Question on Transfering Upgrade for iPhone 4

nickyf982

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am a Verizon customer and I'm currently on a family share plan. My line isn't eligible for an upgrade, but my uncle's is and he said I could use his upgrade for it. Right now, Verizon reps have said that you won't have the option to transfer an upgrade to another line and order the iPhone like you usually can. For whatever reason, they decided that won't be available until a later time. I was told that you would have to order the iPhone on the eligible line and then manually change the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) over to the MDN (Mobile Directory Number) on which device you want.

Does anyone know how this process works? My uncle lives in another state, so I am hoping I won't need his current phone or his help doing this at all. I am hoping this method won't affect his current phone at all.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how this process works? My uncle lives in another state, so I am hoping I won't need his current phone or his help doing this at all. I am hoping this method won't affect his current phone at all.

Yes, it's done online via MyVerizon. Do you have access to the account online?

You would order it, activate the iPhone (so it shows up online), swap the MEIDs/ESNs online, and then reactive your iPhone and his phone.

The reactivation is simple ... *228, option 1. Just let him know when you'll be doing it and he'd be without service for about 3 minutes.

Speculation here, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Verizon changes this policy by the time the phone actually launches. So many customers will want to do this, it'd be in their best interest to automate this process.

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a hassle. i dont understand why they wouldnt let you transfer upgrades to pre order.. theyd be making just as much business

lilmoney30#WN

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Im sorta in the same boat, Im gonna use my wifes upgrade to the IP4 and im going to buy her the droid pro out right just because its cheeper this way. So im going to have them swapped when I activate :)
I love this site by the way! Im coming from a Droid 2 and I can't wait to finally have a real phone!

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
so say i use have one of my siblings upgrade and get the phone.. then what do i do to get it activated on my line once we get it?

farrellcsun

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Eric, the one issue I can think of when "swapping" the ESNs is that I don't really want to "swap" the phones: I want the iPhone transferred to my account, but the other line wants to stay with their current "dumb phone"...they don't want to "swap" with the current Droid I have.

I'm sure it can be done over the phone, but it may not be as simple as just swapping the ESNs online once you activate the iPhone.

(Unless, correct me if I'm wrong, once the ESNs are "swapped" online, the other person dials *228 option 1 on their "dumb phone" and that restores their original phone to the line. I haven't looked at the MyAccount interface to see what is involved. Maybe you can swap ESNs without swapping devices...)

Sorry if that sounds all confusing! :)

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
(Unless, correct me if I'm wrong, once the ESNs are "swapped" online, the other person dials *228 option 1 on their "dumb phone" and that restores their original phone to the line. I haven't looked at the MyAccount interface to see what is involved. Maybe you can swap ESNs without swapping devices...)

That is correct. Some people are reporting that the iPhone will be activated via iTunes w/o *228 ... but here's the proper procedure.

1) Activate iPhone on upgraded line.
2) Once activated, go to myverizon and re-activate the old dumbphone. *228, dumbphone restored as it was.
3) Back in myverizon, do an ESN swap for the iPhone on your line. Reactivate iPhone. Droid now removed from system.

It would be simplest if Verizon let's you just choose which line on your account, but if not, it's an easy 3-step process that just requires the other person on the account to dial *228 once and it's set.

Last edited:

farrellcsun

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Eric. Seems pretty straightforward. I did end up calling Verizon Customer Service a little while ago since I hadn't done that yet (just a touch OCD). The girl said that it would be no problem to do the swap. Just to call them and they can do it on their end, then I would just have to activate/program the necessary phone(s).

Once I finally go through the rigmarole, I'll come back and let everyone know about my experience.

Good luck everyone!

UPDATE 2/10/11: Just wanted to let everyone know that the upgrade process was just as easy as Eric above had mentioned. Have been using it since Monday and everything has been great!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner