Cannot decide between iPhone and Droid Bionic

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
and just because there is an update does not mean you have to run out and get it.

and yes, there is a wait. You can't download and install the update over the air. You have to be at a computer.

ah, but everyone wants the latest update. I prefer a "tethered" update as opposed to ota. Going through OTA's on my Droid was always a pain because there's always a chance that something would screw up and since there isn't a way to completely backup and restore an android phone without rooting it's not fun. iTunes makes that a piece of cake for every type of user.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ah, but everyone wants the latest update.

Expect if you are jailbroken then you would want to stick with the current one till the latest one is jailbroken.

one good thing about the android phones is since you are syncec with google, all you have tpo do is enter your information and bam! everything will be brought back. now you may have to redownload some apps and such, but on android there arn't that many apps that are worth using out there.

My main point is, its 2011, and Apple is still using a 3 foot cable to do the syncing. I own an iPad as well and its sometimes a pain having to hook everything up where i could just click a few buttons in itunes and it will be updated on my ipad right away from the cloud.

titansjonne#WN

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What i realize about apple that i didn't think about before, is that apple doesn't immediately try something because it is common. They wait until they can refine it, make it great. Like their camera, it took them a while to release it, but now that it's out, it's the best one out there. And this is coming from a droid user with an 8mp camera with dual led flash.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's still a camera phone regardless. The photos are not that great.

Sure my D7000 takes better, but as a photography enthusiast, I would say that the iPhone's camera is the best I have seen and like any camera, when in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, one can take some really nice and compiling captures.

Through the Lens of an iPhone - a set on Flickr

BTW.... These photos are not mine.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
well with the Droid Bionic you'll be getting new hardware. I think you should hold off until June. Buy a phone that runs android from craigslist or ebay so you can hold off until June. It is if you have been on Verizon for awhile.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
well with the Droid Bionic you'll be getting new hardware. I think you should hold off until June. Buy a phone that runs android from craigslist or ebay so you can hold off until June. It is if you have been on Verizon for awhile.

Im just going to pay full retail for the iphone since i have an upgrade in july and then if anything comes out then that I like I will get it otherwise I will stick with the iphone for awhile which is what im probably going to do anyway

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The only android phones that I've seen that hold a candle to the iPhone as far as camera quality are the xperia x10 and arc. The camera on the iPhone 4 is great for a camera phone. I'm probably going to pick up the bionic if I don't like the bionic it will go back and ill wait for the iPhone 5. For me updates and carriers putting useless crap in our phones makes me mad like the whole fascinate issue with mounting its sdcard with Mac. Because Verizon added crap that didn't fully work. If they continue I wont pick up the bionic ill just get the iPhone 5

dorthensensens

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Specs are great. i love to look at specs. I come from a linux background and have customized linux installs up the wazoo but the longer i deal with tech, the more i want a nice seamless, integrated experience. time and again, for me, it's less about specs (although i'm not saying get crappy hardware) and more about the software. and lately moreso it's more about the ease of using a nice integrated experience quickly rather than customizing at nauseum until i get what i want. that's why i like apple iOS devices. Apple MacOS X is a whole other animal in which I can say I hate to use.

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am dumping my Droid X for the iPhone. This is just my opinion as I have had a Droid X a Droid and an iPhone on A t &T. I loved the iPhone 4 but the carrier was a nightmare. Have had original droid and X on Verizon the service side has been great but the phones itself are sub par compared to iPhone. The smoothness of the os , the apps available to it, it's just a good user experience. The droids I don't know how many times I wanted to throw it out a window. Some text messages never went thru, or never got, the phone itself froze or took a long time to respond just horrible and I can't wait to dump my X for the iPhone but that is just my experience everyone else has their own experience and opinion that's why I come the this forum to see what they go thru as well

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The 3GS was released in July of 2008 and is running the most current iOS... how many Android handsets released then are running 2.1 let alone 2.2?

Just sayin..... :)

Actually, it was released in June of 2009.

Your point still stands, but the date is incorrect.

Iphone because of the integeration wiht so many other devices.

That's why I love Apple products as well, everything works together so seamlessly.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As far as deciding between the iPhone and the Bionic, my personal solution is to buy both. That is, of course, as long as the Bionic pans out to be as awesome as it seems to be; but you know they show phones in only the absolute best light at those trade shows. If I absolutely had to choose between the two and I couldn't have both, then I'd pick the iPhone. The software is so smooth and it's so tightly tied into Apple ecosystem, and while I understand that may be a disadvantage to others, it's definitely an advantage in my book because I'm already a Mac user. Another plus, being a photography person, is the camera. I know it's not going to take pictures like my digital camera does, but it takes some pretty incredible shots (for a camera phone) and can definitely take the place of a point and shoot. Also, the plethora of accessories and apps available for the iPhone supersedes the selection available for any other phone, and I love the variety.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As far as deciding between the iPhone and the Bionic, my personal solution is to buy both. That is, of course, as long as the Bionic pans out to be as awesome as it seems to be; but you know they show phones in only the absolute best light at those trade shows. If I absolutely had to choose between the two and I couldn't have both, then I'd pick the iPhone. The software is so smooth and it's so tightly tied into Apple ecosystem, and while I understand that may be a disadvantage to others, it's definitely an advantage in my book because I'm already a Mac user. Another plus, being a photography person, is the camera. I know it's not going to take pictures like my digital camera does, but it takes some pretty incredible shots (for a camera phone) and can definitely take the place of a point and shoot. Also, the plethora of accessories and apps available for the iPhone supersedes the selection available for any other phone, and I love the variety.
Focus on "smart" rather than "phone" and the choice is easier. Smart is at least partly a measure of the quantity an quality of the available software. Each new iPhone inherits the hundreds of thousands of apps.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Focus on "smart" rather than "phone" and the choice is easier. Smart is at least partly a measure of the quantity an quality of the available software. Each new iPhone inherits the hundreds of thousands of apps.

I think "smart" is completely dependent on how one uses his/her phone. For some, the Bionic might be a smarter choice. For me though, I know it's the iPhone. But don't be so quick to think you know what's best for everyone else's needs. Not everyone has the same wants or needs in a phone.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think "smart" is completely dependent on how one uses his/her phone. For some, the Bionic might be a smarter choice. For me though, I know it's the iPhone. But don't be so quick to think you know what's best for everyone else's needs. Not everyone has the same wants or needs in a phone.

Perhaps you inferred something that I did not intend. I did not intend "smart" as a modifier of one's choice but as a property of the device.

I am not a dunce. I understand "horses for courses.". I was not arguing that everyone should choose the iPhone because it is smarter but simply that if smart were one's criteria, the iPhone seems to me to have an insuperable advantage.

I concede that if one thinks that one is buying/wants a phone, then the Motorola is on the list, However, if one wants a computer on which one can make phone calls, then the Motorola is not even comparable.

I did not buy my iPhone because it was a better phone than my Treo or because AT&T was a better carrier than T-Mobile but because the iPhone is a better computer. To ME that it also does SMS and voice is incidental to the tens of other data applications that I use it for.

Said another way, to ME an iPhone is simply an iPad that's small enough to fit in my pocket. For MY application no Motorola phone is likely to ever make my list.

However, it is patronizing, not to say offensive, to suggest that I believe that my criteria or choices are superior to those of others. I was only trying to suggest one difference. I thought that was one purpose of the thread.

Last edited:

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you inferred something that I did not intend. I did not intend "smart" as a modifier of one's choice but as a property of the device.

I am not a dunce. I understand "horses for courses.". I was not arguing that everyone should choose the iPhone because it is smarter but simply that if smart were one's criteria, the iPhone seems to me to have an insuperable advantage.

I concede that if one thinks that one is buying/wants a phone, then the Motorola is on the list, However, if one wants a computer on which one can make phone calls, then the Motorola is not even comparable.

I did not buy my iPhone because it was a better phone than my Treo or because AT&T was a better carrier than T-Mobile but because the iPhone is a better computer. To ME that it also does SMS and voice is incidental to the tens of other data applications that I use it for.

Said another way, to ME an iPhone is simply an iPad that's small enough to fit in my pocket. For MY application no Motorola phone is likely to ever make my list.

However, it is patronizing, not to say offensive, to suggest that I believe that my criteria or choices are superior to those of others. I was only trying to suggest one difference. I thought that was one purpose of the thread.

I apologize if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. Of course the purpose of thread is to compare and contrast the differences, which I too am trying to do. I just disagree that the iPhone is the clear leader when one considers a phone's artificial intelligence. I think intelligence, especially artificial, is subjective and therefore there is no clear-cut winner, I believe it all depends on a person's wants and needs. The iPhone is the smarter phone for us because we're more efficient with it, but not everyone operates the way we do. One person might consider the fashion in which the Droid Bionic and Android work to be smarter because they are personally more efficient with them. See my point? All I'm saying is that everyone is different and I don't personally believe you can say one platform is smarter than another as a generalization because everyone uses them differently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro