As I at least see it now I could not imagine for this to be a deal breaker for me either.

Eventually VZW will have voice and data but I am use to having the type of service I have and will continue to enjoy the same level of service on a brand new iphone.
    01-15-2011 05:48 PM
    I've never actually thought about using voice and data at the same time and think it's rude to be browsing the web or checking email while talking anyway so I don't have a problem not being able to do it. That being said, most bloggers or tech analysts have it all wrong. Your 3G connection doesn't drop just because you have an incoming call, it only stops once you accept the call, meaning you can continue browsing the web or using your hotspot when a call comes in, ignore it and just call the person back when you're finished. Downloads aren't usually affected by this either, they usually just resume as soon as you hang up the phone.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    01-16-2011 06:59 PM
    I'm on Sprint and I face the same issue. I don't really care since when I'm talking to someone I give them my full attention and not text message someone or post a status update.
    01-16-2011 08:18 PM
    I'm on Sprint and I face the same issue. I don't really care since when I'm talking to someone I give them my full attention and not text message someone or post a status update.
    We are on the phone and I say hey what time does that game start again? You nor I remember.. but you HAVE to look at your email confirmation to find out.. trust me it happens! Of course you can say I'll call you right back but....why.. when you don't have to.. It's not a matter of not giving someone your full attention but enhancing your attention.
    01-16-2011 08:30 PM
    Forgot to mention: You can actually receive and send txt messages while on a phone call on CDMA networks! (That's another common misconception by those who've never tried the wonders of CDMA, haha)
    01-16-2011 11:20 PM
    We are on the phone and I say hey what time does that game start again? You nor I remember.. but you HAVE to look at your email confirmation to find out.. trust me it happens! Of course you can say I'll call you right back but....why.. when you don't have to.. It's not a matter of not giving someone your full attention but enhancing your attention.
    Could you view the email though if you had already viewed it previously? I thought it would be just new emails that wouldn't come through. So if I had gotten the confirmation email Monday morning and read it and then I am talking to my friend on the phone Monday evening about the game, couldn't I check that same email while on the phone?
    01-17-2011 09:45 AM
    Could you view the email though if you had already viewed it previously? I thought it would be just new emails that wouldn't come through. So if I had gotten the confirmation email Monday morning and read it and then I am talking to my friend on the phone Monday evening about the game, couldn't I check that same email while on the phone?
    That is correct, if the email or whatever has already been pushed to the device you can view it while you are on the phone. The applications still work. You just can't download new emails while you were on the phone.
    01-17-2011 09:48 AM
    The inability to offer simultaneous voice and data is a big deal for those who like to do a lot of stuff while talking or playing. Which is why I feel verizon offered the hotspot as a way of saying hey sorry we cant offer that so here have this! To be honest it would be nice to have a hotspot on my ATT phone but I would prefer to have simultaneous data over that any day!
    01-17-2011 04:03 PM
    Almost everywhere I go I have wifi available. The vast majority of time when I don't have have wifi is when I am in my car. Thats the last place you should be worried about simultaneous voice and data.

Those of you that commute via public transportation.... thats a totally understandable exception to the rule.
    01-17-2011 04:09 PM
    Think of it this way. Would you like to be talking to your friend about a problem and they are busy texting or playing on their phone? No you wouldn't like it at all.

This is only a big deal because Apple made it a big deal.
    01-17-2011 05:40 PM
    Actually, I think it is an important feature but AT&T is spotty for where I live. As long as Verizon is right up front about what features it is offering, and which it is not, then there is no argument just a decision I need to make to buy now or wait.
    01-17-2011 06:19 PM
    How about locating an address on the web, using a critical business app (Teamviewer etc.) (LogMeIn Ignition helping my parents)? It happens more than people think, I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker for many but still a very nice option to have.
    01-18-2011 07:33 PM
    I wanna ask a question here, I've always had simultaneous voice and data so sorry if this has already been said somewhere or seems like common knowledge. Would a text message count as data? The reason I ask is because all the people who say they can do without simultaneous voice & data do you serious not text someone while you're on the phone ever?
    01-26-2011 04:20 PM
    Well one could only hope

Confirmed: HTC Thunderbolt Can Handle Data and Voice Over 3G - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If they can do it to this, they may bring it to other handsets.
    01-26-2011 04:23 PM
    I wanna ask a question here, I've always had simultaneous voice and data so sorry if this has already been said somewhere or seems like common knowledge. Would a text message count as data? The reason I ask is because all the people who say they can do without simultaneous voice & data do you serious not text someone while you're on the phone ever?
    I've never had a need to send a text while talking. Personally, I've never really seen much of a need for text messages at all - but that's probably a generational thing. Is it technically possible to send/get texts while talking?? I don't know.
    01-26-2011 04:27 PM
    ... You can send a text while on the phone... and i thought it counted as data... well, it is data... yea, not sure... But you can 100% for sure send and receive texts while on a phone call...
    01-26-2011 04:28 PM
    The text messaging uses the control channel on the cell phone - not the data channel - which is how they can bill text messages separately from data.
    01-26-2011 04:32 PM
    OK so people on Verizon can send texts while talking on the phone? if so then it must not be data but instead going through voice? I have always had GSM phones so I've always been able to do it. I'm not saying people would need to do it all day long but I find it weird that someone has never checked through texts while on the phone and maybe need to reply back to a text. Then again I also check email and surf while I'm on the phone so perhaps I'm not the ideal candidate here LOL
    01-26-2011 04:34 PM
    I text while talking all the time for work.......i also use beejive for googlechat while on the phone. This is a must have!!
    01-28-2011 08:13 AM
    Texts (not MMS, but texts) send over the Verizon voice network, so you can send and receive texts while talking.

As mentioned multiple times, you can do simultaneous voice and data while connected to wifi.
    01-28-2011 10:24 AM
    I like using data while on a call. I have been using it that way since 2007 when I had the first iPhone!
    01-29-2011 08:59 AM
    Doesn't matter to me. I have never had them together
    01-29-2011 06:09 PM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD