People ask if they should stay or should they go? Biggest thing you may want to consider is upgrades and how often. I have a family plan with At&t and I get upgrades every 12 months. Usually just the mail line gets the upgrade every 12 months. I upgraded to the iPhone 4 on release day of 06/24/10 and my next upgrade is 06/16/11. You can check your upgrade status by calling from your At&t iPhone *639# and you should get a reply with a few seconds.

Verizon just changed full upgrades to every 20 months. No thanks Big Red
    01-12-2011 02:35 PM
    good point with the upgrade analogy

i'm not going anywhere. i have awesome coverage where i live, unlimited data plan and my monthly bill is not too terrible

plus i'm anxious to see what at&t is going to do with any type of pricing wars
    01-12-2011 02:52 PM
    Yes my coverage is fine with Att plus I do have unlimited data as well
    01-12-2011 02:54 PM
    Same here. However I have no plans to update to the new model this summer. I will give my business to who I feel is the better option in 2012. LTE will be key for me by then.
    01-12-2011 03:32 PM
    Same here, and I don't have major issues with the coverage here either, have unlimited data too.. and I hate big red lol
    01-12-2011 03:33 PM
    not to mention my data speeds rule lol
    01-12-2011 03:34 PM
    I'm thinking the same way.. Sticking with AT&T because I know I like to upgrade as often as possible
    01-12-2011 03:42 PM
    Yep, same here. I have unlimited & can upgrade easily. I've never had any trouble from AT&T.
    01-12-2011 03:50 PM
    good point with the upgrade analogy

i'm not going anywhere. i have awesome coverage where i live, unlimited data plan and my monthly bill is not too terrible

plus i'm anxious to see what at&t is going to do with any type of pricing wars
    I suspect that the carriers' agreements with Apple preclude any price competition.
    01-12-2011 03:57 PM
    I suspect that the carriers' agreements with Apple preclude any price competition.
    Which stinks if true because I'd love to benefit from staying with AT&T by having a cheaper bill!
    01-12-2011 04:00 PM
    I have great coverage with at&t and im one of the lucky ones that got to keep my unlimited data.
    01-12-2011 04:15 PM
    I think there is only an agreement on the cost of the phones and/or data plans maybe... other than that, I think the carriers have the right to do whatever they'd want with data plans... watch VZW cap their plans now too ... bet it's why they aren't announcing anything yet... lol don't wanna let the cat out of the bag lol
    01-12-2011 04:41 PM
    Voice & Data Plans are subject to carrier only. Phone price points are up to Apple. Whatever V & AT&T decide to discount it by you signing a contract is up to them as well.
    01-12-2011 05:38 PM
    There are ATT customers with very valid reasons on switching, but for those who want to stay then it's pretty easy to justify keeping ATT.

1) Verizon competing on ATT's iPhone "turf" will force ATT to finally wake up and compete both in Customer Service and in addressing trouble cities

2) IF there's a migration out of ATT then it's worth sticking around to see if less traffic = better signal

3) Rollover minutes!!!

4) Shorter upgrade wait. 12mo vs 20mo is a big big deal if you want to be cutting edge

5) Verizon is going to get hammered. They claim to be ready and probably are well tested with so many Android phones out there already. BUT, you never know how Apple will affect the system. So at the least then it would be smart to wait and see

Personally, I'm on Sprint and passed on the ATT iphones because out in my cities ATT is unusable so I'm pretty excited for a non-ATT carrier. But I just don't have the Verizon optimism that is going around the Internet. So if I was smart then I'd wait until June to make my decision (but I'm not and I'm diving in Feb 10)
    01-12-2011 05:57 PM
    Voice & Data Plans are subject to carrier only. Phone price points are up to Apple. Whatever V & AT&T decide to discount it by you signing a contract is up to them as well.
    Very clear that AT&T relies in part upon Apple software to enforce its data use restrictions. That is in part why people jailbreak.
    01-13-2011 08:32 AM
    I wont be leaving AT&T, i have an amazing amount of minutes, i wont save any money going with Verizon and the phones will be the same price from both carriers soooo...not to mention the fact that i believe SIM based phones will be easier to sell globally than CDMA phones, atleast for a while anyways (like they have been for a while).
    01-13-2011 09:29 AM
    There are ATT customers with very valid reasons on switching, but for those who want to stay then it's pretty easy to justify keeping ATT.

1) Verizon competing on ATT's iPhone "turf" will force ATT to finally wake up and compete both in Customer Service and in addressing trouble cities

2) IF there's a migration out of ATT then it's worth sticking around to see if less traffic = better signal

3) Rollover minutes!!!

4) Shorter upgrade wait. 12mo vs 20mo is a big big deal if you want to be cutting edge

5) Verizon is going to get hammered. They claim to be ready and probably are well tested with so many Android phones out there already. BUT, you never know how Apple will affect the system. So at the least then it would be smart to wait and see

Personally, I'm on Sprint and passed on the ATT iphones because out in my cities ATT is unusable so I'm pretty excited for a non-ATT carrier. But I just don't have the Verizon optimism that is going around the Internet. So if I was smart then I'd wait until June to make my decision (but I'm not and I'm diving in Feb 10)

ATT's customer service I've never had any issues with at all, vzw's on the other hand, we won't go there lol

and rollover minutes ? that's an awesome thing, nothing like getting by with the cheapest plan available for minutes and watching your call usage for the first month or two... and now I have more rollover minutes than my voice plan every month lol so now it's... no worries at at lol

and their 3G data speeds rule lol
    01-13-2011 11:56 AM
    @whmurray

Only through carrier settings which are easily altered by anyone that carries the iPhone.
    01-13-2011 01:15 PM
    I'm staying with AT&T. I've never had any real problems with coverage, especially since my hometown now has 3G coverage and so does the city where I live for college. Verizon is cool and all, but they don't offer 3G in my college town where I am most of the year. And, I'm in a new two-year contract with AT&T that just started in September. Needless to say, I'm staying put.
    01-13-2011 02:07 PM
    If AT&T wants to minimize the amount of customers they lose then they need to lower their prices. Money is everything to college students like myself.

But after the comments De La Vega said about being "so much more than the iPhone" - it doesn't seem like this will be happening at all/like they feel like it would be necessary.
    Last edited by jhamilton3; 01-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    01-13-2011 02:17 PM
    I have been with Cingular/ATT for a long time. I don't see myself leaving them because Verizon got the iphone as well. As someone stated, ROLLOVER!!!!!
    01-13-2011 02:20 PM
    If AT&T wants to minimize the amount of customers they lose then they need to lower their prices. Money is everything to college students like myself.
    And all this time I thought it was sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

In any case, you are not a "customer" to AT&T, you are either a "texter" on whom they make a lot of money, or you are a "data hog."
    01-13-2011 02:24 PM
    And all this time I thought it was sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

In any case, you are not a "customer" to AT&T, you are either a "texter" on whom they make a lot of money, or you are a "data hog."
    Haha, all that plus Apple products... And yes you are quite right.
    01-13-2011 02:26 PM
    I have been with Cingular/ATT for a long time. I don't see myself leaving them because Verizon got the iphone as well. As someone stated, ROLLOVER!!!!!
    And have unlimited data, probably do not tether. Newer users have less "loyalty."
    mikesa_tx likes this.
    01-13-2011 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD