Simultaneous Voice & Data

Enzo83

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not scared or going to cry that I won't receive mail or can't go on my web with my phone facing my mouth like a walkie-talkie. Never have cared to do that, and I can wait for those things to come through. I guess we all have to be a little bit more patient. Even mail and web. lol. Not an issue for me. I do find it annoying that AT&T using only the iPhone on Verizon to bash the network---hello, it's all Verizon phones. Shows how low AT&T will go to 'attack' the BEST network. Hey AT&T--don't be jelly!! Muahahahahaha!!!! Would you rather cry over not getting any signal or not receiving email/web during a 10 minute call? lol.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I notice a lot of Verizon/Sprint users saying, "who needs it", but when it comes down to it, they would being using it more than they thought.

I had at&t 2G (edge) blackberry devices while they had 3G offerings from other companies (before the iPhone came out) and I felt it wasn't that important until I got my wishes granted with the 3G iPhone and BlackBerry Bold. It's great to be on the phone and still able to check your work/personal email, facebook, twitter and all other datacentric apps. I can be on the phone with my girl and check out a movie in the Flixster app while she's still on the phone and then also find a restaurant near just in case we wanted to eat before going to the movies or after.

It's not always NEEDED, but it definitely would be used a lot more than people think.

Edit: As a manager for AT&T, if I was on a conference call on my BlackBerry for an extended period of time, usually an hour or more, as soon as I ended the call, it would be non-stop vibrations for incoming emails and from other apps that use data.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I notice a lot of Verizon/Sprint users saying, "who needs it", but when it comes down to it, they would being using it more than they thought.

(snip)

It's not always NEEDED, but it definitely would be used a lot more than people think.

Maybe. All I'm saying is for Verizon folks, they're not going to "miss" something they don't have, and still won't with the new iPhone... and those people who have a CDMA smart phone that truly need the always available data don't rely on their smart phones for it - they have other resources to fill that need... and who knows, the CDMA Development group is working on the fix for this, it's supposed to be out any time now - and hopefully, it won't be a big deal to deploy - and they do deploy, and make this whole "argument" moot. :)

FireFish

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
To anyone that thinks this is a big deal/deal breaker:

Current CDMA smartphone users do not have this ability now - so, for them, it's much ado over nothing. And for those people who have CDMA smartphones and also need an always available data connection - they have and use data solutions that are not centered on their smartphone.

There are plenty of Verizon users, like myself, that have grown tired of their current device, (mine a BB Tour) and are unimpressed by any of the Droid offerings... we will now have another choice besides Palm, or a Windblows phone :D

Just sayin'. :)

Heh heh; try posting that again while talking on your iPhone 4 on the oldest cellular platform in the world (in case you weren't aware, Europe officially adopted GSM to replace the antiquated CDMA mobile protocol, . . . over 9+ years ago!)
:D

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
BS stop being in denial this is a big deal. And if you never had it before how in the world can you judge it? Verizon 3G speeds is slower and the fact you can't multitask is a big deal period. Look at the current poll most AT&T users are staying. I can see the ones switching that are in terrible areas. No one will switch for an inferior phone. And we love to multitask, alot of people use it they just dont realize it.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's not a big deal either. Actually, it's not a problem at all because I rarely use my phone as a phone anymore. The only people I call are family nowadays, and that's when I'm sitting at home on the couch. Last month I used 14 minutes. Heh. So for me, a senior in college, it's not a big deal at all. Texting is faster, more efficient and stored on the device for access later.

And to the people trying to force GSM down our throats *cough cough post above* let me ask you: what good is GSM if there's none in your area? This is certainly a case of quantity over quality. Most of the time, my BlackBerry Tour, on VZW, is a more efficient device than my friends' because they hit so many dead zones. Trust me, if AT&T were functional in my area, I'd have switched long ago ? but it's not. In my hometown there's no signal, where I attend school has overcrowded towers. Can't win.

To each his own, but for me, the Verizon iPhone is my best option, with or without data during calls :)

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
BS stop being in denial this is a big deal. And if you never had it before how in the world can you judge it? Verizon 3G speeds is slower and the fact you can't multitask is a big deal period. Look at the current poll most AT&T users are staying. I can see the ones switching that are in terrible areas. No one will switch for an inferior phone. And we love to multitask, alot of people use it they just dont realize it.

Where on earth did you get the opinion you cannot multitask on Verizon? You can, and quite well I might add ? you just can't bug out on the person on the phone who's apparently not important enough for you to actually pay attention to them, and must do something else :p

It's only a big deal to the people who've had it; those of us who have never had it don't need it. Period.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Look tool simultaneously using voice and data is part of multitasking. And definitely not part of Verizon multitasking.

Whoa bro, you mad? No need for name-calling; I was merely pointing out the error of your statement, where you state that you cannot multitask on Verizon, which is incorrect. Maybe for you, on AT&T, it's PART of your multitasking experience, but for those of us already on Verizon, it is not. Why do you care so much? You're obviously on AT&T, why do you care about the Verizon Iphone enough to come into these forums to dis it? You're not even faced with the issue, so why are you complaining?

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Man this is crazy why does everyone talk crap about this if you need it stick with Att but for me and alot of people we don't need it at all times and most of the times I need it I have wifi so it's a non issue. And before you judge me I've been on all 4 us carriers and a few in Europe. Give me the service were I need it

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Heh heh; try posting that again while talking on your iPhone 4 on the oldest cellular platform in the world (in case you weren't aware, Europe officially adopted GSM to replace the antiquated CDMA mobile protocol, . . . over 9+ years ago!)
:D
Easy. I'd talk on my CDMA iPhone while using my laptop, with the data connection I have on my laptop that doesn't involve my iPhone because that's important to me.... Viola. Simultaneous voice and data. :D

haters gotta hate... :eek:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I can multitask easily. I can talk on my CDMA phone, and use my laptop, with it's own data solution because that's a big deal to me.... when you try and make one device the jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

The one in denial is you. The discussion was brought up by me in the first place to quell a lot of the AT&T people hating on this new phone, because it, and Verizon are "inferior". They're not. Just different. And I pointed out in the original post, that the power users already likely have data solutions that meet their needs without "simultaneous voice and data" on their phones. And it works just fine for them. The other reason I brought this up was to be a caveat emptor for AT&T customers thinking of switching. Better to know something ahead of time,, and be able to make an informed decision.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can multitask easily. I can talk on my CDMA phone, and use my laptop, with it's own data solution because that's a big deal to me.... when you try and make one device the jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

The one in denial is you. The discussion was brought up by me in the first place to quell a lot of the AT&T people hating on this new phone, because it, and Verizon are "inferior". They're not. Just different. And I pointed out in the original post, that the power users already likely have data solutions that meet their needs without "simultaneous voice and data" on their phones. And it works just fine for them. The other reason I brought this up was to be a caveat emptor for AT&T customers thinking of switching. Better to know something ahead of time,, and be able to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately, what you say is true. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, do something about it. But there's no need for the haters to hate like they do.

I am very happy with AT&T, no coverage issues for me, and I don't think I've dropped more than a dozen calls in 7+ years with AT&T. That works for ME. What works for may be the same, or it may be different.

If you've neve had a feature, and therefore never used it, yet managed to "get by" this long, odds are that you don't need that feature.

Your point about the "heads up" for AT&T customers considering switching is definitely a good one... had no one mentioned it, they'd be crying in their beer when they discovered the "missing" feature... but the bottom line is you have to go with what works for you...

Thanks for your insight.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok I was out line. My point is that for us AT&T users it is a big deal and an awesome feature. I understand if you have been with big red it is not a big deal. At the end this move benefit us all. Competition is good. Cheers!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I love the simultaneous voice/data, after being with big red a year or so ago and having it now, no way I could go back lol

billbees

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Voice + Data is a plus!

I can't tell you how many times I was on the iPhone driving and needed to look for a destination (AroundMe) during a call. Question...Will you be able to use voice and a navigation app on Verizon at the same time???

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I was on the iPhone driving and needed to look for a destination (AroundMe) during a call. Question...Will you be able to use voice and a navigation app on Verizon at the same time???

Nope ? navigation apps use data, and therefore you can't use them while on the phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR