Cannot decide between iPhone and Droid Bionic

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ordinarily this would be a hard choice for me as well between these 2 phones and even add in the mix the new HTC Thunderbolt(That is whatthe new Incredible is being called now) but I have been waiting for an iphone for some time and have even gone as far as spent alot of time on itunes in the app store choosing some very good productivity apps to make my phone first and foremost a good business phone(All the naysayers say that you can't do this like a BB) but trust me I have found plenty of good apps and then the last I would say 25-30% of the phone will be apps that I can enjoy even at work but mainly outside of work and believe me none will consist of games(OK maybe one or two... :) but anyway that is my game plan.

goathog02

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I am the same way going to pay full retail I have another line due for an upgrade in july so if anything comes out then I can upgrade but I think the iphone will hold me over for atleast a year

You realize that it is cheaper to add an iPhone as another line (on a family plan) and activate the phone on your line, then it is to pay full price?

Reactions: rich13er

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking the Droid Bionic looks really good on paper but that's as far as it goes. It still will have motorola's half-baked motoblur and will be running probably 2 android versions behind at launch the rate google is going with updates lately. iPhone 4 may be outdated as far as most cell phone's now are concerned but it's not just any smartphone and will last years longer than the Droid Bionic will 4G or not.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wont trust anything my motorolla. I had an i9 flip phone (really nice. Glossy smoke color, mocked the Razr in terms of design. High res screen) it was a nice phone till the battery gave me issues. It got hot and started to smoke. I could see some orange glowing from the phone so I threw it down on the floor to eject the battery since it was too hot to touch. I conteacted Boost mobile, they won't help me, and I contracted motrolla and they gave me some BS responce. I just went and got a cheep $29.99 phone from Radio shack before getting the BB 8330 a week later and then the EVO three months later in November.

so iPhone > Bionic

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat- Droid user looking for another phone.

I'm gonna leave the Android OS for now
-I love the Android OS features and the google apps (way better than the iOS versions). But I love the selection of 3rd party apps even more. Android has improved, but not quickly enough. Maybe in another yr or two Android will have caught up

-I like CDMA. LTE is not fully deployed yet and it's gonna cost more. Not a good value yet for me. I'm sticking with CDMA. Unless Verizon is too cocky and they run into problems on their CDMA network. I can't think of an Android phone running on CDMA that is coming out in the first 1/2 of the year. It's like they all switched to LTE.

-Personally, I still like the iOS/iPhone platform. Don't get me wrong, Android is a good platform as well, but it's a personal preference.

jharo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat- Droid user looking for another phone.

I'm gonna leave the Android OS for now
-I love the Android OS features and the google apps (way better than the iOS versions). But I love the selection of 3rd party apps even more. Android has improved, but not quickly enough. Maybe in another yr or two Android will have caught up

-I like CDMA. LTE is not fully deployed yet and it's gonna cost more. Not a good value yet for me. I'm sticking with CDMA. Unless Verizon is too cocky and they run into problems on their CDMA network. I can't think of an Android phone running on CDMA that is coming out in the first 1/2 of the year. It's like they all switched to LTE.

-Personally, I still like the iOS/iPhone platform. Don't get me wrong, Android is a good platform as well, but it's a personal preference.

HTC Thunderbolt

varucell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I personally will be waiting for the iphone. I was going to jump on it right away, but I know how I am. I will need the latest and greatest and with the Iphone 5 looming I just cant in good conscience.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If you are worried about a newer phone coming out ... don't ever upgrade your phone. New phones are ALWAYS coming out.

ganthonyv

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
After Motos CES announcements I was stoked about the Bionic but after the iPhone was announced on VZW I am gonna go with the iPhone.

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you are worried about a newer phone coming out ... don't ever upgrade your phone. New phones are ALWAYS coming out.

good call, just buy a phone that you like and Apple makes it really easy because you're guaranteed support for several years whereas with Android, you may or not have support for a couple months.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
good call, just buy a phone that you like and Apple makes it really easy because you're guaranteed support for several years whereas with Android, you may or not have support for a couple months.

That is a great point. A lot of Android phones get cut off and don't receive the latest OS update..

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
but isn it running iOs 4 to its full potential? By that I mean, run everything the iPhone 4 can or is it missing some features?

The Android headsets that are still running 1.6 or 2.1 are just like the iPhone or iPhone 3G, older devices that can not support the new OS. As for 2.2, while 2.3 is the current, 2.2 runs just fine for most. Think of it as a 4.0 - 4.1 of iOS. Upgrade only if you want since its only a minor realse.

There are ways to get the latest 2.3, you just need to root (or what iPhone users call Jailbreak) the phone amd install a custom rom.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
but isn it running iOs 4 to its full potential? By that I mean, run everything the iPhone 4 can or is it missing some features?

The Android headsets that are still running 1.6 or 2.1 are just like the iPhone or iPhone 3G, older devices that can not support the new OS. As for 2.2, while 2.3 is the current, 2.2 runs just fine for most. Think of it as a 4.0 - 4.1 of iOS. Upgrade only if you want since its only a minor realse.

There are ways to get the latest 2.3, you just need to root (or what iPhone users call Jailbreak) the phone amd install a custom rom.

It might not use all the features, but apple let the 3GS have the os anyway. no JB needed. I had the Fascinate and it was a crime that it took so long for it to get Froyo, and from what I hear it's a bad update.

What grinds me the most about android is that when google releases an OS update, you have to await for your handset manufacturer to update "their version" of the update. It's like dealing with a update middle man.

When Apple releases an update.... Bam! Everyone gets it.... No waiting.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes .... because there are many different manufacturers on Android, just because an OS update releases doesn't mean every phone will get it at the same time. Apple makes all their phones, and basically they all get the update at the same time if they will ever get it.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
and just because there is an update does not mean you have to run out and get it.

and yes, there is a wait. You can't download and install the update over the air. You have to be at a computer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR