Simultaneous Voice & Data

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope ? navigation apps use data, and therefore you can't use them while on the phone.

You sure about that? Nav Apps that download maps as you drive use data for sure. But there are Nav Apps that install all the needed maps when you buy them. Navigon and a few others do as well... they also take up a bunch of your phone's storage as well, 1GB+

If the maps are preinstalled, then I see no need for the phone to use data to navigate, you would only need the phone's GPS to work.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a question, if you are on Verizon and you are with someone else with their mobile hotspot turned on will you be able to talk and surf while on their connection? I would think yes.

Last edited:

Toddzilla

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The type of user that frequents a message board such as this one is most likely not your average user. We would be more inclined to use voice and data at the same time. That being said, those of us on Verizon will find it a non-issue. We already have alternate methods. Wifi anyone?

I'd rather have Verizon's solid service than a phone with AT&T that i may not actually be able to use as a phone.

rickyb92

May 23, 2010
Visit site
simultaneous voice & data never mattered to me. if you are an existing verizon customer, you never had it so how can you miss something you never had. it is a great feature to have though.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have Verizon's solid service than a phone with AT&T that i may not actually be able to use as a phone.

I understand what you are trying to say... but you have to realize that there are some areas where AT&T's service is actually very good/solid/reliable. I happen to live in one of them.

jscholz22

Jul 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with HankAZ. At my work only AT&T and Tmo get reception inside the building. Therefore, i have no choice. Verizon simply searches for signal all day and drains the battery. I came from Verizon. One would think that coming from Verizon that they wouldn't use simultaneous data and voice, but once you have that option you quickly realize that you can utilize it. I use this ability on a daily basis, particularly navigation (NAVIGON) and talking over bluetooth in my car. If you don't have it now, and have never had it, then maybe you will never know what you are missing. It will be like your soon to be iPhone addiction.....trust me if you haven't owned an iPhone you are in for a treat!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
@scholz22.... i thought Navigon installs all the maps it needs on your phone, therefore having a data connection to retrieve maps-as-you-go is not necessary, only your phone's GPS.

Am I mistaken?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Those of you on Verizon keep saying how can you miss somehing you never had. The point is when someone with a Verizon iPhone tries to do it because their friend or whoever has an iPhone on AT&T do it all the time how do you explain to them why the same phone can do it on AT&T but not on Verizon?

Reactions: Entertainment72

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would love to do it. I have lived without for this long. I have waited to get my VerIphone. I'll live with it until LTE.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
The type of user that frequents a message board such as this one is most likely not your average user. We would be more inclined to use voice and data at the same time. That being said, those of us on Verizon will find it a non-issue. We already have alternate methods. Wifi anyone?

I disagree, my wife, sister, her son and their father don't even know what forums are and use the simultaneous voice and data much more than I do. The not being able to use the phone part on AT&T is soooooo blown out of proportion by Verizon users that it's downright criminal.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
As I at least see it now I could not imagine for this to be a deal breaker for me either.

Eventually VZW will have voice and data but I am use to having the type of service I have and will continue to enjoy the same level of service on a brand new iphone.

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've never actually thought about using voice and data at the same time and think it's rude to be browsing the web or checking email while talking anyway so I don't have a problem not being able to do it. That being said, most bloggers or tech analysts have it all wrong. Your 3G connection doesn't drop just because you have an incoming call, it only stops once you accept the call, meaning you can continue browsing the web or using your hotspot when a call comes in, ignore it and just call the person back when you're finished. Downloads aren't usually affected by this either, they usually just resume as soon as you hang up the phone.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and I face the same issue. I don't really care since when I'm talking to someone I give them my full attention and not text message someone or post a status update.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and I face the same issue. I don't really care since when I'm talking to someone I give them my full attention and not text message someone or post a status update.

We are on the phone and I say hey what time does that game start again? You nor I remember.. but you HAVE to look at your email confirmation to find out.. trust me it happens! Of course you can say I'll call you right back but....why.. when you don't have to.. ;) It's not a matter of not giving someone your full attention but enhancing your attention.

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Forgot to mention: You can actually receive and send txt messages while on a phone call on CDMA networks! (That's another common misconception by those who've never tried the wonders of CDMA, haha)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73