Is there a requirement to set up a Gmail account to use their Exchange Services? I'm not sure I want to go that route and it might make more sense from a user management stand point to use GoDaddy as they are already hosting two of my Domains. It might be simplier to keep everything in one place so to speak. They have excellent tech support and are very responsive. I am able to speak with a tech immediately or within minutes and their support is located here in the states. I use other features from GoDaddy and will probably use a few more so again less overhead for me to manage.
    01-13-2011 02:59 PM
    Is there a requirement to set up a Gmail account to use their Exchange Services?
    When you use Google to host your mail, your my_name@mybusiness.com essentially becomes a google account.
    01-13-2011 03:11 PM
    Sounds good.....Thanks again for your advice.
    I see your lost your Dad last May. My condolences...I lost my Mom last March.....86 yrs old.
    big9erfan likes this.
    01-13-2011 03:20 PM
    My email is my @"mybusinessdomain".com not .comcast, .yahoo, etc which is hosted by GoDaddy. My BB is also setup in the same manner @"mybusinessdomain".com. and my son receive emails within seconds after they are sent and GoDaddy said they have nothing to do with. My son's emails are are a college email and a standard Yahoo account both on his BB. I have no idea how often the BIS server polls for mail, but whatever is happening I need to have the iPhone perform the way my BB does now. As I mentioned if I do get the iPhone I will try it without any Exchange or Apple service or and if it does not work as I need I'll sign up for a service.
    From what I understand RIM's BIS connection to your third party email server is pretty much constant. Once you setup your accounts with BIS you can turn any email into push through the BB services you get with your phone. The same deal is happening with your son's email.

I don't know what services you are getting from GoDaddy but I did a quick search and they do offer Exchange hosted email/domains. You could setup your iPhone with the POP3 access but it won't push to the iPhone that way. If you are already getting other services from GoDaddy you may just want to keep it all in one place.
    Last edited by sting7k; 01-13-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    01-13-2011 04:08 PM
    I will most likely have to use an Exchange Service from you are saying. If that is so I do like GoDaddy for reasons stated in a previous reply. I do recommend them if one is looking for a solid company.

It is interesting that BB does go the extra mile and sets up a push environment without using BES. It really is beneficial.
    Thanks..........
    01-13-2011 04:18 PM
    Sounds good.....Thanks again for your advice.
    I see your lost your Dad last May. My condolences...I lost my Mom last March.....86 yrs old.
    Thanks, my Dad was 74 too soon. Sorry to hear about your Mom. No matter how old you are, you're never ready to face losing a parent.
    01-13-2011 04:40 PM
    Honestly POP3 is barely used, it is outdated at this point. IMAP and push/Exchange/BES are the standards.
    More than 80% of the world uses pop3 still.

to the OP: By mail icon/app i mean the app icon on the ip4... when you run it, it polls the mail servers if no push is available.
    01-13-2011 11:13 PM
    More than 80% of the world uses pop3 still.
    source????
    01-14-2011 11:38 AM
    From what I understand RIM's BIS connection to your third party email server is pretty much constant. Once you setup your accounts with BIS you can turn any email into push through the BB services you get with your phone.
    This. When you set up your pop3 email on your blackberry, it triggers the BIS server to maintain a persistent connection to your email server. When new mail arrives at your server, the BIS server picks it up and pushes it to your phone. This is not true 'push', as the BIS server is doing all the work, but the results are the same. You get your pop3 email instantly.

You will not have this functionality with iPhone pop3 because the iPhone directly polls your email server at a specified interval. There is no server in the middle maintain a persistent connection to your email server, or be told you have email waiting to be pushed to your iPhone. You will have a delayed email arrival.
    01-14-2011 10:26 PM
    That makes sense.........If I do get the iPhone I will have to get an Exchange Service.
    Thanks............
    01-15-2011 12:29 PM
    That makes sense.........If I do get the iPhone I will have to get an Exchange Service.
    Thanks............
    It's not a matter of "getting an Exchange Service" but rather a matter of setting up your Gmail as an Exchange account.

When you setup your first email account (or subsequent accounts via Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account...) you will be presented with a choice of various email account "types"; Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, other. Select MS Exchange and proceed accordingly.

The Email and Username is your full address (including the @gmail.com portion).

Leave the Domain blank.

You'll eventually be prompted for a Server name. Enter "m.google.com"

That should do it, after which you can select Mail, Contacts and/or Calendars to sync, how many days to sync (for mail) and which Mail folders to push (by default it will be you inbox, but you can select any other folder - label - you've setup for you gmail account).
    01-16-2011 11:06 AM
    It's not a matter of "getting an Exchange Service" but rather a matter of setting up your Gmail as an Exchange account.

When you setup your first email account (or subsequent accounts via Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account...) you will be presented with a choice of various email account "types"; Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, other. Select MS Exchange and proceed accordingly.

Leave the Domain blank.

That should do it, after which you can select Mail, Contacts and/or Calendars to sync, how many days to sync (for mail) and which Mail folders to push (by default it will be you inbox, but you can select any other folder - label - you've setup for you gmail account).
    How many Gmail accounts are you allowed to set up this way on one phone?

Thank you for the great information.
    01-16-2011 11:58 AM
    People still use POP3?
    01-16-2011 12:59 PM
    How many Gmail accounts are you allowed to set up this way on one phone?

Thank you for the great information.
    Good question. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue, though I'm sure it's easy enough to find out.

I have both my gmail accounts setup on my device. I have no need for more, so I haven't really thought about any limit.
    01-16-2011 02:10 PM
    Good question. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue, though I'm sure it's easy enough to find out.

I have both my gmail accounts setup on my device. I have no need for more, so I haven't really thought about any limit.
    Are they both set up the way you described via Exchange Active Sync?

I have two Gmail accounts and would like to utilize Push for both of them.

Thanks again.
    01-16-2011 02:49 PM
    Are they both set up the way you described via Exchange Active Sync?

I have two Gmail accounts and would like to utilize Push for both of them.

Thanks again.
    Yes. Both of my gmail accounts are setup that way.
    01-16-2011 03:10 PM
    When using IPhone to retrieve email from pop3 is there an option to leave a copy of the email on the pop3 server? With BB there is.
    01-16-2011 08:23 PM

Leave the Domain blank.

Appreciate your advice. I'm not sure if I will use Google's Exchange/ActiveSync Service, but I will from all accounts need to use a third party as I don't want to build an Exchange Server.
    01-16-2011 10:39 PM
    When using IPhone to retrieve email from pop3 is there an option to leave a copy of the email on the pop3 server? With BB there is.
    Yes. Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>ATT (or which ever you use)>Advanced>Delete from server "Never"
    01-17-2011 08:39 AM
    Appreciate your advice. I'm not sure if I will use Google's Exchange/ActiveSync Service, but I will from all accounts need to use a third party as I don't want to build an Exchange Server.
    Good lord man, you don't need to invest in 3rd party sw (unless you count gmail as 3rd party) and you certainly don't need to "build" anything. MS Exchange/Active Sync is one of the options built into IOS.

I've tried to be as clear as I can, but this link may clarify things more for you:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help
    TRACC likes this.
    01-17-2011 05:28 PM
    Gmail is 3rd party as is Hotmail (Microsoft), Yahoo etc. I have reasons why I am not leaning towards any of those, but I haven't made up my mind. My alternative is only 5-6.00/month which is minimal and has its benefits. The build of the Exchange Server was more of....I certainly wouldn't go that far, but I do have servers running just not Exchange.
    I do appreciate your suggestions though as I do realize they work for many.
    01-17-2011 06:20 PM
    At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'll say this one more time: you don't need your own server.

If you choose not to use google or hotmail or yahoo or any other cloud based service, that's your perogative. But if you're planning to not use them because you think you need your own server running exchange, that's incorrect. MS Exchange (ActiveSync) is a service already available to IOS with no additional requirements (other than to be using supported mail service such as gmail).
    TRACC likes this.
    01-17-2011 07:10 PM
    Once again I do appreciate your advice, but I'm not sure why you think that I would build/use my own server. If I led you to believe that I have intentions to build one then I didn't make myself clear. I am not going to build an Exchange Server. I don't think I ever mentioned that I would. In fact, I mentioned a number of times that I would need to use a third party service and they are all SaaS via their own Exchange Service offerings whether it's Apple, Google or any number of other company's products/apps. I also mentioned that I am not leaning towards the Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. offerings as they might not be the best solution for my environment. With that said I thank you again for your concern and I am going to review my options and find the best solution that works for my situation............
    01-17-2011 09:06 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD