it all makes sense now

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
The last time Jobs took a leave, Apple did as well. No real new products in 2009.

Now with him taking another leave, will Apple introduce the iphone 4Gs this summer. Just a cleaned up version of the 4. Waiting until next year to introduce the iphone 5 for both carriers?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
One thing you got to remember, these iPhone are planned more than 6 months before release. They are planned 12-18 ahead of release. Mr Jobs taking a leave of absense doesnt stop a newly great iPhone from being released

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yup thats correct. I remember Mr Jobs saying that in a previous keynote. Rumor has it that this summers iPhone is a redesign again

I seriously doubt it. I think at most it would be subtle changes. They didn't spend 18 months designing the current look just to scrap it one cycle later. I'd say 2012 is when they do a big redesign due to the size and complexity of LTE chips.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I seriously doubt it. I think at most it would be subtle changes. They didn't spend 18 months designing the current look just to scrap it one cycle later. I'd say 2012 is when they do a big redesign due to the size and complexity of LTE chips.

I sure hope they wouldn't change it already with this summer's phone. I really like the current design, it would be a shame to see it go already.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The CEO of a company certainly does make a good impression on the company but just because a CEO takes a medical leave does not mean that the entire company will suffer. Apple is a major company and are well prepared if Jobs ever needs to take a few days off to handle things on Jobs leave.

HuaxuCC

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The CEO of a company certainly does make a good impression on the company but just because a CEO takes a medical leave does not mean that the entire company will suffer. Apple is a major company and are well prepared if Jobs ever needs to take a few days off to handle things on Jobs leave.

I agree with you, don't think Apple will just be idle there when Jobs is gone.

And it's unlikely they are still planning for their next phone now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Historic events have shown that when Jobs takes time off, the company goes through a list of changes (both developmentally and economically). This is not to say that this same stuff will happen again, but when it has happened in the past, it was certainly a noticeable event.

Now before, when Jobs took time off...the market reflected in a negative tone, but this time, im guessing a combination of the momentum from last years releases (iPad, iPhone 4, increase in mac popularity) they were able to carry a nice Q1 report even under the influence of a sick Steve Jobs. I think this is a very good thing because it means that the outlook on the company is moving more towards the products and less on the leadership...it is an unfortunate thing that he is having any kind of health issue, but the fact of the matter is, the company is now substantial, it has a user base that is really starting to see legitimate numbers...and the companies survival should be based on the company itself, not its leaders...as much as i admire Steve Jobs, he wont be here forever.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think we will see a refresh of the current design, perhaps new screen technology, faster dual core processor, nfc and some qualcom dual gsm / cdma guts. Would love to see a FM Radio added but not holding my breath. And likely a bump in system ram and storage capacity. I think the big iPhone update will be in 2012 with the LTE devices.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I also agree that the iPhone 5 that comes this summer will be a decent refresh with a few little toys added...it certainly will not be a total overhaul, and for good reason, the iPhone 4 is still quite hot on the market, people need to eat that up before Apple gives them something substantially new...it's all about profit within that thought process, and part of the reason why Apple "appears" to release old tech on their new items...people complain all the time about how Apple is a step behind the tech curve when they release their newest phone, but the truth of the matter is...they like to get what they can out of a major phone overhaul (iPhone 2G to 3G/3GS), it gives them profit AND time to perfect what goes into the phone itself.

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The real issue will be what will happen to apple when he is retired for good. In his health situation he cannot work that hard for very much longer and live a long life...I hope he retires and enjoys some different things in life!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Based on this Q1 report, it seems Apple is becoming self sufficient...that's what i was talking about before...they are showing legitimate users now, something they've never had in the past on the computer side, and because of that, atleast in my opinion, they are moving away from a time where Steve Jobs leadership was what kept everything working in sync, now it seems, the company itself is actually floating the boat.

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The CEO of a company certainly does make a good impression on the company but just because a CEO takes a medical leave does not mean that the entire company will suffer. .

Steve Jobs is no ordinary CEO. His influence, celebrity and press appeal is unmatched so he shouldn't be lumped with other CEO's.

And as for the leave, I really doubt everything at Apple is "business as usual". I'm sure they plan for stuff like this but my worry is that part of their plan is " shelf this until Steve is ready". Apple is behind in several product releases (Time Capsule, MBP13 upgrade, Final Cut, iWork) so it would be a shame for the consumer to be put on hold due to a single persons medical issues.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yup thats correct. I remember Mr Jobs saying that in a previous keynote. Rumor has it that this summers iPhone is a redesign again

But that same rumor is also saying the ipad will go retina which is already being shot down by Gruber.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I really wished Steve taking some time off would move the stock price because it would be a (Tony the tiger voice) GRRRRRREAT time to buy shares. Once the market hype dies away the price will skyrocket again and whoever bought will make some good dough :D As for the lineup I think the next phone coming out will not be a blow away device like the iPhone 4. I think it will be a small but substantial upgrade that will make people with an iPhone 4 who have to have the latest upgrade and people still on a 3Gs upgrade but others will just wait. I think the iPad is going to be the real WOW because of all the other tablets coming to market and how great a seller it is already. If it has a faster CPU, more memory and cameras that would be enough for some. So a higher res and SD card slot plus lighter and slimmer should be enough to put it over the top.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ AAPL stock was expected to drop on tuesday, and people got their itchy sell finger ready and as soon as the market opened, alot of amateurs sold their stock off without waiting to see what was going to actually happen...and then they reported their first quarter, and people who sold were eating crow...

Regardless of what happened this week though, buying stock in Apple right now is a VERY good idea...because its just going to keep going up, especially with the positive earnings results...the stock itself is still quite cheap for what it has in potential...just wait a few years when it's running 3-4x its value now...you'll sit back and wish you had bought at $300.