Experienced users please chime in. Please don't be biased.

I'm a happy owner of a jailbroken 3GS since July 09. I'm a heavy phone user. Data, talk, text.

Until today i was certain I will be ordering a iphone4 from at&t with my rebate at $200. But the Samsung Captivate caught my attention after reviews. I will be keeping my 3GS as a backup phone on a AT&T go plan for talk/text only.

Both the iPhone 4 and captivate are bad *** phones. But a $150 difference & it's right after Christmas time.

This is how I am as a user.

2500 texts a month
    30min to 1 hr talk time
    Almost use GPS daily
    Watch netflix movies through phone 2 tv cables

But I have 2 concerns. I will still be using my 3GS 2 text & having a phone like the captivate might be wierd to use both. 2nd concern is iPhone 4 reception or whatever issues if they haven't been fixed thru an update or if it's hardware related. If the only problem is just the way you hold the phone than I can deal with that.

So guys please help me out. I was on AT&T website fixing to order & than I just shut the computer down, lol

Josh
    01-11-2011 11:48 PM
    You're going to get very biased opinions as to which phone to buy on an iPhone forum! And to that end...get the iPhone!

And quite honestly, I think the sales people push the "other" phones because they make a better profit. As you know, they have to sell the iPhone at the same price as Apple. My sales guy pushed hard for me to buy ANY other phone than the iphone, but guess which phone HE had...
    01-11-2011 11:55 PM
    Go for the iPhone 4 .. I've played around with the Captivate and I personally just don't like the operating system and the way the phone works. You're paying more for the i4, but for a reason. I think the Captivate will be cool for a while, but after a couple of weeks you would have wished you went with the i4.

As for the issues, I'm pretty sure they're fixed. I've had the iPhone 4 for a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues (antennae, proximity sensor, etc) .. I've even tried to make the antennae go out, but it didn't - I don't think it's as big as everyone made it seem. I'm sure there were more "good" iPhones than there were iPhones with issues.
    01-11-2011 11:56 PM
    Go for the Captivate..............................now that we got that out of the way I'm going to say iPhone 4 and that is because I have one. It's a wicked phone and having already used an iPhone you've got apps and you're used to the interface. If you just want a change in phone I can understand that in all honesty the best thing to do is join a forum for the captivate and read through threads to see what people are saying about the phone. The issues you mentioned were blown out of proportion and also partially AT&Ts fault. There hasn't been complaints in a long, long time.
    01-12-2011 12:14 AM
    From a FORMER ip4 user... DITCH it.. Go Captivate! You will NOT regret it once you have it set up the way YOU want it.. It is after all your phone right?

Just my 0.02
    01-12-2011 01:24 AM
    I thought AT&T wouldn't allow pay as you goweren't they charging people for a data plan as soon as the network detected iPhone usage?
    01-12-2011 01:41 AM
    Get the i4... stuff was blown WAY out of proportion, I love my i4 and I couldn't and wouldn't go back to anything else, and literally EVERYONE i know who has VZW wants an i4 now too lol get the i4
    BryanTheRed likes this.
    01-12-2011 02:24 AM
    NEITHER! Wait until June! iPhone 5 FTW!
    01-12-2011 02:47 AM
    Good point wait for the i5 lol
    01-12-2011 02:57 AM
    Thanks guys. IP4 it is. As for the guy about AT&T won't let you use a pay as you plan. Doesn't mean you can't.

All you have to do is get a AT&T sim either from the store or get a cheap go phone. Either way do not activate or setup the account with the sim in the go phone. After you do all that throw the pin in the iPhone & you're ready. You can even change a few things to use the $20, 100-200 mb data plan option AT&T has on there pay as you go plan
    01-12-2011 07:03 AM
    I guess just be carefulI know it can be done, I'm just saying that I've heard of people getting hit with data plan fees they didn't expect.
    01-12-2011 09:22 AM
    Is the Iphone 5 really coming out in June?
    01-12-2011 10:28 AM
    Is the Iphone 5 really coming out in June?
    Most likely, that's when they usually release the next handset.
    01-12-2011 11:01 AM
    @Staticfiend

YES. It will be announced in June and available in late June or early July. Apple's product cycles are incredibly predictable and they aren't changing any time soon.
    01-12-2011 11:12 AM
    OP, you will not regret the getting the iP4

i've been so pleased with my iP4 that i am good until the iP6...?
    01-12-2011 01:10 PM
    OP, you will not regret the getting the iP4

i've been so pleased with my iP4 that i am good until the iP6...?
    Same here .. Unless there's a very significant difference in the i5, I most likely won't be upgrading till the i6. My gut tells me this will be a 3G -> 3GS upgrade this year ... Though I'm hoping I'm wrong and that the i5 will be another "revolutionary" change in the iPhone.
    01-12-2011 03:29 PM
    The captivate is a POS in comparison HAHA

Get an iPhone
    01-12-2011 04:24 PM
    go with the iphone 4, it's amazing, all the new vid chat features are top notch and i totally recommend it
    01-12-2011 04:29 PM
    @Blink
    You say that now but you don't know what the iPhone 5 offers. At the very least there will be marginal improvements, I'd say that's worth the wait.

Not to mention if you're on ATT (and likely vzw too), you'll be able to upgrade each year if you want to because your upgrade cycle will be in sync.

Every year I sell my old iPhone for $400ish and buy the new iPhone at $299 from my provider, making about $50...
    01-12-2011 05:18 PM
    @Blink
    You say that now but you don't know what the iPhone 5 offers. At the very least there will be marginal improvements, I'd say that's worth the wait.

Not to mention if you're on ATT (and likely vzw too), you'll be able to upgrade each year if you want to because your upgrade cycle will be in sync.

Every year I sell my old iPhone for $400ish and buy the new iPhone at $299 from my provider, making about $50...
    01-12-2011 06:13 PM
    Thanks guys. IP4 it is. As for the guy about AT&T won't let you use a pay as you plan. Doesn't mean you can't.

All you have to do is get a AT&T sim either from the store or get a cheap go phone. Either way do not activate or setup the account with the sim in the go phone. After you do all that throw the pin in the iPhone & you're ready. You can even change a few things to use the $20, 100-200 mb data plan option AT&T has on there pay as you go plan
    I think that you would have to get a new sim everytime you want more minutes
    or data. Once AT&T gets the imie and realizes you have an iPhone, they will add the data plan automatically to the sim you are using. It is probably doable, but you will have different phone numbers constantly for your contacts to keep up with.
    01-12-2011 07:54 PM
    If you really wanted to go android I would pass on the cappy and hold out for either the htc or moto that are coming out soon. I'm personally looking long and hard at the moto atrix. If you dont want to have to do a lot of tweaking, go iPhone. If you want to tinker, Android; but dont lock yourself in for 2 years for a captivate.
    Edit to add: just want to say i love the positives of both platforms - i am not a hater. Depending on the pricing and release point for the atrix, i may give android a try for at least 29 days but its not a platform I'd put my wife on - i4 all the way for her, less time playing tech support for me. If i end up not liking android, i4/5 will be waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by john_v; 01-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    01-12-2011 10:42 PM
    Yeh, I was happy as can in 09 with the 3GS but well not anymore. With so many phones with 1ghz processors & 512 ram. Plus the graphics, it's hard not to upgrade.

Another note. The Motorola Atrix is coming out 1st quarter on AT&T with a dual core processor & 1g ram. I seriously doubt Apple will let Motorola have a phone badder than them. So common senses in cell phone progression & close to equal competition. Imagine a Iphone5 with a dual core processor & 1g ram & like 1080 x 720 resolution with a 4 inch screen or even a 4.3 or 4.5 screen
    01-12-2011 11:37 PM
    I would agree about waiting for the iPhone 5. However, since you have interest in Android, I would say wait for the Samsung Infuse. Unlike the captivate it has a camera flash along with other improvements. In addition, unlike your captivate, the Infuse will have Android 2.2 Froyo. I would be afraid to get Samsung though just because Samsung doesn't seem big on pushing out Android updates.

Short version: Wait for iPhone 5, wait for Samsung Infuse, play with both, see how you like them. The iPhone 5 and Infuse will be exponentially better then the iPhone 4 and Captivate.
    01-13-2011 12:16 AM
    Imagine a Iphone5 with a dual core processor & 1g ram & like 1080 x 720 resolution with a 4 inch screen or even a 4.3 or 4.5 screen
    THIS. If Apple made the iPhone 5 with a bigger screen, I don't care if it was the ONLY improvement they made, I would be first in line.
    01-13-2011 12:19 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD