemails are then saved forever as an MP3 or WAV. When you activate the iPhone, you can use either its built-in VVM or you can use GV's "VVM" (that's essentially what it is).
    03-18-2011 09:20 AM
    GV can record phone calls, not transfer messages. So you can call your current VM using GV, save the entire phone call, and then move to your iPhone.
    03-18-2011 09:21 AM
    Agreed, which is why I made this post. At first I felt a little stupid for posting it after reading the previous replies but it would appear that neither of those suggestions would suffice for those of us wanting to archive old voicemails. For the record, this information can be found on Verizon's website but to save some the trouble of having to track it down, the companies name is CBW and their # is 800-770-8046. Again, their price in my opinion is a little steep but unless I find another way I'll have to pay it as to my wife, those voicemails are priceless.
    Again, I'm sorry for the late response. These suggestions are not for transferring voicemails to the iPhone, it's for recording your VMs.

GV definitely records phone calls. So you would record yourself checking your messages.

The VZW site is probably the easiest, but certainly not the cheapest nor the only solution.
    03-18-2011 09:24 AM
    I recently bought Disk Aid from DigiDNA (support@digidna) - 11.88. which will store voicemails to a PC or MAC computer; I'm using Windows 7.

You then have to dowload the .amr extension.

I have so far saved a very clear landline message and am working on the voicemails on my iPad.

If you search for DISKAID they have a demo video which shows you how to retrieve and save (or search Digidna). You are given a free trial download after which you can purchase the software..

Note: when playing the demo, you are given a Code for discounting the price of 11.88 - I forgot to note the code so it can be cheaper.

Good researching

JazzJazz
    01-07-2012 06:30 AM
    can i knw hw i can use this one?
    Last edited by jayabaluan; 02-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    01-07-2012 08:11 AM
    My company was replacing an old voice mail system that has some important/memorable voice mail messages I want to keep. It's an old "Simon" voicemail system. I've been intending for years to save these off, and never got around to it until now. Just as well, because now it's easy.

FYI, this will work for ANY voice mail system that allows you to dial in and retrieve your messages from another phone. So first you need to find the remote access to voicemail feature, i.e., what number to call to get to your voicemail from any phone, and make sure you have your signon & password info.

STEPS THAT WORKED FOR ME

On my Android phone (LG G2x), I used an app named "Record My Call" version 4.11 that records phone calls.
    - I downloaded and installed the app
    - I activated the recording feature
    - I called my work voice mail remote access number it's a "Simon" voice mail system
    - The app started recording.
    - I entered my voice mailbox extension number and password
    - I chose the option to listen to messages
    - I listened to each message, and then selected "next message" after each, to hear the next one
    - I hung up after the last message.
    - In the app, I chose "Share", and to use the "EMail" app. I had it send the MP3 file to my GMail address.
    - On my desktop computer, I opened the email in GMail, and saved the attachment to the desktop.
    - I verified that I could play the MP3 file I just saved. Yes, I could and it sounded good and captured everything.

Note that the same app did not seem to work on my Motorola Atrix 2. So you may need to try more than one program to find something that works on your phone.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Jack Daniels; 06-12-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    06-12-2012 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD