My place of employment recently has it setup where smartphones other than BlackBerry can receive work email.

Good news/bad news.

My problem now is for emails from a certain 'sender' I would like to try to setup specialized ringtones...that way at night when something unexpected happens to the system my phone will ring when the email hits...but not for the other 100 less important emails that also funnel to me. I dont want to wake up every 5 minutes because a new email hit.

Is there a smart app that can handle this? I didnt find options on the email settings that come with the phone so figure the only way to get this to work is if there is a specific app out there.

Thanks in advance.
    01-17-2011 10:42 AM
    I don't believe you can do this stock. Email is just one sound and one sound early. Now if you jailbreak, I am not sure. You'd have to ask someone on Team JB.
    01-17-2011 10:44 AM
    I think I found an app but not sure if its going to work exactly the way I need it to.

Mail Tones

It 3.99 in the app store.

Thanks!
    01-17-2011 10:54 AM
    I have used MailTones for my phone since I got my iPhone. It works flawlessly... but MAY pose a security threat, depending on what you need it for. It works by receiving your email message for you -- you must forward the email to their server; once they get the email that matches your configuration settings, it sends the alert back to your phone.

It's not an issue for me because the emails that I need notification for contain only an 8 digit problem ticket number that I get from the automated paging system at work. When I get that, I know where to go and what to do with that number. If, however, you are having full-blown messages sent to you that contain confidential information (that's a whole other discussion, BTW), the content of that email message is also sent, in its entirety, to the MailTones servers where it could be read by unknown persons.

Just a word of warning... and, as I said, for the right application, it's perfect and works flawlessly.
    01-17-2011 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD