With the verizon iphone coming in february, the normal timeline of the next iphone does not make sense anymore. I found an article that seems to be a good alternate explanation for what will happen. It says the iphone 5 will be a "pro" version and not replace the iphone 4. So this means the iphone 5 would be sold at a higher price than the iphone 4 to justify apple still being able to simultaneously sell the iphone 4 and to make all existing verizon iphone 4 customers not feel ripped off because they bought the iphone 4 a few months earlier.

Here's the article: iPhone 5 and iPad 2 Could Be 4G Pro Models

Though one thing about it that doesn't make sense about this is when newer iphone models come out, the previous models decrease in price anyway. But if the iphone 5 is more expensive than $200 contract price, it seems like less expensive android smartphones such as the bionic would suddenly be much more appealing.
    Last edited by bl4ke360; 01-18-2011 at 03:04 AM.
    01-18-2011 02:44 AM
    sounds nice, but I doubt it. many iPhone users like small screens.
    01-18-2011 03:19 AM
    it seems like less expensive android smartphones such as the bionic would suddenly be much more appealing.
    No matter how much they raised the price, android would never become more appealing to me than an iphone.
    01-18-2011 10:48 AM
    No matter how much they raised the price, android would never become more appealing to me than an iphone.
    Its all about personal preference there are always going to be those who like and stick with android and those who like and stick with IOS
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    01-18-2011 10:50 AM
    Exactly. Stock android doesn't appeal to me, but HTC sense does. iOS is nice, but its starting to fall behind a little. I mean look at some of the android options like the notifcation system or the tap and hold for more options.

I have a felling it will be 2009 all over again and we will have half baked product launches

I think people will chose what appeals to them and what is in their budget. not because it has a shinny apple logo on it and all the cool kids are using it.
    01-18-2011 01:17 PM
    like my android a lot but ever since 2.2 its been crap to me, tons of errors slow and just not for me right now. i got droid x thinking the speed would fix 2.2 on my old droid 1 but was wrong lol. i am though really liking wp7 going to be checking that out as well
    01-18-2011 01:54 PM
    With the verizon iphone coming in february, the normal timeline of the next iphone does not make sense anymore. I found an article that seems to be a good alternate explanation for what will happen. It says the iphone 5 will be a "pro" version and not replace the iphone 4. So this means the iphone 5 would be sold at a higher price than the iphone 4 to justify apple still being able to simultaneously sell the iphone 4 and to make all existing verizon iphone 4 customers not feel ripped off because they bought the iphone 4 a few months earlier.

Here's the article: iPhone 5 and iPad 2 Could Be 4G Pro Models

Though one thing about it that doesn't make sense about this is when newer iphone models come out, the previous models decrease in price anyway. But if the iphone 5 is more expensive than $200 contract price, it seems like less expensive android smartphones such as the bionic would suddenly be much more appealing.
    No 4G radios this year. Early in June Apple will announce the next iPhone. It will likely be available on all the US carriers and be $199/299 with contract and the iPhone 4 will drop to $99.

In 2012 when AT&T and Verizon are ramping up LTE and some international carriers get going it will be viable for Apple too include 4G abilities.

Is any other carrier in the world launching LTE this year besides Verizon and AT&T? I haven't seen any news about international LTE networks.
    01-18-2011 03:02 PM
    Hspa+ in the iphone5 this year almost wuthout a doubt. 4g lte in 2012 plausible but bigger screens who knows if they get rid of the home button and give me a 4 inch screen I'm all over it especially with the multitouch gestures
    01-18-2011 03:28 PM
    If they just made the screen longer without making it wider, it would change the aspect ratio and I'm guessing there will be problems with all the apps that were intended for the current aspect ratio. I think apple made the mistake of not going 16:9 in the first place but I guess it's too late for that.
    01-18-2011 03:56 PM
    like my android a lot but ever since 2.2 its been crap to me, tons of errors slow and just not for me right now. i got droid x thinking the speed would fix 2.2 on my old droid 1 but was wrong lol. i am though really liking wp7 going to be checking that out as well
    you got a lemon then. I had a problem with my EVO when i fiursr got it. I swapped it out and it works just fine now.

If they just made the screen longer without making it wider, it would change the aspect ratio and I'm guessing there will be problems with all the apps that were intended for the current aspect ratio. I think apple made the mistake of not going 16:9 in the first place but I guess it's too late for that.
    Apple has a love hate relationship with 16:9. The imacs are in 16:9 as well as the 11" macbook air. People need to get over the fact that 16:9 is not just for TVs anymore. Do you see many 4:3 screens anymore? Hell, Apple doesn't even use them on the macs anymore. Its all 16:10.

and this is what the industry is telling us, not steve jobs.
    01-18-2011 05:01 PM
    My guess is that the "iPhone 5" will be a minor upgrade from the iPhone 4 such as the iPhone 3GS to the original iPhone 3G. Of course, Apple will think of a feature to add that will make the "iPhone 5" desirable!
    01-18-2011 05:23 PM
    Yeah.

" the fastest, most powerfull iPhone yet."

Or

" the worlds thinnest smartphone yet "

- sent from Tapatalk Pro on my HTC EVO 4G
    01-18-2011 06:15 PM
    My guess is that the "iPhone 5" will be a minor upgrade from the iPhone 4 such as the iPhone 3GS to the original iPhone 3G. Of course, Apple will think of a feature to add that will make the "iPhone 5" desirable!
    I don't think Apple can afford to do that anymore, with Android phones coming out far more rapidly and adopting to new tech faster, to offer up a rewarmed iPhone 4 would be a bad idea. As far as Apple is concerned, you bought an iPhone, you're locked in it. Time to go after the new customer.
    01-18-2011 06:24 PM
    I don't think Apple can afford to do that anymore, with Android phones coming out far more rapidly and adopting to new tech faster, to offer up a rewarmed iPhone 4 would be a bad idea. As far as Apple is concerned, you bought an iPhone, you're locked in it. Time to go after the new customer.
    Believe me apple can still do that. No matter what people will still want to buy iphones so they arent going to change
    01-18-2011 06:43 PM
    Apple will find a way to do what others are doing and say that they invented it, and its the most easiest, most advanced way to do it.
    01-18-2011 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD