My thoughts on switching from Android to iOS

buggyman

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
One thing about switching to an iphone is the ecosystem that exists for it.

There's the apple tv in the living room. There's the itunes library (along with apps) built up over the years. There's the ipod touch and ipad. My wife and i have iphones.

We're used to sharing apps, being able to use airplay on the tv, etc. For example, my 4 yr old can use her ipod to play any of her shows on the tv using airplay (which is only going to get better). My iphone is used as a GPS in car with a tomtom dock, as well as the music/radio hub.

I see many who just look at phones in a limited way. "My android has widgets..take that..you iphone user" I just roll my eyes at em. "WebOS can multitask better" Umm..that's nice.

When you switch phones, you're switching ecosystems. Instead of looking at a phone by itself, you should look at the whole picture.

I own everything Apple in the house except the Iphone. Use Macbook for computer, Apple Tv and Ipod Touch 4g (although dont really use it). However for phone I use the EVO. The Evo can do everything you mention and some better. You can't beat Google for maps and GPS and its free. I have a Seidio dock for the car and it works great.

I use double twist to sync with my Itunes. Etc Etc. However I would eventually like the Iphone as I am a fanboy. I have the Evo because I have been on Sprint for 9 years and don't really want to change. Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Another function I really love about Android is almost everything has a long touch feature. Meaning if I am not sure how to do something on like a photo or something I just long press it and all the options come up. I wish Apple would do this more. It makes it much easier.

I do agree though that there is a eco system with Apple and they do work well together and in the end that is an appealing feature for me also.

Last edited:

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I own everything Apple in the house except the Iphone. Use Macbook for computer, Apple Tv and Ipod Touch 4g (although dont really use it). However for phone I use the EVO. The Evo can do everything you mention and some better. You can't beat Google for maps and GPS and its free. I have a Seidio dock for the car and it works great.

I use double twist to sync with my Itunes. Etc Etc. However I would eventually like the Iphone as I am a fanboy. I have the Evo because I have been on Sprint for 9 years and don't really want to change. Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Another function I really love about Android is almost everything has a long touch feature. Meaning if I am not sure how to do something on like a photo or something I just long press it and all the options come up. I wish Apple would do this more. It makes it much easier.

I do agree though that there is a eco system with Apple and they do work well together and in the end that is an appealing feature for me also.

GPS is free on the iphone also since it has google maps

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Like others, once you have the bigger screen I would find it hard to go back to 3.5 inch screen. I need reading glasses and although the Iphone screen is clear it just would be better around 4 inches.

Exactly. I went and played around with the iPhone the other day and while its nice, its a huge difference with the screen. Plus the larger screen, allows more content, so when you have the keyboard open, you can see more content at the same time, or if you are in landscape mode, the keyboard pops up, but the text filed zooms in so all you see is the white box that you are entering text in.

I also love that press and hold for more options. I also love how I can sync with my social networks. Like Facebook, I can access all my facebook contacts with out the need to go in the facebook app, send them a e-mail, message or text message, and of course give them a call (that is, if they added their phone number to their profile)

Take a photo or video, and share it or upload it to multiple services including non social networking sites like drop box right from the photo or video libary.

Don't forget the widgets. I have the Friendstream widget on page 3 of my home screens. I can enter a status update and post it to multiple services at once, or just one service. I also like the one touch widgets for turning on wifi, 4G, GPS, etc right from the home screen.

Hopefully Applke will do something with iOs 5

GPS is free on the iphone also since it has google maps

But the stock maps app kind of lacks may thins that come on the maps app on android.

I don't have an iPhone...yet, so that's why I'm asking. Does it have Google navigation?

Its a GPS app that acts and looks just like a GPS unit. Voice control, the huge touch graphics, etc. There are many GPS apps on the iOS app store all do pretty much the same.

I, personally find just using the maps ap, and enter my destination is much easier, but thats just me

Last edited:

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think for the iphone 5/6 if they made it a 4inch screen with retina display it would be a huge seller, even more than it is now. I mean how long can you stay with the small screen? No need to go 4.3 but a 4 inch would be perfect and help with those who think 3.5 is to small

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As previously mentioned... while iOS apps are a little more expensive, they are generally more polished IMO. Another huge upside is sharing apps. If you and significant other want the same app on android, you both have to buy it, thats not the case with iOS (if both devices are registered on the same iTunes account)

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As previously mentioned... while iOS apps are a little more expensive, they are generally more polished IMO. Another huge upside is sharing apps. If you and significant other want the same app on android, you both have to buy it, thats not the case with iOS (if both devices are registered on the same iTunes account)

You can share apps on android. on iOS you both need to buy it, or enable the "authroize this computer", but that takes away a computer that could be used for you, and you have to go on their computer and enable it (since you have to enter your itunes e-mail and password) won't work if the other lives far away.

as for the size of screen. I think Apple would do a 3.7" then a 4". They seem to love small, off sizes. Eirther way I love my 4.3" screen

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You can share apps on android. on iOS you both need to buy it, or enable the "authroize this computer", but that takes away a computer that could be used for you, and you have to go on their computer and enable it (since you have to enter your itunes e-mail and password) won't work if the other lives far away.

as for the size of screen. I think Apple would do a 3.7" then a 4". They seem to love small, off sizes. Eirther way I love my 4.3" screen

How do you do this on Android? Is it possible to have the same Google Primary Account on 2 different phones? Adding a secondary account only syncs Calendar, Contact data.. not apps. I am not aware (and possibly you can and I am not aware of it) that you can have different Market credentials from the Primary Account.

Apple gives you 5 computers to sync.. and yes, you will lose one, that leaves you with 3 more to use for a total of 4 for yourself. How many people have more than 4 computers? I am guessing not that many.

I share iPad apps with my GF who lives out of state, I just authorize her iTunes account with my account on her laptop. Distance has nothing to do with it.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you do this on Android? Is it possible to have the same Google Primary Account on 2 different phones? Adding a secondary account only syncs Calendar, Contact data.. not apps. I am not aware (and possibly you can and I am not aware of it) that you can have different Market credentials from the Primary Account.

Apple gives you 5 computers to sync.. and yes, you will lose one, that leaves you with 3 more to use for a total of 4 for yourself. How many people have more than 4 computers? I am guessing not that many.

I share iPad apps with my GF who lives out of state, I just authorize her iTunes account with my account on her laptop. Distance has nothing to do with it.

You need to enter your e-mail and password from her computer. Unless you somehow trust her with your information theres no way to do this if you are not at her computer.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You need to enter your e-mail and password from her computer. Unless you somehow trust her with your information theres no way to do this if you are not at her computer.

Agreed.. there is a level of trust that is needed. But I trust her at age 43 more than I do my son at age 14. :D

How do you share apps on Android? I did not think you could.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just login to the market using the primary gmail account.

I am on a Droid Pro with 2.2 ... I dont see anywhere that I can logon to the Market with a different account. The settings in Market have nothing, nor does the basic phone settings. Where do you change your login?

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You would have to change your default Google account to a shared one just for market purposes. If your on 2.2 and up you can sync another Google account for email calendar etc

Reactions: kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You would have to change your default Google account to a shared one just for market purposes. If your on 2.2 and up you can sync another Google account for email calendar etc

Can the person getting the shared apps stop the syncing of email, calendar, contacts from the main account and just sync from their account?

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can the person getting the shared apps stop the syncing of email, calendar, contacts from the main account and just sync from their account?

What apps do you need to sync? i mean unless they are ones bought then you can just download them but if you bought them thats kind of like stealing buying one app and putting it on 2 phones.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What apps do you need to sync? i mean unless they are ones bought then you can just download them but if you bought them thats kind of like stealing buying one app and putting it on 2 phones.

no, because you already bought the app. Why would you need to buy it twice.

Android DID have a 24 hour return policy window. Now its 15 minuntes :mad:

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
no, because you already bought the app. Why would you need to buy it twice.

Android DID have a 24 hour return policy window. Now its 15 minuntes :mad:

you bought 1 app for 1 phone so yes therefore it is stealing. The only way it isnt if you got one phone got rid of that phone and got a new phone then your paid apps will be saved to your google account otherwise you dont deserve to pay for 1 app and use it on multiple phones

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
you bought 1 app for 1 phone so yes therefore it is stealing. The only way it isnt if you got one phone got rid of that phone and got a new phone then your paid apps will be saved to your google account otherwise you dont deserve to pay for 1 app and use it on multiple phones

Ship... Apple specifically states that you can have 5 devices on 1 iTunes account. That means that apps bought on 1 device will work on another if the other device can run the app. Example if you have 2 iPhones and 1 Touch on the same iTunes account, all 3 can run Angry Birds, but the account holder only pays for it once.

If it was stealing Apple wouldnt allow it.

With Android its the same thing.... Its obvious that if Google thought it was stealing they would close to "loop hole".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73