3GS will they still get upgrades?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The 3G still gets upgrades...so it's a pretty safe assumption that they'll stop support for that before the support stops for the 3GS.

Now are you talking features? Or just updates? I think the features are prob going to stop all together for the 3GS now for sure (as they already have for the other iPhones). And understandably so...soon there will be 2 newer generations past the 3GS, not to mention the fact that it prob wont be able to support most of the newer features within the OS updates without degradation to performance.

emscapt47

Trusted Member
Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Well i was in a apple store yesterday and i asked the folks there if the 3gs is still being made and they said yes because its a very popular phone. So i hope i did not dimp all this money into this for nothing....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you bought a previous generation iPhone AFTER the next generation has been released for over 6 months, and you expect the kind of support you would have received when it was new...of course you're going to be disappointed. The 3GS will NOT get any substantial feature updates from here on out, it's prime is long post, the iPhone 4 will see this same downward trend now too and that will follow straight through the release of the iP5.

Your logic in this seems a bit flawed just based on what you asked the Apple store employee...you asked them if the 3GS was still being made, how does that, in ANY way, reflect on the support and adding of features to the phone in the future? You bought a phone that is approaching 2 years old, and as we've discussed in other threads about macbooks and, in this case iphones...it's ancient in technology years. Is it still a great phone? Absolutely! That's why i sold my iPhone 4 and bought my 3GS and i'm totally content with it...but i'm also well aware that this phone will not be supported with any legitimate feature additions, and will simply be supported in a very basic sense from here on out...ESPECIALLY after the release of the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I heard that 4.2.1 is the last iOS update for the 3G and once the i5 is released touchhole expect the same downward trend for the 3GS and eventually the 4

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
After iOS 5 and iP5 I personally cannot see what else they can possibly do other than improvements to current flaws (like notifications and antenna)

I'm currently planning on having my iP4 as my main phone for at least 3 years now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well 3G OS updates appear to be stopping. I bet the 3GS will get iOS 5 and will stop with that

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
considering that ATT requires you to lock into a 2 yr agreement, they better continue to offer service, and upgrades for at least 2 years past the next generations release.

For example, they were still selling the 3GS last summer as the latest and greatest iphone (before the iphone 4 was released). If you bought a new iphone in May/June of 2010, you are stuck with it for another 15-18 months.

I cant imagine that Apple expects people to buy a new iphone at full retail every 12 months

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ That is a very naive line of thinking unfortunately...and does not really support the logic for long term upgrades for previous generation phones. People who bought the 3GS that close to the iP4 release KNEW they were simply impatient, how does that reflect a "necessity" for Apple to go out of their way to keep updating the previous PREVIOUS generation lol.

3GS owners should expect lack of feature additions now...and iPhone 4 owners should do the same in early 2012. That's how the tech world works boys and girls...it may not be fair, but its reality.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
3GS will likely go all the way through iOS 5. 3GS is a surprisingly capable piece of hardware. It won't get ALL the features, but it will get a few. It got the big features in iOS 4 anyway, what else can they really add after they've done multitasking.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods