I'm going to keep a running blog on my thoughts about switching from Android to iOS on Verizon. If it gives anyone any insight or helps anyone decide which OS is better for them, that's my purpose. You can check it out at Durango Jim's Android/iPhone Blog: Waiting for iPhone

I'm not a fanboy for either system, just someone who wants something that works for me.
    01-12-2011 10:59 AM
    Im in the same boat so would like to see what people have to offer
    01-12-2011 11:31 AM
    I am also in this boat.

I got a Droid Eris day one. Picked it over the droid 1. This has been a powerhouse in the custom rom department. My eris is running 2.2 and 2.3 is on the way via XDA. But the issue for me is apps and fragmentation.

Android is always behind iOS for the latest apps. It sucks.

I want Epic Win, i want cut the rope, i want hulu.....and so on and so on....

so the choice is easy for me. I go where i can get the best apps, and this is the iPhone.
    01-12-2011 01:34 PM
    Thanks for the link... I love android, but i hate it at the same time... after using my iPad since release day, I can see some things i like more about Android/iOS, but currently iOS is better suited for me...
    01-12-2011 05:29 PM
    all i really care about is the fragmentation. thats where android lacks where as ios every phone gets the updates unlike android where only certain phones get the updates and can wait months to get the updates once one phone has it
    01-12-2011 05:40 PM
    all i really care about is the fragmentation. thats where android lacks where as ios every phone gets the updates unlike android where only certain phones get the updates and can wait months to get the updates once one phone has it
    +1

Apple may not be on as fast of an upgrade schedule as Google (I mean crap, right now Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and now Ice Cream Sandwich are all on a collision course and will be out soon), but my Samsung Fascinate is yet to see Froyo (2.2) and there's no definite date for that.

I like knowing when Apple releases an update, EVERY current iPhone can download it (I say current, excluding the older models they no longer support).
    01-12-2011 08:49 PM
    +1

Apple may not be on as fast of an upgrade schedule as Google (I mean crap, right now Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and now Ice Cream Sandwich are all on a collision course and will be out soon), but my Samsung Fascinate is yet to see Froyo (2.2) and there's no definite date for that.

I like knowing when Apple releases an update, EVERY current iPhone can download it (I say current, excluding the older models they no longer support).
    I agree now if android was the same way then it would be different but that wont happen since the manufactures like to put their skins on the phones which causes an ever increasing delay. Atleast once an update is out you can download it dont need to wait
    01-12-2011 09:23 PM
    iOs 5 will be the deal breaker. Sure I love the large screen, but there are many things in android that are not in iOs like improved notification system, widgets (that I use daily) full blown google search with voice command. (meaning you can search for anhything, not just "call home" or "Play Red Hot Chili Peppers", but rather "Find Portland, Oregon" and it will bring up the maps app, or "Find closest Hamburger joint" and boom! it will find it with a google search or even ask you what program. (Like on my phone I have not only google search, but I also have Yellow Book, so I can find that closest burger joint via the yellow pages on my phone and yes, it will do the current location deal)

I do agree some phones get updates later on and that can be a pain, but that mostly has to do with the skins the manufacturers put on and trust me, the stock android sucks big time. HTC Sense is about as close to a rich UI ad you can get besides iOS. Just wish the screens on the HTC phones were as good as Samsungs.

as for the apps, its not that they are behind, its just not many developers want to develop for Android. From what I heard apps on android can be a ***** to develop and the fact it uses google check out rather the thing on Apples side.

If Apple can develop a larger screen phone along side the 3.5" model, and improve many things in iOs 5 I may switch, but key things like the large screen, and some of androids rich features are keeping me with my EVO.
    01-12-2011 09:26 PM
    I agree now if android was the same way then it would be different but that wont happen since the manufactures like to put their skins on the phones which causes an ever increasing delay. Atleast once an update is out you can download it dont need to wait
    With the iPhone, you can only update via iTunes and with a cable. The nice thing about android is you can update over wifi, 3G or 4G. thats kind of a drawback. You could be out of town and chose to bring your iPad and not your laptop and there is a update. You have to wait till you get home to do it.

Over the air updates might be good for those who have unlimited plans. Those who don't might as well do it with wifi.
    01-12-2011 09:29 PM
    With the iPhone, you can only update via iTunes and with a cable. The nice thing about android is you can update over wifi, 3G or 4G. thats kind of a drawback. You could be out of town and chose to bring your iPad and not your laptop and there is a update. You have to wait till you get home to do it.

Over the air updates might be good for those who have unlimited plans. Those who don't might as well do it with wifi.
    Thats true but im sure most people could wait the extra day or so to update if they are out of town or not at their computer
    01-12-2011 10:03 PM
    The only thing that bugs me about my Droid X is the lack of an accessory culture like the iPod, iPhone, Touch, etc. I have an iPod charging/FM modulator in my car, i have an iPod portable speaker system, i have an iPod boombox, and i have a Droid X windshield mount...awesome. If there were cool accessories that supported these Android phones i might be more inclined to hang out a little longer.
    jharo likes this.
    01-12-2011 11:19 PM
    Thats true but im sure most people could wait the extra day or so to update if they are out of town or not at their computer
    WAIT AN EXTRA DAY?! ARE YOU MAD?!

seriously though...
    01-12-2011 11:20 PM
    WAIT AN EXTRA DAY?! ARE YOU MAD?!

seriously though...
    unlike android most of the things in updates for iphones you can wait an extra day i mean if you cant then bring your computer with you wherever you go
    01-12-2011 11:30 PM
    Yeah, but why wait? Why not do it right then and there. Seems more of the modern thing to do, then sit at your computer with a 3 foot cable.
    01-12-2011 11:40 PM
    Apps are better on the iPhone because people are willing to pay for them so long as they are of a good quality. Even Rovio (Angry Birds creator) said it's hard to get people to buy apps on Android. So why would the big developers waste time on making Android apps is beyond me.
    01-13-2011 04:10 AM
    What you fail to take into account is how much Rovio makes off of adds. I'm not sure what I want to get their are positives of both ios and android but the timing of this release and v5 of the iPhone makes me want to wait and see what apple brings to the table. But I know I will get this for the wifey
    Edit
    Also take into account apple's backup and restore system currently you have to be rooted to get anything close to that on android. But with automatic restoration of contacts apps calendar and some settings I don't know wish I could get both without voiding my warranty
    Last edited by thebizz; 01-13-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    01-13-2011 07:54 AM
    I am moving over to Apple. But I will miss some things about the android operating system. The notification system and the widgets will be the biggest. What I will not miss is the driod's OS dragging. I have the orginal droid and it has been a great, but kills me when either a app does not close or I'm flipping through screens and it drags. I think that what is one of the biggest issue with the andriod OS is too many models out there running it and they are running a differnet version. OH well won't matter to me much longer. Happily going to join the iphone groupies.
    01-13-2011 09:02 AM
    I am moving over to Apple. But I will miss some things about the android operating system. The notification system and the widgets will be the biggest. What I will not miss is the driod's OS dragging. I have the orginal droid and it has been a great, but kills me when either a app does not close or I'm flipping through screens and it drags. I think that what is one of the biggest issue with the andriod OS is too many models out there running it and they are running a differnet version. OH well won't matter to me much longer. Happily going to join the iphone groupies.
    I agree with what you've said. I'll definitely miss the widgets, Gmail integration, and Maps, and larger screens, but I'm looking forward to having more quality apps.
    01-13-2011 09:44 AM
    One thing about switching to an iphone is the ecosystem that exists for it.

There's the apple tv in the living room. There's the itunes library (along with apps) built up over the years. There's the ipod touch and ipad. My wife and i have iphones.

We're used to sharing apps, being able to use airplay on the tv, etc. For example, my 4 yr old can use her ipod to play any of her shows on the tv using airplay (which is only going to get better). My iphone is used as a GPS in car with a tomtom dock, as well as the music/radio hub.

I see many who just look at phones in a limited way. "My android has widgets..take that..you iphone user" I just roll my eyes at em. "WebOS can multitask better" Umm..that's nice.

When you switch phones, you're switching ecosystems. Instead of looking at a phone by itself, you should look at the whole picture.
    01-13-2011 09:56 AM

There's the apple tv in the living room. There's the itunes library (along with apps) built up over the years. There's the ipod touch and ipad. My wife and i have iphones.

We're used to sharing apps, being able to use airplay on the tv, etc. For example, my 4 yr old can use her ipod to play any of her shows on the tv using airplay (which is only going to get better). My iphone is used as a GPS in car with a tomtom dock, as well as the music/radio hub.

I see many who just look at phones in a limited way. "My android has widgets..take that..you iphone user" I just roll my eyes at em. "WebOS can multitask better" Umm..that's nice.

When you switch phones, you're switching ecosystems. Instead of looking at a phone by itself, you should look at the whole picture.
    You're right about ecosystems, my only concern is for us who are tied into the Google ecosystem and the things it provides will it be a comparable experience on iOS? I hope so and think it will be close.
    01-13-2011 10:14 AM

I own everything Apple in the house except the Iphone. Use Macbook for computer, Apple Tv and Ipod Touch 4g (although dont really use it). However for phone I use the EVO. The Evo can do everything you mention and some better. You can't beat Google for maps and GPS and its free. I have a Seidio dock for the car and it works great.

I use double twist to sync with my Itunes. Etc Etc. However I would eventually like the Iphone as I am a fanboy. I have the Evo because I have been on Sprint for 9 years and don't really want to change. Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Another function I really love about Android is almost everything has a long touch feature. Meaning if I am not sure how to do something on like a photo or something I just long press it and all the options come up. I wish Apple would do this more. It makes it much easier.

I do agree though that there is a eco system with Apple and they do work well together and in the end that is an appealing feature for me also.
    Last edited by buggyman; 01-13-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    01-13-2011 10:54 AM
    I own everything Apple in the house except the Iphone. Use Macbook for computer, Apple Tv and Ipod Touch 4g (although dont really use it). However for phone I use the EVO. The Evo can do everything you mention and some better. You can't beat Google for maps and GPS and its free. I have a Seidio dock for the car and it works great.

I use double twist to sync with my Itunes. Etc Etc. However I would eventually like the Iphone as I am a fanboy. I have the Evo because I have been on Sprint for 9 years and don't really want to change. Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Another function I really love about Android is almost everything has a long touch feature. Meaning if I am not sure how to do something on like a photo or something I just long press it and all the options come up. I wish Apple would do this more. It makes it much easier.

I do agree though that there is a eco system with Apple and they do work well together and in the end that is an appealing feature for me also.
    GPS is free on the iphone also since it has google maps
    01-13-2011 12:07 PM
    I don't have an iPhone...yet, so that's why I'm asking. Does it have Google navigation?
    01-13-2011 12:17 PM
    I don't have an iPhone...yet, so that's why I'm asking. Does it have Google navigation?
    No, that's an Android thing only. You can purchase navigation apps though.
    01-13-2011 01:20 PM
    Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Exactly. I went and played around with the iPhone the other day and while its nice, its a huge difference with the screen. Plus the larger screen, allows more content, so when you have the keyboard open, you can see more content at the same time, or if you are in landscape mode, the keyboard pops up, but the text filed zooms in so all you see is the white box that you are entering text in.

I also love that press and hold for more options. I also love how I can sync with my social networks. Like Facebook, I can access all my facebook contacts with out the need to go in the facebook app, send them a e-mail, message or text message, and of course give them a call (that is, if they added their phone number to their profile)

Take a photo or video, and share it or upload it to multiple services including non social networking sites like drop box right from the photo or video libary.

Don't forget the widgets. I have the Friendstream widget on page 3 of my home screens. I can enter a status update and post it to multiple services at once, or just one service. I also like the one touch widgets for turning on wifi, 4G, GPS, etc right from the home screen.

Hopefully Applke will do something with iOs 5

GPS is free on the iphone also since it has google maps
    But the stock maps app kind of lacks may thins that come on the maps app on android.

Its a GPS app that acts and looks just like a GPS unit. Voice control, the huge touch graphics, etc. There are many GPS apps on the iOS app store all do pretty much the same.

I, personally find just using the maps ap, and enter my destination is much easier, but thats just me
    Last edited by ChrisGonzales90; 01-13-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    01-13-2011 01:57 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD