newbie with some ?'s

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
hi all,new to the forum and the iphone and have a few questions that i couldn't find using the forum search.i'm still getting used to an all touch screen phone again and that i still have a crackberry problem,lol.so heres my questions,

is there a way to set a home page for the web browser or does it always start on the last page it was on?

whats the best way to get ringtones onto the phone and into the ringtones folder?

whats some good free games/apps to use to kill some time for when i'm bored?

looking forward to gaining some knowledge from everyone

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
- There is no "homescreen" on iPhone Safari...so no, you cannot set one.

- The best way to "get" ringtones is to make them...do a quick search to find instructions, once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy.

(*edit* - because i feel generous today...here's a DIY link so you don't have to search How to make your own iPhone ringtones - Mobile Phones )

- Go to app store and go to Top 25...and select the "Top Free" tab...all the free time killer apps you could shake a stick at.

...welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: eklenken

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes it will start up on the last page you had open and you can also open multiple pages by hitting the icon in the right bottom corner with the two sqaures with a number inside. This will open a screen where you can open a new page and browse to the web address you want. This is also how you switch between multiple pages that are open.

I find my favorite site is www.audiko.net(done on your computer) at the top there is a search bar click the button to the right so that it says audiko search instead of google search and search for whatever you want. I find that the site is really good they have really obscure stuff like the transformers cartoon theme song to the latest song. Once you get a return on your search open each one in a new screen so you don't have to use Back or start the search again. When you find the one you like click on download for my iPhone. This will put it in a que that you can then click on the link to download the file to your computer. I personally made a folder called ringtones in my Music folder and that is where I keep all the downloaded files. Once it's in that spot double click the file it will start to play in iTunes and you can select it and sync it to your phone.

Games/App
I can't seperate them whether they are free or not you'll have to search and find out.

Angry Birds, Words with friends, Fruit Ninja, Scrabble, Scramble, Paper Toss, Monopoly, Bakery Story, City Story, Farmville (Warning: I found that City Story, Bakery Story cause battery drain I don't know why and it doesn't crash or misbehave)

Evernote, Awesome Notes, AirView, Voices, MoneyTrackin, Weathereye

xDAKx

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Browser homescreen has been covered.

As I'm not sure if your on a Mac, I'll keep any app recommendations minimal, but I personally use iRingtones on Mac which you can use to pull music straight from your iTunes library, or drop clips onto which then gives you a scrubber and basic edit tools (fade in, fade out, trim.) and when your finished, will save the file as an .m4r into your iTunes ringtone directory and make them available for syncing onto your device.

I believe an old trick I used to use back on my 3G for ringtones was to clip a song to less-than-25 seconds using Audacity (a free open source audio editor available across most platforms), save them as MPEG4 Audio files (.m4a) and then rename those files to use the .m4r extension, however it's been a long time since I've tried this trick, and knowing Apple, it may have been patched or closed.

Time killer apps?

In games, my favourites have always been FlightControl, AngryBirds, Fruit Ninja and recently DoodleDefence has become a pretty good little game as well.

For general apps, Instapaper, Instagram and Twitter are what I'm mostly in, if your at all like me and like to occasionally stay up to date with what's going on while on the go when you have a bit of idle time, the NYTimes app is rather good as well.

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
- There is no "homescreen" on iPhone Safari...so no, you cannot set one.

- The best way to "get" ringtones is to make them...do a quick search to find instructions, once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy.

- Go to app store and go to Top 25...and select the "Top Free" tab...all the free time killer apps you could shake a stick at.

...welcome!

thank you,i asked a coworker who also has a iphone4 and he was really sure about the home page.thank you for the link,i will def check that out along with the other suggestions.andd yeah,i've been digging around in the app store,but briefly,not much different than app world for BB.again thanks for the help and suggestions.

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will start up on the last page you had open and you can also open multiple pages by hitting the icon in the right bottom corner with the two sqaures with a number inside. This will open a screen where you can open a new page and browse to the web address you want. This is also how you switch between multiple pages that are open.

I find my favorite site is [audiko] on your computer) at the top there is a search bar click the button to the right so that it says audiko search instead of google search and search for whatever you want. I find that the site is really good they have really obscure stuff like the transformers cartoon theme song to the latest song. Once you get a return on your search open each one in a new screen so you don't have to use Back or start the search again. When you find the one you like click on download for my iPhone. This will put it in a que that you can then click on the link to download the file to your computer. I personally made a folder called ringtones in my Music folder and that is where I keep all the downloaded files. Once it's in that spot double click the file it will start to play in iTunes and you can select it and sync it to your phone.

Games/App
I can't seperate them whether they are free or not you'll have to search and find out.

Angry Birds, Words with friends, Fruit Ninja, Scrabble, Scramble, Paper Toss, Monopoly, Bakery Story, City Story, Farmville (Warning: I found that City Story, Bakery Story cause battery drain I don't know why and it doesn't crash or misbehave)

Evernote, Awesome Notes, AirView, Voices, MoneyTrackin, Weathereye

yup found out about the multiple tabs when i was on a webpage and it opened a link in it,works alot nicer than the tabbed browsing on my BB.and also thank you for the link,i will also give that a try this weekend.i take it i wont be able to open that link on the iphone and have them download right to the phone? and thanks for the suggestions on the apps,i'll check some of them out also.

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Browser homescreen has been covered.

As I'm not sure if your on a Mac, I'll keep any app recommendations minimal, but I personally use iRingtones on Mac which you can use to pull music straight from your iTunes library, or drop clips onto which then gives you a scrubber and basic edit tools (fade in, fade out, trim.) and when your finished, will save the file as an .m4r into your iTunes ringtone directory and make them available for syncing onto your device.

I believe an old trick I used to use back on my 3G for ringtones was to clip a song to less-than-25 seconds using Audacity (a free open source audio editor available across most platforms), save them as MPEG4 Audio files (.m4a) and then rename those files to use the .m4r extension, however it's been a long time since I've tried this trick, and knowing Apple, it may have been patched or closed.

Time killer apps?

In games, my favourites have always been FlightControl, AngryBirds, Fruit Ninja and recently DoodleDefence has become a pretty good little game as well.

For general apps, Instapaper, Instagram and Twitter are what I'm mostly in, if your at all like me and like to occasionally stay up to date with what's going on while on the go when you have a bit of idle time, the NYTimes app is rather good as well.

no i'm not on a mac,acer with windows os,will iringtones work on windows? thanks for all the info,looks like i have alot to learn as that have never had an iphone before.have a first gen ipod but never really messed around to much on it,just jailbroke it and played around here and there with cydia program to kinda figre out what it could do.

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
back with another question that for the life of me i can't figure out.whenever my iphone wants to sync,it pulls all of my favorites from internet explorer and adds them to the favorites list in safari.i dont want it to do that and cannot find anyway to make it stop,went through every setup screen in itunes and cannot find setting to change.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yup found out about the multiple tabs when i was on a webpage and it opened a link in it,works alot nicer than the tabbed browsing on my BB.and also thank you for the link,i will also give that a try this weekend.i take it i wont be able to open that link on the iphone and have them download right to the phone? and thanks for the suggestions on the apps,i'll check some of them out also.

Try it out, sorry lol you wont be able to do it from the iDevice the way I said because you'll have to download the m4r file. There is however a send to my phone option which I guess would work fine from the phone, I've never used the option because I prefer to do things manually so I'm in control.

bennett22

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys,i'll try these hopefully tomorrow if i can get the time.so far i'm liking the iphone4 more and more,and def get better cell service from at&t than i do with sprint at work.might finally part ways with sprint and go strictly at&t when my sprint contract is up in june

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner