BB vs iPhone POP3 Email

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't say exactly how BB email works with POP3, but if I email myself from my computer I will get the email on the BB within 2-3 seconds without fail. I have used BB for over two years now and it has always been this way for me. I just got off the phone with Apple tech support and asked the very question I posted here and their repsonse was that the iPhone 4 will push the email the instant it receives one if that option is chosen on the phone. I asked again and he again verified that the mail delivery is immediate when set up that way. I also asked if it is polling at very short intervals and he said no it is pushing. I don't think it is actually pushing, but my greatest concern is to get the mail within seconds and he assured me of that. He also told me that I will get an email notification regardless of the state of the phone as long as it's turned on. If anyone disagrees with what the tech said please let me know as I am going to move to the iPhone if the mail works as the tech person told me. I will be calling Apple back to verify again just to be sure. I prefer not to use Gmail, Yahoo or the others for my business accounts for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate all of your feedback............

BB does not use POP3, it is pushed from RIM's servers to your phone. The iPhone can do push the same way via Exchange ActiveSync; The exchange server pushes the email to your phone instantly when it hits the server. On the iPhone if you just go into the mail client and type in your username/password into one of the email provider fields you will get IMAP for everything but Yahoo which natively supports push (although not that great). To get better push you need to setup an account that supports Exchange. Currently Gmail and Hotmail both give you this for free. You can find the setup instructions online easily. When you send an email to yourself to an account setup as Exchange it takes 1-2 seconds to get to your phone; at least it does for my Gmail account setup on through Exchange.

Honestly POP3 is barely used, it is outdated at this point. IMAP and push/Exchange/BES are the standards. IMAP mirrors what is on the server for all clients looking at mail but does not push. If an account is setup with IMAP you can set the iPhone to poll the server every few minutes to check for new emails. But push is still being pushed, there is no polling.

If you prefer not to use Gmail or Yahoo what email are you doing to use? I assume you are using BES right now.

Last edited:

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am using POP3 through GoDaddy and I receive my mail almost instantly and have since owning BB's. As my last post mentions I am going to look into GoDaddy's Exchange service as I have two business Domains registered with them and they are willing to offer additional discount on the monthly cost which is already quite low. I am not sure that I want to work within the Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail environment though. It all depends on how the mail responds if I do get the iPhone. Most everyone is telling me that I shouldn't be receiving mail as quickly as I am now with mine and my son's BB so I'll see how it is if do get the iPhone. Maybe whatever is going now will continue with the iPhone and if not I'll look into an Exchange option.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What email address do you get your emails sent too and do you check on your BB?

POP3 does not push, it just can't do it. What is likely happening is you setup your GoDaddy account which is POP3 with your BB. RIM polls that account server through POP3 every few minutes. When it finds a new email on the GoDaddy server it pulls it and pushes it to your BB. RIM's servers are doing the heavy lifting and giving you push for a POP3 server.

RIM is serving as the middle man from your GoDaddy account in the background.

With the iPhone (or really Exchange on any device) there is no middle man. It hits the email server for say Gmail and ActiveSync syncs up all devices connected to the account; webmail, outlook, phone, tablet, etc instantly.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My email is my @"mybusinessdomain".com not .comcast, .yahoo, etc which is hosted by GoDaddy. My BB is also setup in the same manner @"mybusinessdomain".com. and my son receive emails within seconds after they are sent and GoDaddy said they have nothing to do with. My son's emails are are a college email and a standard Yahoo account both on his BB. I have no idea how often the BIS server polls for mail, but whatever is happening I need to have the iPhone perform the way my BB does now. As I mentioned if I do get the iPhone I will try it without any Exchange or Apple service or and if it does not work as I need I'll sign up for a service.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Is there a gmail account requirement and does it have any influence over anything related to your email/domain and is there a cost?

Not sure what you mean by the first question.

You essentially ask them to host your mail. You can then provision accounts on there to have access to other things like google docs, calendar, shared contacts, etc. This essentially makes your my_name@mydomain.com a google account.

You get 25 ( or 50...somehow I was upgraded to 50 for free but a friend of mine is still stuck at 25 ) "accounts" for free. If you want more than that you need to upgrade to the premium service.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a requirement to set up a Gmail account to use their Exchange Services? I'm not sure I want to go that route and it might make more sense from a user management stand point to use GoDaddy as they are already hosting two of my Domains. It might be simplier to keep everything in one place so to speak. They have excellent tech support and are very responsive. I am able to speak with a tech immediately or within minutes and their support is located here in the states. I use other features from GoDaddy and will probably use a few more so again less overhead for me to manage.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My email is my @"mybusinessdomain".com not .comcast, .yahoo, etc which is hosted by GoDaddy. My BB is also setup in the same manner @"mybusinessdomain".com. and my son receive emails within seconds after they are sent and GoDaddy said they have nothing to do with. My son's emails are are a college email and a standard Yahoo account both on his BB. I have no idea how often the BIS server polls for mail, but whatever is happening I need to have the iPhone perform the way my BB does now. As I mentioned if I do get the iPhone I will try it without any Exchange or Apple service or and if it does not work as I need I'll sign up for a service.

From what I understand RIM's BIS connection to your third party email server is pretty much constant. Once you setup your accounts with BIS you can turn any email into push through the BB services you get with your phone. The same deal is happening with your son's email.

I don't know what services you are getting from GoDaddy but I did a quick search and they do offer Exchange hosted email/domains. You could setup your iPhone with the POP3 access but it won't push to the iPhone that way. If you are already getting other services from GoDaddy you may just want to keep it all in one place.

Last edited:

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I will most likely have to use an Exchange Service from you are saying. If that is so I do like GoDaddy for reasons stated in a previous reply. I do recommend them if one is looking for a solid company.

It is interesting that BB does go the extra mile and sets up a push environment without using BES. It really is beneficial.
Thanks..........

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Sounds good.....Thanks again for your advice.
I see your lost your Dad last May. My condolences...I lost my Mom last March.....86 yrs old.

Thanks, my Dad was 74 :( too soon. Sorry to hear about your Mom. No matter how old you are, you're never ready to face losing a parent.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly POP3 is barely used, it is outdated at this point. IMAP and push/Exchange/BES are the standards.

More than 80% of the world uses pop3 still.

to the OP: By mail icon/app i mean the app icon on the ip4... when you run it, it polls the mail servers if no push is available.

Toddzilla

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand RIM's BIS connection to your third party email server is pretty much constant. Once you setup your accounts with BIS you can turn any email into push through the BB services you get with your phone.

This. When you set up your pop3 email on your blackberry, it triggers the BIS server to maintain a persistent connection to your email server. When new mail arrives at your server, the BIS server picks it up and pushes it to your phone. This is not true 'push', as the BIS server is doing all the work, but the results are the same. You get your pop3 email instantly.

You will not have this functionality with iPhone pop3 because the iPhone directly polls your email server at a specified interval. There is no server in the middle maintain a persistent connection to your email server, or be told you have email waiting to be pushed to your iPhone. You will have a delayed email arrival.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense.........If I do get the iPhone I will have to get an Exchange Service.
Thanks............

It's not a matter of "getting an Exchange Service" but rather a matter of setting up your Gmail as an Exchange account.

When you setup your first email account (or subsequent accounts via Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account...) you will be presented with a choice of various email account "types"; Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, other. Select MS Exchange and proceed accordingly.

The Email and Username is your full address (including the @gmail.com portion).

Leave the Domain blank.

You'll eventually be prompted for a Server name. Enter "m.google.com"

That should do it, after which you can select Mail, Contacts and/or Calendars to sync, how many days to sync (for mail) and which Mail folders to push (by default it will be you inbox, but you can select any other folder - label - you've setup for you gmail account).

hugecanoli

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
It's not a matter of "getting an Exchange Service" but rather a matter of setting up your Gmail as an Exchange account.

When you setup your first email account (or subsequent accounts via Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account...) you will be presented with a choice of various email account "types"; Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, other. Select MS Exchange and proceed accordingly.

The Email and Username is your full address (including the @gmail.com portion).

Leave the Domain blank.

You'll eventually be prompted for a Server name. Enter "m.google.com"

That should do it, after which you can select Mail, Contacts and/or Calendars to sync, how many days to sync (for mail) and which Mail folders to push (by default it will be you inbox, but you can select any other folder - label - you've setup for you gmail account).

How many Gmail accounts are you allowed to set up this way on one phone?

Thank you for the great information.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
How many Gmail accounts are you allowed to set up this way on one phone?

Thank you for the great information.

Good question. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue, though I'm sure it's easy enough to find out.

I have both my gmail accounts setup on my device. I have no need for more, so I haven't really thought about any limit.

hugecanoli

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Good question. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue, though I'm sure it's easy enough to find out.

I have both my gmail accounts setup on my device. I have no need for more, so I haven't really thought about any limit.

Are they both set up the way you described via Exchange Active Sync?

I have two Gmail accounts and would like to utilize Push for both of them.

Thanks again.