? about the iPhone's GPS

drj400m

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering on the 2-3 if the iPhone's GPS chip is any good. I have a Droid Incredible and it's GPS works very well. My question is: does the iPhone's GPS work well? I use it mainly in new cities to walk and drive with (saves me from carrying another device). I would be using navigon as the GPS app as that seems to be the best option.
Does this seem plausible or should I stay with the Incredible or get a Garmin.
Jeff

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well on the iPhone, there is no app that is dedicated to GPS like you find on the droids (like google nav. Where the whole UI acts like a GPS unit from Garman or Tom Tom)

I think the real question is, are you happy with your phone. If your phone is fine, then by all means keep it and just use Google navigation. If ypou want to move to the iPhone, then I suggest looking for a true GPS app, that when the phone is mounted in your car you can touch the screen easy with large buttons, so you can focus on the road.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For best results, from some GPS enthusiasts I know who have Garmins... the app to go with on the iPhone is Navigon's -- because the bulk of the maps are stored natively on the device, rather than interactively downloaded as you go - you'll have an experience much closer to that which you're used to with a Garmin.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
For best results, from some GPS enthusiasts I know who have Garmins... the app to go with on the iPhone is Navigon's -- because the bulk of the maps are stored natively on the device, rather than interactively downloaded as you go - you'll have an experience much closer to that which you're used to with a Garmin.

Navigon is a great app, but I have recently discovered Garmin StreetPilot, and prefer it to Navigon because it takes up quite a bit less space on the phone itself and still delivers the same Results. Navigon always took ages to back up in itunes.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Navigon is a great app, but I have recently discovered Garmin StreetPilot, and prefer it to Navigon because it takes up quite a bit less space on the phone itself and still delivers the same Results. Navigon always took ages to back up in itunes.

Difference between Navigon & Garmin is maps on the phone vs download & cache. Navigon is over 1gig in size - of course that will take a while to back-up.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have nothing against Navigon, its a great app. But for as often as I use my GPS, which is little, I'd rather go with a smaller sized app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite partial to my Garmin Nuvi 765t. Won't be giving that up any time soon for general navigation use :)

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have nothing against Navigon, its a great app. But for as often as I use my GPS, which is little, I'd rather go with a smaller sized app.

Navigon always took ages to back up in itunes.

These are good points. Until I read this, I was set on getting Navigon, but I rarely use GPS navigation apps on my phone - every so often, I'll fire it up when I'm lost... I'll check out Garmin Street Pilot - sounds like you've tried both (Navigon and Garmin Street Pilot)

Question: Does Navigon use cellular data while in use? (since all maps are on the iPhone, I'm thinking it doesn't . . correct?) . . . and obviously StreetPilot uses cellular data to load maps as you're navigating??

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering on the 2-3 if the iPhone's GPS chip is any good. I have a Droid Incredible and it's GPS works very well. My question is: does the iPhone's GPS work well? I use it mainly in new cities to walk and drive with (saves me from carrying another device). I would be using navigon as the GPS app as that seems to be the best option.
Does this seem plausible or should I stay with the Incredible or get a Garmin.
Jeff

The iPhone's GPS works fine and is perfectly usable. It doesn't have a built in navigation app like a traditional GPS. The built in Google Maps app will find you routes and track your progress, it just won't tell you audible directions.

But that is what the App Store is for; there are dozens of GPS apps to choose from. Some big name and some small name.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone's GPS works fine and is perfectly usable. It doesn't have a built in navigation app like a traditional GPS. The built in Google Maps app will find you routes and track your progress, it just won't tell you audible directions.

But that is what the App Store is for; there are dozens of GPS apps to choose from. Some big name and some small name.

Which GPS apps do you recommend?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2