I plan on getting iphones for both my wife and I, but probably don't want to get insurance. I'm mostly concerned about screen/back breakage or scratches. Will Apple Care cover that, and is it free for the first year. I'll probably switch phones after a year but my wife will most likely keep hers for 2.
    01-18-2011 10:45 AM
    Apple Care isnt going to cover scratches on your phone.
    01-18-2011 10:46 AM
    Apple Care isnt going to cover scratches on your phone.
    what about a broken screen from a fall?
    01-18-2011 10:48 AM
    iPhone - AppleCare Protection Plan - Apple Store (U.S.)
    There is the link to see what apple care will cover
    01-18-2011 10:51 AM
    I plan on getting iphones for both my wife and I, but probably don't want to get insurance. I'm mostly concerned about screen/back breakage or scratches. Will Apple Care cover that, and is it free for the first year. I'll probably switch phones after a year but my wife will most likely keep hers for 2.
    It covers hardware defects and that's pretty much it. You get the standard warranty for an extra year and phone support for that period as well. Scratches and broken glass are not covered. If you want better coverage check with a third party insurance company.
    01-18-2011 11:01 AM
    If you're only planning on keeping the phone for 1 year then pass on the Applecare (unless you want it as a selling feature). It really only kicks in the second year and by extending the coverage you get for free in year one. The only added benefit is with Applecare your phone support extends from the free 90 days to a full 2 years.

You can add Applecare at any point during the first year of ownership.
    01-18-2011 11:05 AM
    It covers hardware defects and that's pretty much it. You get the standard warranty for an extra year and phone support for that period as well. Scratches and broken glass are not covered. If you want better coverage check with a third party insurance company.
    any 3rd party insurance recommendations?
    01-18-2011 11:18 AM
    I was going to check into State Farm and see what they had to offer.
    01-18-2011 11:24 AM
    Ok, so I called Sate Farm and they have a policy called a personal artical floater that would cover things like an iPhone. But as of the first of the year they do not cover "cell phones" because of the amount of claims that were coming in. Mainly because the policy had no deductable. She did say that it would still cover computers and jewlery. Oh well, next plan!
    01-18-2011 11:33 AM
    It's likely that Verizon will offer an Asurion product similar in nature to what they offer on other smart phone devices like Droids, Blackberrys, etc.

Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery
    01-18-2011 11:47 AM
    It's likely that Verizon will offer an Asurion product similar in nature to what they offer on other smart phone devices like Droids, Blackberrys, etc.

Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage now with Mobile Recovery
    Yeah but someone said for at&t the deductible was $200 compared to the 89 thats the deductible with current smart phones
    01-18-2011 11:53 AM
    Check with your homeowners/renters insurance company first.

I have a floater policy on my homeowners insurance that covers my iPhone for $25 a year. If anything happens to it Statefarm gives me a check for the full price to get a new one.

Although I see now Statefarm is not covering cell phones anymore. I just paid up for 2011 and my agent didn't even mention it.
    Last edited by sting7k; 01-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    01-18-2011 12:31 PM
    Yeah but someone said for at&t the deductible was $200 compared to the 89 thats the deductible with current smart phones
    You dont go through At&t to purchase the insurance. You buy it through the "Mobile Protect" app in app store and it insurance through Asurion. Asurion sets the price and not Att. Its due to the high retail/non-contract price
    01-18-2011 12:38 PM
    Check with your homeowners/renters insurance company first.

I have a floater policy on my homeowners insurance that covers my iPhone for $25 a year. If anything happens to it Statefarm gives me a check for the full price to get a new one.

Although I see now Statefarm is not covering cell phones anymore. I just paid up for 2011 and my agent didn't even mention it.
    It sure would have been nice to get in on that before the end of the year hit.
    01-18-2011 01:24 PM
    I will double check the State Farm info with my boyfriend, he is an agent with them.

Does anybody have experience with Square Trade's iPhone insurance? Looks good...
    01-18-2011 04:49 PM
    I wish I had known about the Mobile Protect app when I bought my iPhone4. It says you're only eligible within the first 30 days of buying the phone.
    01-19-2011 10:43 AM
    It sure would have been nice to get in on that before the end of the year hit.
    Yea, I emailed my agent and he said if you already had it before 2011 you are grandfathered in but they are no longer offering floaters for "cell phones" specifically. I've been getting one on my iPhone since my original back in 2007.
    01-19-2011 11:43 AM
    You dont go through At&t to purchase the insurance. You buy it through the "Mobile Protect" app in app store and it insurance through Asurion. Asurion sets the price and not Att. Its due to the high retail/non-contract price
    yeah that price was through asurion
    01-19-2011 12:34 PM
    Yea, I emailed my agent and he said if you already had it before 2011 you are grandfathered in but they are no longer offering floaters for "cell phones" specifically. I've been getting one on my iPhone since my original back in 2007.
    Checked with my boyfriend, who is a State Farm agent, and he said the same thing. He also said there is technically still a way to do it, but it's more of a general "electronics" coverage on your homeowners/renters insurance. That doesn't cover breakage, spills, etc... only normal stuff like theft, lightning, etc... and there's a deductible. Not really appropriate for a phone.

Nice that you're grandfathered in
    01-19-2011 04:50 PM
    Aha! The forum search function is your friend... lol!

It seems quite a few people on the iPhone forum have had good experiences with SquareTrade's iPhone insurance. That answers my previous question. I will probably go that route.
    01-19-2011 05:05 PM
    I was able to add it to my homeowner/renter ins ... Auto-Owner Ins Group... It didn't cost me hardly anything to add... NO Deductible, and unfortunately I just had to use it to the gf's getting stolen on Xmas eve...

It was a pretty painless process, was glad she kept her 3GS so she wasn't phoneless and you set the amount you want to insure it for... Insured my 32 GB for $800 to cover the taxes and stuff... gave me a check for 756 or whatever it was within a week or so

Auto-Owners Insurance | Providing Life, Home, Car, Business Insurance

Check em out
    01-19-2011 05:10 PM
    Well, anyone suggest me where I can found the coupon code for getting the iPhone 4S skin cover. I searches for many sites but not able to get it. I want some good looking iPhone 4S skin cover to give my device a new look. Thanks

iPhone 4S skin cover
    09-06-2012 01:26 AM
    does it cover a home button replacement? i just extended for 1 more year.. im sure my i4 home button wont last that long.. its already intermittent
    09-07-2012 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD