So I am switching from a droid Incredible to an iphone when it comes out. I have a year left on my contract and figured i would just buy an iphone and wait till next year to get the upgrade deal on the newer model.

Anyways, there are two things that are stopping me from Ditching my Droid and jumping on the iphone bandwagon.

1.) Lack of flash (not a deal breaker but a slight inconvenience)
    2.) No google navigator.

I NEED good navigation software. I drive to random places all the time. What is a good app that is similar if not better than google navigator? Something with voice guidance, speaks the street names will pause music when it tells me a turn then continues to play it ect.

I saw the price of the tomtom app and got half sick. $45? is it worth it?

Your thoughts.
    Last edited by omfgitsjustin; 01-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    01-22-2011 12:20 PM
    If you really want a good, serious navigator - get a Garmin Nuvi. Or TomTom. Dedicated device.

The jack of all trades device is a master of none.

I have a Nuvi-765t. Love it.

That said, when it comes to an iPhone app, I'll probably go with Garmin's or Navigon's - despite their hefty price - because they'll give me the closest experience I'm used to on my Nuvi. I like to think of that as a supplement to my Nuvi.
    01-22-2011 12:33 PM
    If you really want a good, serious navigator - get a Garmin Nuvi. Or TomTom. Dedicated device.

The jack of all trades device is a master of none.

I have a Nuvi-765t. Love it.

That said, when it comes to an iPhone app, I'll probably go with Garmin's or Navigon's - despite their hefty price - because they'll give me the closest experience I'm used to on my Nuvi. I like to think of that as a supplement to my Nuvi.
    I just don't want to carry around another device ya know. before I owned a droid, i carried 3 devices with me lol (Blackberry, Tomtom, ipod).
    01-22-2011 12:41 PM
    My Nuvi stays in the car. If I need nav on foot, I have Google on my BB Tour now, and will use an app when I get my iPhone... and my Nuvi has 4GB of mp3 on it... same as my iTunes library - Got all the bases covered
    01-22-2011 12:45 PM
    I'm hoping Verizon throws us a bone for waiting so long and gives us the mobile hotspot for free. That way my Droid can stay in the car all the time as a dedicated GPS and connect to my iPhone via wifi. lol
    01-22-2011 01:07 PM
    My Nuvi stays in the car. If I need nav on foot, I have Google on my BB Tour now, and will use an app when I get my iPhone... and my Nuvi has 4GB of mp3 on it... same as my iTunes library - Got all the bases covered
    Does it get really cold where you live? I live in PA and sometimes it drops down to 9 degrees. I just dont want a gps to freeze or get too hot in the summer
    01-22-2011 04:11 PM
    Not literally in the car all the time...Goes in the car in the morning, and back in the house at the end of the day - it's part of the routine.
    01-22-2011 04:40 PM
    I wouldn't get a dedicated unit, I don't see the need anymore. I've used TomTom, Navigon, and Telenav (AT&T Navigator) and they're all very good.

If you like to have on-device maps (in case you leave a coverage area) the latest Navigon MobileNavigator is fantastic. There's also Waze if you want a really cheap alternative.

(And I don't miss Flash on iPhone, I even turned it off on my Nexus One because it's still not ready for primetime on mobile... :-/ )
    01-22-2011 04:41 PM
    GPS Drive is a great app .. only like $2-3 bucks a month and has a bunch of features. I used to use it all the time when I delivered pizza back in high school.

TomTom and all those others are ridiculously overpriced.. GPS Drive is the way to go.
    01-22-2011 04:46 PM
    There is one thing that makes stand-alone GPS navigators better than apps: Customized POIs. (points of information) One can create customized lists, and use them to navigate to - and there are places out there that you can download thousands of lists people have compiled and share. Apps are very limited in the ability to deal with custom POI lists. If Garmin or TomTom makes their apps POI friendly, they'll have a winner.
    01-22-2011 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD