Cannot decide between iPhone and Droid Bionic

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
"..........I don't personally believe you can say one platform is smarter than another as a generalization because everyone uses them differently.

And, personally, I believe that the quantity, quality, and utility of the iPhone permits an objective judgement that it is "smarter." I commend that conclusion to those who are buying a computer for data applications.

One may very well reject that conclusion as objective and be left with only my subjective judgement. However, I have been using handheld computers since the Palm III. I submit that my judgement in the space is well formed and informed.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Another thing to is, you should really choose the carrier first, then your phone. See what they all have to offer and what your budget is.
I tend to agree, at least to the extent that "local coverage trumps everything."

That said, that really changed with the introduction of the iPhone. It is pretty much a given that AT&T has millions of subscribers who might be on other carriers were it not for their exclusive franchise on the iPhone. Said another way, lots of people chose the iPhone first and then went to the only carrier that had it.

This thread has at least one root in the fact both iPhone users and Verizon subscribers now have a choice that they have not had until now.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree, at least to the extent that "local coverage trumps everything."

That said, that really changed with the introduction of the iPhone. It is pretty much a given that AT&T has millions of subscribers who might be on other carriers were it not for their exclusive franchise on the iPhone. Said another way, lots of people chose the iPhone first and then went to the only carrier that had it.

This thread has at least one root in the fact both iPhone users and Verizon subscribers now have a choice that they have not had until now.

and choice is good. Now Apple needs to get it on board with the other two top dogs here in the US and it will be set.

Back in 2006/2007 before the ATT and Cingular merger I believe Cingular was the top provider at the time.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
........Back in 2006/2007 before the ATT and Cingular merger I believe Cingular was the top provider at the time.

True. However, AT&T Wireless was the only 3G provider. They were a couple of markets and expanding. Then they were acquired by Cingular and things went down hill from there. 3G expansion stalled. The two enterprises are still not fully integrated. Systems are still isolated by markets. Many locations still do not have 3G. New York and SFO, nominally 3G, still do not have enough capacity for data applications.

Verizon dominates in coverage, capacity, technology (4G) and customer satisfaction.

Sprint, with the technology lead, faltered over customer service and satisfaction.

Cingular did not manage the merger well.

crazy4cell

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
why not buy both and test side by side and return the one you like the least before the 14 day return policy is up!

my question is this how long will the battery last in that power house called bionic?

hapkiman

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes- it would prob come down to $ for me. From what I understand too, the Gingerbread OS will be pretty dang smooth, and may fix that "clunky" or "buggy" feeling that most Droids seem to have (just my opinion I know).

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
And, personally, I believe that the quantity, quality, and utility of the iPhone permits an objective judgement that it is "smarter." I commend that conclusion to those who are buying a computer for data applications.

One may very well reject that conclusion as objective and be left with only my subjective judgement. However, I have been using handheld computers since the Palm III. I submit that my judgement in the space is well formed and informed.

I understand what you're saying but it's still YOUR opinion. We're not getting anywhere though, so let's just agree to disagree here. :)

why not buy both and test side by side and return the one you like the least before the 14 day return policy is up!

my question is this how long will the battery last in that power house called bionic?

Good idea. And if you can't afford to buy both, you could always charge them to your account so that once you return it, you won't ever have to pay for it, but you will have to pay a restocking fee if it's a Verizon store (I read that Apple stores are doing away with restocking fees).

Yes- it would prob come down to $ for me. From what I understand too, the Gingerbread OS will be pretty dang smooth, and may fix that "clunky" or "buggy" feeling that most Droids seem to have (just my opinion I know).

They said that about Froyo as well, and while it did improve the "flow" of everything a little bit, it's still nothing like an iPhone. Even my old iPhone 3G is way smoother than my current-gen Droid 2, which was the first Android phone to launch with Froyo. Android needs to be a bit more polished before it can come close to being as smooth as an iPhone. And from the videos I've seen of the Bionic (which were presumably pre-production models), it's no smoother than my Droid 2.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

That wont work on a single line, unless you add a line, or pay full retail for at least one phone. Not worth the hassle.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I have considered this a bit myself. I had the very first Droid and personally, I cannot stand the generic menu layout of Android, the laggy and jittery scrolling, and the lockups and random shutdowns of it either. Sure the widgets are handy but I didn't buy the phone for fancy icons, once you get past those fancy it's still the same generic menus and laggy OS. Besides, LTE probably won't be in my area for a while and I'm hoping Apple has an LTE iphone in my hands before LTE is in my area. IMO, get the iphone and save yourself the buyers remorse.