I've read somewhere that you can't charge the iPhone4 while it's powered off. Is this true? Does the iPhone4 have to be powered on while charging?

I have a habit of completely turning off my phone (currently a blackberry) overnight when charging and plan to do the same with my iPhone
    01-13-2011 04:30 PM
    I've read somewhere that you can't charge the iPhone4 while it's powered off. Is this true? Does the iPhone4 have to be powered on while charging?

I have a habit of completely turning off my phone (currently a blackberry) overnight when charging and plan to do the same with my iPhone
    If it's the same version as AT&T's the answer would be no.

You can turn it off and plug the charger in and it will turn on to sleep mode and then start charging.
    01-13-2011 04:37 PM
    If it's the same version as AT&T's the answer would be no.

You can turn it off and plug the charger in and it will turn on to sleep mode and then start charging.
    What does the iPhone do (or not do) while in sleep mode? Will incoming calls, messages and emails alert the iPhone (vibrate/ring etc...) while charging in sleep mode?
    01-13-2011 04:52 PM
    What does the iPhone do (or not do) while in sleep mode? Will incoming calls, messages and emails alert the iPhone (vibrate/ring etc...) while charging in sleep mode?
    Yes, everything will still come through. Texts, emails and calls in sleep mode. It is just a setting that allows the phone to rest and use very little power to run. Most smart phones have this setting and you can change these hours but most are set from like 10pm to 5am. I think things like GPS and other extra programs not needed will turn off to save power.

If you are not wanting things to come through you can just turn the sound off so you don't hear anything or putthe device in airplane mode.
    01-13-2011 04:56 PM
    I plug my phone in first and then power it down. For a brief period of time, it shows the charge/battery picture and then nothing. It doesn't receive calls or text, no ringing/vibrating, nothing. So, I'm pretty sure its off at this point and in the morning I have to push the power button and wait for it to turn on (Apple logo, etc). So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is I think the key is to plug the phone in FIRST and then power down if you want it off while charging.
    01-13-2011 05:02 PM
    I plug my phone in first and then power it down. For a brief period of time, it shows the charge/battery picture and then nothing. It doesn't receive calls or text, no ringing/vibrating, nothing. So, I'm pretty sure its off at this point and in the morning I have to push the power button and wait for it to turn on (Apple logo, etc). So, I guess the point I'm trying to make is I think the key is to plug the phone in FIRST and then power down if you want it off while charging.
    I'll give this a try. Thanks to you both!
    Last edited by curtisinoc; 01-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    01-13-2011 05:14 PM
    I just tried that with my 3GS and I get nothing after I turn it off. I guess i just always thought it would not charge that way but never left it off long enough to find out. Oh well.....
    01-13-2011 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD