As far as deciding between the iPhone and the Bionic, my personal solution is to buy both. That is, of course, as long as the Bionic pans out to be as awesome as it seems to be; but you know they show phones in only the absolute best light at those trade shows. If I absolutely had to choose between the two and I couldn't have both, then I'd pick the iPhone. The software is so smooth and it's so tightly tied into Apple ecosystem, and while I understand that may be a disadvantage to others, it's definitely an advantage in my book because I'm already a Mac user. Another plus, being a photography person, is the camera. I know it's not going to take pictures like my digital camera does, but it takes some pretty incredible shots (for a camera phone) and can definitely take the place of a point and shoot. Also, the plethora of accessories and apps available for the iPhone supersedes the selection available for any other phone, and I love the variety.
    01-21-2011 09:03 PM
    As far as deciding between the iPhone and the Bionic, my personal solution is to buy both. That is, of course, as long as the Bionic pans out to be as awesome as it seems to be; but you know they show phones in only the absolute best light at those trade shows. If I absolutely had to choose between the two and I couldn't have both, then I'd pick the iPhone. The software is so smooth and it's so tightly tied into Apple ecosystem, and while I understand that may be a disadvantage to others, it's definitely an advantage in my book because I'm already a Mac user. Another plus, being a photography person, is the camera. I know it's not going to take pictures like my digital camera does, but it takes some pretty incredible shots (for a camera phone) and can definitely take the place of a point and shoot. Also, the plethora of accessories and apps available for the iPhone supersedes the selection available for any other phone, and I love the variety.
    Focus on "smart" rather than "phone" and the choice is easier. Smart is at least partly a measure of the quantity an quality of the available software. Each new iPhone inherits the hundreds of thousands of apps.
    01-22-2011 10:38 AM
    Focus on "smart" rather than "phone" and the choice is easier. Smart is at least partly a measure of the quantity an quality of the available software. Each new iPhone inherits the hundreds of thousands of apps.
    I think "smart" is completely dependent on how one uses his/her phone. For some, the Bionic might be a smarter choice. For me though, I know it's the iPhone. But don't be so quick to think you know what's best for everyone else's needs. Not everyone has the same wants or needs in a phone.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    01-22-2011 11:12 AM
    I think "smart" is completely dependent on how one uses his/her phone. For some, the Bionic might be a smarter choice. For me though, I know it's the iPhone. But don't be so quick to think you know what's best for everyone else's needs. Not everyone has the same wants or needs in a phone.
    Perhaps you inferred something that I did not intend. I did not intend "smart" as a modifier of one's choice but as a property of the device.

I am not a dunce. I understand "horses for courses.". I was not arguing that everyone should choose the iPhone because it is smarter but simply that if smart were one's criteria, the iPhone seems to me to have an insuperable advantage.

I concede that if one thinks that one is buying/wants a phone, then the Motorola is on the list, However, if one wants a computer on which one can make phone calls, then the Motorola is not even comparable.

I did not buy my iPhone because it was a better phone than my Treo or because AT&T was a better carrier than T-Mobile but because the iPhone is a better computer. To ME that it also does SMS and voice is incidental to the tens of other data applications that I use it for.

Said another way, to ME an iPhone is simply an iPad that's small enough to fit in my pocket. For MY application no Motorola phone is likely to ever make my list.

However, it is patronizing, not to say offensive, to suggest that I believe that my criteria or choices are superior to those of others. I was only trying to suggest one difference. I thought that was one purpose of the thread.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01-22-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    01-22-2011 11:41 AM
    Perhaps you inferred something that I did not intend. I did not intend "smart" as a modifier of one's choice but as a property of the device.

I am not a dunce. I understand "horses for courses.". I was not arguing that everyone should choose the iPhone because it is smarter but simply that if smart were one's criteria, the iPhone seems to me to have an insuperable advantage.

I concede that if one thinks that one is buying/wants a phone, then the Motorola is on the list, However, if one wants a computer on which one can make phone calls, then the Motorola is not even comparable.

I did not buy my iPhone because it was a better phone than my Treo or because AT&T was a better carrier than T-Mobile but because the iPhone is a better computer. To ME that it also does SMS and voice is incidental to the tens of other data applications that I use it for.

Said another way, to ME an iPhone is simply an iPad that's small enough to fit in my pocket. For MY application no Motorola phone is likely to ever make my list.

However, it is patronizing, not to say offensive, to suggest that I believe that my criteria or choices are superior to those of others. I was only trying to suggest one difference. I thought that was one purpose of the thread.
    I apologize if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. Of course the purpose of thread is to compare and contrast the differences, which I too am trying to do. I just disagree that the iPhone is the clear leader when one considers a phone's artificial intelligence. I think intelligence, especially artificial, is subjective and therefore there is no clear-cut winner, I believe it all depends on a person's wants and needs. The iPhone is the smarter phone for us because we're more efficient with it, but not everyone operates the way we do. One person might consider the fashion in which the Droid Bionic and Android work to be smarter because they are personally more efficient with them. See my point? All I'm saying is that everyone is different and I don't personally believe you can say one platform is smarter than another as a generalization because everyone uses them differently.
    01-22-2011 12:34 PM
    Another thing to is, you should really choose the carrier first, then your phone. See what they all have to offer and what your budget is.
    01-22-2011 01:03 PM
    Another thing to is, you should really choose the carrier first, then your phone. See what they all have to offer and what your budget is.
    Umm..this thread is about choosing from two smartphones on Verizon.
    01-22-2011 01:45 PM
    Umm..this thread is about choosing from two smartphones on Verizon.
    ummmm if you READ the posts before mine you will understand what I was talking about.
    01-22-2011 02:37 PM
    "..........I don't personally believe you can say one platform is smarter than another as a generalization because everyone uses them differently.
    And, personally, I believe that the quantity, quality, and utility of the iPhone permits an objective judgement that it is "smarter." I commend that conclusion to those who are buying a computer for data applications.

One may very well reject that conclusion as objective and be left with only my subjective judgement. However, I have been using handheld computers since the Palm III. I submit that my judgement in the space is well formed and informed.
    01-22-2011 03:23 PM
    I tend to agree, at least to the extent that "local coverage trumps everything."

That said, that really changed with the introduction of the iPhone. It is pretty much a given that AT&T has millions of subscribers who might be on other carriers were it not for their exclusive franchise on the iPhone. Said another way, lots of people chose the iPhone first and then went to the only carrier that had it.

This thread has at least one root in the fact both iPhone users and Verizon subscribers now have a choice that they have not had until now.
    01-22-2011 03:38 PM
    I tend to agree, at least to the extent that "local coverage trumps everything."

That said, that really changed with the introduction of the iPhone. It is pretty much a given that AT&T has millions of subscribers who might be on other carriers were it not for their exclusive franchise on the iPhone. Said another way, lots of people chose the iPhone first and then went to the only carrier that had it.

This thread has at least one root in the fact both iPhone users and Verizon subscribers now have a choice that they have not had until now.
    and choice is good. Now Apple needs to get it on board with the other two top dogs here in the US and it will be set.

Back in 2006/2007 before the ATT and Cingular merger I believe Cingular was the top provider at the time.
    01-22-2011 04:04 PM
    ........Back in 2006/2007 before the ATT and Cingular merger I believe Cingular was the top provider at the time.
    True. However, AT&T Wireless was the only 3G provider. They were a couple of markets and expanding. Then they were acquired by Cingular and things went down hill from there. 3G expansion stalled. The two enterprises are still not fully integrated. Systems are still isolated by markets. Many locations still do not have 3G. New York and SFO, nominally 3G, still do not have enough capacity for data applications.

Verizon dominates in coverage, capacity, technology (4G) and customer satisfaction.

Sprint, with the technology lead, faltered over customer service and satisfaction.

Cingular did not manage the merger well.
    01-22-2011 06:00 PM
    why not buy both and test side by side and return the one you like the least before the 14 day return policy is up!

my question is this how long will the battery last in that power house called bionic?
    01-22-2011 07:07 PM
    Yes- it would prob come down to $ for me. From what I understand too, the Gingerbread OS will be pretty dang smooth, and may fix that "clunky" or "buggy" feeling that most Droids seem to have (just my opinion I know).
    01-22-2011 07:58 PM
    And, personally, I believe that the quantity, quality, and utility of the iPhone permits an objective judgement that it is "smarter." I commend that conclusion to those who are buying a computer for data applications.

One may very well reject that conclusion as objective and be left with only my subjective judgement. However, I have been using handheld computers since the Palm III. I submit that my judgement in the space is well formed and informed.
    I understand what you're saying but it's still YOUR opinion. We're not getting anywhere though, so let's just agree to disagree here.

why not buy both and test side by side and return the one you like the least before the 14 day return policy is up!

my question is this how long will the battery last in that power house called bionic?
    Good idea. And if you can't afford to buy both, you could always charge them to your account so that once you return it, you won't ever have to pay for it, but you will have to pay a restocking fee if it's a Verizon store (I read that Apple stores are doing away with restocking fees).

Yes- it would prob come down to $ for me. From what I understand too, the Gingerbread OS will be pretty dang smooth, and may fix that "clunky" or "buggy" feeling that most Droids seem to have (just my opinion I know).
    They said that about Froyo as well, and while it did improve the "flow" of everything a little bit, it's still nothing like an iPhone. Even my old iPhone 3G is way smoother than my current-gen Droid 2, which was the first Android phone to launch with Froyo. Android needs to be a bit more polished before it can come close to being as smooth as an iPhone. And from the videos I've seen of the Bionic (which were presumably pre-production models), it's no smoother than my Droid 2.
    01-22-2011 08:22 PM

That wont work on a single line, unless you add a line, or pay full retail for at least one phone. Not worth the hassle.
    01-22-2011 09:05 PM
    Honestly, I have considered this a bit myself. I had the very first Droid and personally, I cannot stand the generic menu layout of Android, the laggy and jittery scrolling, and the lockups and random shutdowns of it either. Sure the widgets are handy but I didn't buy the phone for fancy icons, once you get past those fancy it's still the same generic menus and laggy OS. Besides, LTE probably won't be in my area for a while and I'm hoping Apple has an LTE iphone in my hands before LTE is in my area. IMO, get the iphone and save yourself the buyers remorse.
    01-22-2011 09:12 PM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD