Not happy with Apple right now... (part 2)

Smithsj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok first post on TiPB so here we go,

To preface my story I need to explain that I already have a $200 apple store gift card and a line on my family plan is also eligible for an upgrade. Naturally I would like to buy the phone through apple so I can use that towards my balance.

I tried switching the eligibility from the one line on my plan to mine in order to receive the discounted price and after the MyVerizon site had confirmed that I had done so, it took me to a screen where I would be able to shop for a new phone. I obviously don't want to do that right now so I simply navigated away from the page but to my dismay, my upgrade kept showing up on the other line.

After a few tries I then called Verizon where the rep told me that I would be able to receive the upgrade price only if I buy it through Verizon and would have to pay full retail through Apple.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If there is another easy way to switch the upgrade to my line, or if I'm just doing it wrong on the website, what should I do?

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same situation smithsj. What you'll have to do is, on the 3rd, log in to your account and then do the line transfer. When it takes you to selecting a phone, then select the iphone. That's what I see as the only approach to using the upgrade.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
After a few tries I then called Verizon where the rep told me that I would be able to receive the upgrade price only if I buy it through Verizon and would have to pay full retail through Apple.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If there is another easy way to switch the upgrade to my line, or if I'm just doing it wrong on the website, what should I do?

Yes, you can transfer the upgrade to another line while you purchase. You cannot "leave the upgrade transferred" to another line on your family share.

I'm not sure what systems Apple will have access to in stores, but you may be able to purchase it from them at the 2-year price on the line that's eligible for the upgrade, and then do an ESN swap after.

digitard#WN

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
how do you do an esn swap online?

Basically once the iPhone is activated on the phone that can do the contract upgrade you go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless and login. Select the phone that the upgrade was done on. Choose the option to activate a phone. It'll give you a little image to show you where your ESN/MEID is located, and you'll get that from the phone it "SHOULD" be on. Complete the steps.

Once the old phone is activated you can simply do the exact same steps to the phone the iPhone "SHOULD" be on, and then it will activate.

Once you've done this on each phone dial *228 and select the option to program your phone. Then do it again, to be safe, and select the option to upgrade your Preferred Roaming List (I do this part once a month to be safe).

So basically, since you can't swap the contract, you'd legit upgrade the line you can to the iPhone. Then you're switching that phone back to the original in step 1, and activating the iPhone on the line it should be on for step 2. Should take about 10mins or less.

.profit.

Last edited:
Reactions: nies

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
ok so let me get this straight. id get the phone on the eligible line and activated, once activated and working id reactivate theyre old phone for that line, then once the iphone isnt on their line, i would activate onto my line.. does that sound correct?

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
and does it matter which you use to activate it? ESN, MEID, or IMEI? and where is the ESN located on the iphone

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
and does it matter which you use to activate it? ESN, MEID, or IMEI? and where is the ESN located on the iphone

Should be the MEID... and usually those are found on the label under the battery... well, on the iPhone - you can probably power up and get to a screen to see the MEID.

nies

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
just found it online, settings->general->about then go down and find the IMEI or MEID or ESN, whichever shows up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73